Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Home XP system won't shut down

Home XP system won't shut down

Paul Kersey

Suspect my power supply is going bad. If I click on "shut down" the system
reboots. Same with "stand-by". Recently added a DVD burner. Reason I suspect
the PS is the fan on it stopped working for a time. Cleaned fan and it
started to turn again.
One other thing the system will shut down if it is in "safe mode".

Thanks for the help.

PK
A+, Network+

Tamar Solutions

"Paul Kersey" <Paul http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b%Vc.181511$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
> Suspect my power supply is going bad. If I click on "shut down" the system
> reboots. Same with "stand-by". Recently added a DVD burner. Reason I

suspect
> the PS is the fan on it stopped working for a time. Cleaned fan and it
> started to turn again.
> One other thing the system will shut down if it is in "safe mode".
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> PK
> A+, Network+

Check your Power management settings

TechGeekPro

On Aug 22, 2004 "Paul Kersey" blathered:

> One other thing the system will shut down if it is in "safe mode".

This would indicate that it is probably not your power supply. I could be
that a bad driver or something is causing a stop error at shut down. Go to
Startup and Recovery in System Properties and uncheck Automatically reboot.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+