Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Viruses

Re: Viruses

Sierraman

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Heres my problem. I have a close friend that keeps bringing his system

> that
> > I built for him back to me to clean the viruses out. His most popular

are
> > MSXMIDI.EXE, TSS.EXE and a broswer homepage hack. When I built the

system
> > sold him Norton SW 2003 and ZoneAlarms free firwall. He still gets

> totally
> > infected to the point that the system locks up. I keep telling him he

> must
> > be doing something to it (i.e. porn sites, hacking sites, opening e-mail
> > attachments) He says hes not.
> >
> > Since hes a close friend I hven't been charging but it has gotten to the
> > piont he is doing it very often! He brought it last weekend and hes
> > bringing it tomorrow. Last week I ghosted my repairs so he had a backup

> but
> > he refuse to restore because hes affraid he'll do something wrong.
> >
> > Beside the obvious solution of charging him which is going to be

happening
> > soon. Is there something I can install or configure to stop this.

Also,
> my
> > mail server virus checks my email but he has juno, could this be his
> > problem? I probably should insist he pay for a good firewall like

> ZoneAlarm
> > Professional?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Glenn
> >

> Step one start charging him.
>
> Step two will probably take care of itself if you faithfully adhere to

step
> one.
>

> But - note the products you mention him using do nothing to stop spyware.

It
> may help if you have him use Spyware Blaster as well for some real time
> blocking, have him use both Adaware and Spybot S&D at least once a week.
> If he's going to spend more money, he would probably be better off

sticking
> with the free firewall and buying the full version of adaware.

Clueless prick.

TechGeekPro

On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:

> Clueless prick.

You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

TechGeekPro

On Aug 23, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/fun/cupof_stfu.gif

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Sierraman

> On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:
>
> > Clueless prick.

> You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
>
> --
> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper **** off the end of
your replies, your embarassing yourself.

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:52:56 -0700, "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"TechGeekPro" <%username%@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:
>>
>> > Clueless prick.

>> You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
>>
>> --
>> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
>> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

>Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper **** off the end of
>your replies, your embarassing yourself.

Since you are so insistent on proving your own superiority, that would
be "you're"...not your.

Seriously...who is ever right all of the time? I have only met one who
claimed it, and he was mistaken that day the train hit his car.

Tom

Sierraman

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:52:56 -0700, "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"TechGeekPro" <%username%@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:

> >> You're the clueless one. ImhoTech is exactly right.
> >>
> >> --
> >> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
> >> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

> >Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper **** off the end of
> >your replies, your embarassing yourself.
> >

> Since you are so insistent on proving your own superiority, that would
> be "you're"...not your.
>
> Seriously...who is ever right all of the time? I have only met one who
> claimed it, and he was mistaken that day the train hit his car.
>
> Tom

I remember you over the years, a very funny guy! I do respect your
knowledge.

TwisterFreak

As i see it, in regards to the original post. This "friend" seems to be
struggling with basic security issues. To me anti-virus, firewall,
adaware, spybot, spyware blaster, cwshredder, email filtering is basic
stuff, and ample for the average home user. This guy needs to be
educated on using these pieces of software.
Lets face it most anti-virus programs update and scan automatically.
Firewalls need to be configured to run automatically.
Spyware Blaster needs to be installed and left to work.
Adaware and Spybot need to be updated and ran.
CWshredder needs to be ran if problems are suspected.
Email filters and some ISP's have them anyway just need to be configured.
Basic. If your friend cares enough about his system, then he needs to
know he has to take responsibilty for it.
The trouble with dial-up users is they just can't be bothered to update
sometimes because it can slow down the browsing.
If he is struggling with these basics, i think maybe the idea of a Linux
box as a firewall would probably melt his brain.
Learning how to use the current security would be preferable to
introducing new ideas too advanced for him.

Darren

TwisterFreak

Sorry about that Michael. The way it was worded made all dial up users
sound bone idle. But you and a lot of other people don't find it
troublesome because you are aware of the importance of updating.
IMHO, file traders with no idea of security cannot blame anyone when
their machine gets virus ridden. They also see the warez web pages, (you
know the ones which have a million links which take you nowhere), and by
the time thay have restarted pc because they can't get rid of the popup,
its too late. Riddled with malware.

Michael wrote:

> TwisterFreak wrote:
>
>> The trouble with dial-up users is they just can't be bothered to
>> update sometimes because it can slow down the browsing.

> I'm on dialup and don't find updating a big deal, but I do it in
> segments. If you have a whole bunch of machines, it may be easier to
> download critical patches and deploy them offline.
>
> Certainly if "the friend" was doing a lot of file trading, they need to
> learn about malware and how it works. There's no substitute for this,
> other than buying some expensive tools and tech support.
>
> michael

radical

> Clueless prick.

TROLL

radical

> Hey weenie, stop blowing ImhoTech and take that paper **** off the end of
> your replies, your embarassing yourself.

Jealousy will get you no-where

Can Viruses infect .AVI files??? Smiley Computer Support 109 05-17-2011 02:00 PM
Will Mozilla stop viruses? P T Firefox 8 10-05-2004 12:55 AM
OT: Kerpal is now authoring viruses ! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 06-04-2004 07:02 PM
Re: spam and viruses Dave Computer Support 5 07-01-2003 10:21 PM
Re: spam and viruses Brian H Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments