Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Safe Mode craziness

Safe Mode craziness

Micah Torrance

I did as you suggested. I opened the MSDOS.sys file in Notepad and
there were about three characters in it! I have no idea what's going
on there.

Win ME was recently put on in a clean install. I can find no viruses,
cleaned out what little spyware there was, and ran diagnostic checks.

It is still botting to Safe Mode unless I catch it with F8 and select
Normal.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:10:23 -0400, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Micah Torrance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
>>
>> If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
>> Normal and it boots fine.
>>
>> Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
>>
>> Any suggestions on solving this?

>Have a look at the msdos.sys file . See if it has a line like this:
>
>Bootsafe = 1
>
>If so, change the value to 0.
>
>Read all about msdos.sys here:
>
>http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

Bill

This could very well be your problem.

msdos.sys must be 1024 bytes minimum. Check your file size. See these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...&srchExtraQry=

Having only 3 characters in that file means trouble. You are not
indicating a BootGUI setting! See this link for a proper msdos.sys file:

Most likely, the sys command was used to transfer the system to the
hard drive.

Let us know

Bill

Micah Torrance wrote:
> I did as you suggested. I opened the MSDOS.sys file in Notepad and
> there were about three characters in it! I have no idea what's going
> on there.
>
> Win ME was recently put on in a clean install. I can find no viruses,
> cleaned out what little spyware there was, and ran diagnostic checks.
>
> It is still botting to Safe Mode unless I catch it with F8 and select
> Normal.

Bill

Hi xmp,

I'm still researching it. I think it's worth looking at.
I would add the bootgui=1 setting and pad it up to 1024 and see what it
does. The MS site is vague on the whole thing. My A+ exam had this
question on it!

Bill

xmp wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> This could very well be your problem.
>>

>> msdos.sys must be 1024 bytes minimum. Check your file size. See these
>> links:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...&srchExtraQry=

> I thought ME could deal with a misconfigured MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS and
> AUTOEXEC.BAT.
>
> michael

managed and native craziness Mike Kamzyuk C++ 2 04-26-2005 08:42 PM
Namespace Craziness Martin c ASP .Net 3 02-13-2004 12:38 AM
"Special edition" craziness Grand Inquisitor DVD Video 13 11-21-2003 02:52 AM
Re: Session Object Craziness Jeff Trotman ASP .Net 2 07-18-2003 06:00 AM

Advertisments