Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Northbridge Chipset Fan ... absolutely necessary ???

Northbridge Chipset Fan ... absolutely necessary ???

BigGuy2004

Hi all ...

I posted earlier about a noisy Abit NB chipset fan. Well, I took the damn
thing off the Mobo, nice and quiet now BTW, and never replaced it. I'm sure
there's a good reason for the fan ... or the EE's would have never planned
for it. I've been running without it now for a most two months and wonder
if I can get away without this NB fan at all? I theoretically could fry my
chipset ... but has this ever happened?

Any general thoughts about this or common experiences.

Best Regards,

Wayne

cc0275012

I've seen some implementations of the same chipset, different mobo
manufacturer and some use a fan some don't.
Some will just use a heatsink. So go figure...I had a Soyo chipset fan go
out and Soyo sent me a new one for free.
Makes you wonder some times....

"BigGuy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi all ...
>
> I posted earlier about a noisy Abit NB chipset fan. Well, I took the damn
> thing off the Mobo, nice and quiet now BTW, and never replaced it. I'm

sure
> there's a good reason for the fan ... or the EE's would have never planned
> for it. I've been running without it now for a most two months and wonder
> if I can get away without this NB fan at all? I theoretically could fry

my
> chipset ... but has this ever happened?
>
> Any general thoughts about this or common experiences.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Wayne

Solomon Kozanski

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The design has to withstand a worst-case scenario.
>
> Are you using every possible feature of your chipset? Onboard audio,
> video, lan, all USB ports, all IDE ports, raid ports, firewire ports,
> etc., etc.
>
> You may not have a problem. or you just may not have it yet.

thermal creep will eventually set in. the chipset may not run hot enuff to
cook the dopant off the chips, but without cooling, he's subjecting his
chipset to more thermal stress than necessary. little pins and solder joints
expanding and contracting over and over again with every boot and shutdown.
so unless he plans to keep it running continuously, i hope he knows how to
solder!
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

BigGuy2004

Excellent point ... I'm not really bringing the chipset "down to its knees"
so to speak. Maybe I'll practice due diligence and remount a new fan.
Solomon's statement about thermal creep does make sense. I just hate that
damn noise.

thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The design has to withstand a worst-case scenario.
>
> Are you using every possible feature of your chipset? Onboard audio,
> video, lan, all USB ports, all IDE ports, raid ports, firewire ports,
> etc., etc.
>
> You may not have a problem. or you just may not have it yet.
>

> BigGuy2004 wrote:
>
> > Hi all ...
> >
> > I posted earlier about a noisy Abit NB chipset fan. Well, I took the

damn
> > thing off the Mobo, nice and quiet now BTW, and never replaced it. I'm

sure
> > there's a good reason for the fan ... or the EE's would have never

planned
> > for it. I've been running without it now for a most two months and

wonder
> > if I can get away without this NB fan at all? I theoretically could fry

my
> > chipset ... but has this ever happened?
> >
> > Any general thoughts about this or common experiences.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Wayne

ragingbear99

Actually its Vapor-Phase-Reflow (hot air) and all the connections are
under the chip in the BallGridArray ... which are have at least
similar thermal expanson to the motherboard material to which they are
soldered, but they will eventually fail without the fan.

But the problem still remains - ABit is unwilling to make good on
another warranty replacement problem they caused by using "cheap"
parts by saying they have no stock in the NB fans (at least in my
case) and suggesting that I purchase the fans from eXcaliberPC if I
don't want to return the entire motherboard.

I was one of the unlucky ones that purchased 5+ system boards three
years ago with those fateful capacitors with the stolen formulation
for electrolyte which corroded the electrodes and eventually failed.
Back then they were taking a month to send replacement boards and I
had to keep a spare so my customers would not kill me for taking them
out for a month. Looking a the offering at eXcaliberPC.com it appears
that they are still pawning off the defective parts (no mention of
ball bearings) for purchase and eXcaliberPC only offers a 30 day
warranty! Too bad it looks like ABit is heading down the same black
hole again, from which I cannot consider purchasing thier products
again.