Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > what are 80 conductor cables?

what are 80 conductor cables?

loohye

i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
"Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
power supply....what could be the problem?
==============

Will Dormann

loohye wrote:

> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
> power supply....what could be the problem?

Try re-seating your IDE cables at the drive and motherboard ends.
Also, make sure that your IDE cables are of the 80-conductor variety (as
opposed to 40). If you aren't sure how to check that, I'm not sure what
to suggest.

-WD

AG

"loohye" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:413d0fab$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
> power supply....what could be the problem?
> ==============
> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

An 80 conductor cable is necessary for most modern hard drives of over 8
gigs or are ATA 66, 100 or whatever the latest is. You can tell the
difference between them by looking carefully at the cable that's plugged
into a CDROM, which is usually a 40 wire cable. There are twice as many
wires in the 80 wire cable so they look smaller and the cable is smoother.
It should work anyway but it will slow data speeds to ATA-33.
Article here:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/15,28.html

AG

Solomon Kozanski

"loohye" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:413d0fab$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
> power supply....what could be the problem?
> ==============
> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

www.CertFAQ.com

the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
cables.
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

jjw

"Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
> cables.
> --
> Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

although most of your posts are dead on, they are seldom or never useful.
lol

jjw

jjw

"Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "loohye" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:413d0fab$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
>> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
>> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
>> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
>> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
>> power supply....what could be the problem?
>> ==============
>> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

> www.CertFAQ.com
>
> the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
> cables.
> --
> Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

newer drives need what are called 80 pin cables instead of 40 pins cables.
I think the extra 40 pins are just grounds, but they are needed for newer
drives, I believe for drives that are ATA66 or faster. ususally when u by a
drive, it will come with an ide cable, and if it needs an 80 pin cable, it
will usually come with an 80 pin cable.

jjw

Solomon Kozanski

"jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "loohye" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in

message
> > news:413d0fab$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and

will
> >> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer

but
> >> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor

cable
> >> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots

> >> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
> >> power supply....what could be the problem?
> >> ==============
> >> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

> > www.CertFAQ.com
> >
> > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
> > cables.
> > --
> > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
> >

> newer drives need what are called 80 pin cables instead of 40 pins

cables.
> I think the extra 40 pins are just grounds, but they are needed for

newer
> drives, I believe for drives that are ATA66 or faster. ususally

when u by a
> drive, it will come with an ide cable, and if it needs an 80 pin

cable, it
> will usually come with an 80 pin cable.
>
> jjw

actually the extra cables are intended to eat up the excess electrical
field and prevent inductive crosstalk (RF) which is common with high
frequency wiring and has a tendency to induce fields in just about
anything nearby with delocalized electrons (e.g., metal), which
explains why they're grounded. if you're gonna eat up induction,
nothing's better than 0V!

they probably would have been better off just using four or eight high
speed miniature coaxial wires, but since cost is a factor, i can say
they didn't do too bad of a job.
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

Solomon Kozanski

"madmax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j364d.82887$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Solomon Kozanski,hitting the bong one more time,exhaled:
> > "loohye" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in

message
> > news:413d0fab$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and

will
> >>work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
> >>that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor

cable
> >>installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots

> >>"Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
> >>power supply....what could be the problem?
> >>==============
> >>For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

> > www.CertFAQ.com
> >
> > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
> > cables.
> > --
> > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
> >

> Perhaps he did not realize he needed different cables.
> What is wrong with trying to save money?
> From reading your posts I see you are the resident **** here.
> (every group has one)

the point i'm trying to make is that if you're trying to get the most
bang for your buck, there's no excuse for buying an ATA-133 drive, a
system with an ATA-133 interface, and then bottleneck it down to 33
MBs because you're too cheap to spend 20 bucks; in fact, you're
WASTING more than that by spending the extra money for the better
technology you dont intend to use!
--

http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
> This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
> Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Solomon Kozanski

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Solomon Kozanski wrote:
> >
> > the point i'm trying to make is that if you're trying to get the

most
> > bang for your buck, there's no excuse for buying an ATA-133

drive, a
> > system with an ATA-133 interface, and then bottleneck it down to

33
> > MBs because you're too cheap to spend 20 bucks
> >

> TWENTY BUCKS ????? I buy 80-conductor cables for $3 to $6.

that makes loohye look like even more of a cheapskate
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

Solomon Kozanski

"madmax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W6L4d.22196$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But he said that he replaced the power not the drive."i just put in

> new power supply" "i didn't change anything else on my computer"
> Sounds like the cable for the drive is either loose or installed

wrong.
> I agree with what you say about "bottleneck".
> He should check his connections again-making sure he has the correct
> cables .I assume that everything worked before the install of new
> power supply.
> -max
> --
> To help you stay safe see:

http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
> This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
> Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

its possible his new "universal power supply" doesnt properly ground
the extra conductors, or grounds them in such a way they are
universally linked to a common bus (i.e., no individual diode
rectifier circuits to prevent induced currents from receding back into
other conductors, thus actually *enhancing* crosstalk)
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill