Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Safe Mode craziness

Safe Mode craziness

Micah Torrance

I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.

If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
Normal and it boots fine.

Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.

Any suggestions on solving this?

JJW

"Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Micah Torrance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
> >
> > If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can
> > select Normal and it boots fine.
> >
> > Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
> >
> > Any suggestions on solving this?

if this is is windows XP, you could look in msconfig under the boot tab and
see if the safe mode option is checked. however, I don't think that is the
problem, because i believe that when the safe mode option is checked, even
if u select "start windows normally" from the list, it will still boot to
safe mode.

JJW

Micah Torrance

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:02:29 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Windows can actually detect when the last boot was not successful and
>it will automatically offer to boot into safe mode with a timeout, even
>though normal mode might work just fine. Does it say anything to the
>effect of "previous boot incomplete" on the menu before Windows boots
>or does it just boot to safe mode without prompting you?
>
>Try looking at bootlog.txt for errors. Also, is device manager clean?
>
>Adam

Device manager looks fine. No, there is no message about the previous
boot. It goes to the WinME splash screen, then goes black and come up
in Safe Mode.

Micah Torrance

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:13:30 GMT, "Mark Mandell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If it's Win98. type in 'msconfig' in the Run dialog box, click OK, click
>'advanced' in the Msconfig window, then untick the check in "enable startup
>menu."

It's WinME, unfortunately.

Micah Torrance

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:12:44 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> Windows can actually detect when the last boot was not successful
>>> and it will automatically offer to boot into safe mode with a
>>> timeout, even though normal mode might work just fine. Does it
>>> say anything to the effect of "previous boot incomplete" on the
>>> menu before Windows boots or does it just boot to safe mode
>>> without prompting you?

>> Read the post. He isn't getting a menu.

>He could have been hitting F8 before the menu appeared.
>
>Adam

Nope, I wasn't getting a menu.

Micah Torrance

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:10:23 -0400, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Micah Torrance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
>>
>> If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
>> Normal and it boots fine.
>>
>> Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
>>
>> Any suggestions on solving this?

>Have a look at the msdos.sys file . See if it has a line like this:
>
>Bootsafe = 1
>
>If so, change the value to 0.
>
>Read all about msdos.sys here:
>
>http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Solomon Kozanski

"Micah Torrance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
>
> If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
> Normal and it boots fine.
>
> Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
>
> Any suggestions on solving this?

"safe mode"...

makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

Solomon Kozanski

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Micah Torrance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
> >
> > If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
> > Normal and it boots fine.
> >
> > Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
> >
> > Any suggestions on solving this?

> Have a look at the msdos.sys file . See if it has a line like this:
>
> Bootsafe = 1
>
> If so, change the value to 0.
>
> Read all about msdos.sys here:
>
> http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

um, if 98, et. al. are operating systems in their own right(s), why, pray
tell, do they still require msdos.sys?
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

AG

"Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
> --

Linux.

AG

Solomon Kozanski

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4130e384$0$75875$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Solomon Kozanski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
> > --

> Linux.
>
> AG

touche
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

managed and native craziness Mike Kamzyuk C++ 2 04-26-2005 08:42 PM
Namespace Craziness Martin c ASP .Net 3 02-13-2004 12:38 AM
"Special edition" craziness Grand Inquisitor DVD Video 13 11-21-2003 02:52 AM
Re: Session Object Craziness Jeff Trotman ASP .Net 2 07-18-2003 06:00 AM

Advertisments