Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > need help tracking down an abusing emailer

need help tracking down an abusing emailer

Tony

I have been getting harrassing, threatening emails from someone.

It is from someone using an email address that is an obvious fake name.

Date: 8/30/2004 6:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: john smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: i'm a dick
To: (removed for my protection)

I used Visual Trace Route and it didnt get me too far, other than that the person is using optonline
(here on Long Island - a cable ISP). Can anyone here think of anything else I can do to track down
this person's approximate location, or if there is anything in the above headers that give a clue?

Thanks

Tony

Tony

Disregard this post. I emailed the guy and told him I was reporting him to the authorities and that
I knew his employer and ISP and he caved in and spilled the beans. Problem solved!

Tony

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:00:38 GMT, Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>I have been getting harrassing, threatening emails from someone.
>
>It is from someone using an email address that is an obvious fake name.

Solomon Kozanski

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been getting harrassing, threatening emails from someone.

yeah? so get some email filtering software

> It is from someone using an email address that is an obvious fake

name.

> (E-Mail Removed)

[172.18.141.34]) by air-ya01.mail.aol.com
> (v101_r1.3) with ESMTP id MAILINYA12-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug

2004 18:24:53 -0400

[216.155.196.145]) by
> rly-ya02.mx.aol.com (v101_r1.2) with ESMTP id

MAILRELAYINYA28-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug 2004
> 18:24:42 -0400

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:24:42 PDT
> Date: 8/30/2004 6:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From: john smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: i'm a dick
> To: (removed for my protection)

boundary="0-1146045714-1093904682=:79178"

> I used Visual Trace Route and it didnt get me too far, other than

that the person is using optonline
> (here on Long Island - a cable ISP). Can anyone here think of

anything else I can do to track down
> this person's approximate location, or if there is anything in the

above headers that give a clue?

traceroute doesnt tell you **** about actual location. besides, you'd
need to gain root on all the systems between your point and the dialup
point (or cable, in this case), then you'd need access to their
billing computers to crosslink the account and find an actual
address.. and this doesnt mean you'd actually get anywhere.

you could call the cops, but they prolly wouldnt do ****, as they have
to deal with real problems, and they tend to be lazy and nonchalant,
or you could just install some filtering software.

and if you're "afraid" of this person for some reason, buy a gun.
sigarms is my personal fave.

> Thanks
>
> Tony

you're welcome

Tony

Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a trace route and saw that his
emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another email was from the local cable
internet provider.

I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is home ISP is. I told him that he
better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they knock on his door at 4am sometime
that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell, home and work #s. He promised
to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his employer or the isp. He is 40 years
old with a wife and two kids.

So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few times in the past.

Tony

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:02:19 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have been getting harrassing, threatening emails from someone.

>yeah? so get some email filtering software
>
>> It is from someone using an email address that is an obvious fake

>name.
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>[172.18.141.34]) by air-ya01.mail.aol.com
>> (v101_r1.3) with ESMTP id MAILINYA12-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug

>2004 18:24:53 -0400

>[216.155.196.145]) by
>> rly-ya02.mx.aol.com (v101_r1.2) with ESMTP id

>MAILRELAYINYA28-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug 2004
>> 18:24:42 -0400

>Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:24:42 PDT
>> Date: 8/30/2004 6:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>> From: john smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Subject: i'm a dick
>> To: (removed for my protection)

>boundary="0-1146045714-1093904682=:79178"
>>
>> I used Visual Trace Route and it didnt get me too far, other than

>that the person is using optonline
>> (here on Long Island - a cable ISP). Can anyone here think of

>anything else I can do to track down
>> this person's approximate location, or if there is anything in the

>above headers that give a clue?
>
>traceroute doesnt tell you **** about actual location. besides, you'd
>need to gain root on all the systems between your point and the dialup
>point (or cable, in this case), then you'd need access to their
>billing computers to crosslink the account and find an actual
>address.. and this doesnt mean you'd actually get anywhere.
>
>you could call the cops, but they prolly wouldnt do ****, as they have
>to deal with real problems, and they tend to be lazy and nonchalant,
>or you could just install some filtering software.
>
>and if you're "afraid" of this person for some reason, buy a gun.
>sigarms is my personal fave.
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tony

>you're welcome

Solomon Kozanski

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a

trace route and saw that his
> emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

email was from the local cable
> internet provider.
>
> I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is

home ISP is. I told him that he
> better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

knock on his door at 4am sometime
> that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell,

home and work #s. He promised
> to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

employer or the isp. He is 40 years
> old with a wife and two kids.
>
> So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

times in the past.

> Tony

your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent on
harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.

like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
there is no excuse!
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:13:05 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a

>trace route and saw that his
>> emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

>email was from the local cable
>> internet provider.
>>
>> I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is

>home ISP is. I told him that he
>> better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

>knock on his door at 4am sometime
>> that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell,

>home and work #s. He promised
>> to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

>employer or the isp. He is 40 years
>> old with a wife and two kids.
>>
>> So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

>times in the past.
>>
>> Tony

>your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent on
>harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
>could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
>self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.
>
>like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
>there is no excuse!

You're just trying to drum up business for your morgue.

Tom

Solomon Kozanski

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:13:05 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I

did a
> >trace route and saw that his
> >> emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

> >email was from the local cable
> >> internet provider.
> >>
> >> I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who

is
> >home ISP is. I told him that he
> >> better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

> >knock on his door at 4am sometime
> >> that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his

cell,
> >home and work #s. He promised
> >> to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

> >employer or the isp. He is 40 years
> >> old with a wife and two kids.
> >>
> >> So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

> >times in the past.
> >>
> >> Tony

> >your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent

on
> >harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
> >could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
> >self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.
> >
> >like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
> >there is no excuse!

> You're just trying to drum up business for your morgue.
>
> Tom

hey man, i got hungry patrons to feed!
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill