Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Viruses

Re: Viruses

Tamar Solutions

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Heres my problem. I have a close friend that keeps bringing his system

that
> I built for him back to me to clean the viruses out. His most popular are
> MSXMIDI.EXE, TSS.EXE and a broswer homepage hack. When I built the system

> sold him Norton SW 2003 and ZoneAlarms free firwall. He still gets

totally
> infected to the point that the system locks up. I keep telling him he

must
> be doing something to it (i.e. porn sites, hacking sites, opening e-mail
> attachments) He says hes not.
>
> Since hes a close friend I hven't been charging but it has gotten to the
> piont he is doing it very often! He brought it last weekend and hes
> bringing it tomorrow. Last week I ghosted my repairs so he had a backup

but
> he refuse to restore because hes affraid he'll do something wrong.
>
> Beside the obvious solution of charging him which is going to be happening
> soon. Is there something I can install or configure to stop this. Also,

my
> mail server virus checks my email but he has juno, could this be his
> problem? I probably should insist he pay for a good firewall like

ZoneAlarm
> Professional?
>
> Thanks
> Glenn

My opinion and what I tend to do in such situations is to educate the user
in how to re-install windows (from a ghost if you like) - seriously -
educate and delegate, especially if your not charging

cheers - James Jenkins

Sierraman

"Tamar Solutions" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cg5qjh$545$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Heres my problem. I have a close friend that keeps bringing his system

> that
> > I built for him back to me to clean the viruses out. His most popular

are
> > MSXMIDI.EXE, TSS.EXE and a broswer homepage hack. When I built the

system
> > sold him Norton SW 2003 and ZoneAlarms free firwall. He still gets

> totally
> > infected to the point that the system locks up.

That's because none of that crap on the market is bulletproof. If you want
bulletproof, have him get an old pentium on the cheap froma highschool, for
$50 bucks. Put Linux on it, and use that for his dialup to his ISP. Use the
connection sharing that comes with Linux. I don't know about all versions, I
have used Redhat, Slackware, Caldera and Mandrake. Mandrake is what I still
use and the connection sharing the Tiny Firewall that comes with it works
well together. I went through the same thing couple of years ago. I dumped
Norton because viruses, trojans were still getting in, even with their
premiere firewall. I haven't has any viruses, (not one) for two years.
Mandrake has familar ease of use that Windows users want too for installing
these features, just click your way through these setups. I layer my mail
with Mail Denfense, and my ISP has filtering. Remember that the mail would
be a whole different issue. Linux uses a musical chairs approach to
assigning addresses thus fooling many of the programs hackers use to get in.
Some skilled hackers could get in by they (do not) target Linux boxes. Blame
M$ for all the ports left open on your windows box. Gates says he will patch
the holes in a huge service pack upcoming for free but I still never use
windows for dialing into the Internet.

I keep telling him he
> must
> > be doing something to it (i.e. porn sites, hacking sites, opening e-mail
> > attachments) He says hes not.
> >
> > Since hes a close friend I hven't been charging but it has gotten to the
> > piont he is doing it very often! He brought it last weekend and hes
> > bringing it tomorrow. Last week I ghosted my repairs so he had a backup

> but
> > he refuse to restore because hes affraid he'll do something wrong.
> >
> > Beside the obvious solution of charging him which is going to be

happening
> > soon. Is there something I can install or configure to stop this.

Also,
> my
> > mail server virus checks my email but he has juno, could this be his
> > problem? I probably should insist he pay for a good firewall like

> ZoneAlarm
> > Professional?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Glenn
> >

> My opinion and what I tend to do in such situations is to educate the user
> in how to re-install windows (from a ghost if you like) - seriously -
> educate and delegate, especially if your not charging
>
> cheers - James Jenkins

Sierraman

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > That's because none of that crap on the market is bulletproof.

> No, that's because the products mention don't even address the issue as
> posted.
>
> >If you want
> > bulletproof, have him get an old pentium on the cheap froma highschool,

> for
> > $50 bucks. Put Linux on it, and use that for his dialup to his ISP. Use

> the
> > connection sharing that comes with Linux. I don't know about all

versions,
> > have used Redhat, Slackware, Caldera and Mandrake. Mandrake is what I

> still
> > use and the connection sharing the Tiny Firewall that comes with it

works
> > well together. I went through the same thing couple of years ago. I

dumped
> > Norton because viruses, trojans were still getting in, even with their
> > premiere firewall. I haven't has any viruses, (not one) for two years.

> Not surprising, that much is true, and linux is fine for those who choose

> use it.
>
> > Mandrake has familar ease of use that Windows users want too for

> installing
> > these features, just click your way through these setups.

> Familiar - yeah - ease..not.

Dumbass, a moron could set up Tiny Firewall with connection sharing. If you
haven't used it, then why are you commenting?

> Sorry, linux is just not ready for joe user yet.

It is for this, even Joe's 10 year son could set it up.

> >I layer my mail
> > with Mail Denfense, and my ISP has filtering.

> So what are you refering to know...Spam filtering? Certainly not concern

for
> viruses or trojans, this is linux isn't? And that was the reason for the
> post, linux being less susceptible?

Dumbass,
You don't have a clue, I know. I am telling the poster he can use the Linux
box as a firewall, and Windows for the desktop. He will still have to either
be aware of his ISP filtering services if any, and then decide what options
he wants to choose for his mail. There are many, which can be left to
another thread.

> >Remember that the mail would
> > be a whole different issue.

> Different than what?

Dam, you really are an idiot!

> >Linux uses a musical chairs approach to
> > assigning addresses thus fooling many of the programs hackers use to get

> in.
>
> Huh? I would ask would you mean by this, but I'm betting you don't even
> know.

Dumbass,
Clueless I know. Go read up on IP Chains and IP masquerading.

> > Some skilled hackers could get in by they (do not) target Linux boxes.

> Ambigous statement at best.

Dumbass, it doesn't need a lecture on this, he just wants to know about
alternatives.

> > Blame
> > M$ for all the ports left open on your windows box.

> Sure blame away.

Dumbass, who else would you blame, for their relentless march for new
products and profits while ignoring security. You really got your head up
your ass on this one.

> >Gates says he will patch
> > the holes in a huge service pack upcoming for free but I still never use
> > windows for dialing into the Internet.

> Then you're not qualified to comment on the use of Windows products on the
> Internet.

What a Moron, I was using DOS in the 80's before Windows was developed. Get
you head out of your ass, and try addressing something you have a clue about
instead of talking out your ass.

Sierraman

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > Familiar - yeah - ease..not.

> > Dumbass, a moron could set up Tiny Firewall with connection sharing. If

> you
> > haven't used it, then why are you commenting?

> I don't comment on things I don't use.

Then why are you talking out your arse?

> > > Sorry, linux is just not ready for joe user yet.

> > It is for this, even Joe's 10 year son could set it up.

> That's so ignorant it doesn't even warrant comment.

Any 10 year old, who can use windows can set up Mandrake firewall and
connection sharing. Since you haven't used it, again you need to pull your
head out before making such comments.

> > > So what are you refering to know...Spam filtering? Certainly not

concern
> > for
> > > viruses or trojans, this is linux isn't? And that was the reason for

the
> > > post, linux being less susceptible?

> > Dumbass,
> > You don't have a clue, I know. I am telling the poster he can use the

> Linux
> > box as a firewall, and Windows for the desktop. He will still have to

> either
> > be aware of his ISP filtering services if any, and then decide what

> options
> > he wants to choose for his mail. There are many, which can be left to
> > another thread.

> > > Different than what?

> > Dam, you really are an idiot!

> See? Not even you are able explain your inane blatherings.

I don't need to dumbass, that's not what the original poster wanted.

> get
> > > in.
> > >
> > > Huh? I would ask would you mean by this, but I'm betting you don't

even
> > > know.

> > Dumbass,
> > Clueless I know. Go read up on IP Chains and IP masquerading.

> No, you don't, Your response pretty much clinches it.

Easy way out, now I know you are clueless.

boxes.

> > > Ambigous statement at best.

> > Dumbass, it doesn't need a lecture on this, he just wants to know about
> > alternatives.
> >

> No, he doesn't, he needs to learn how to maintain what he has.

Dumbass, if he can't maintain it, then he needs to try a different approach.

> > > Sure blame away.

> > Dumbass, who else would you blame, for their relentless march for new
> > products and profits while ignoring security. You really got your head

up
> > your ass on this one.
> >

> No in fact, YOU have your head up yours. One point I agreed with you on
> you're too ****ing ignorant to recognize it. You've made the clueless ****
> list.

Dumbass, you shown your a Windows weenie, and that's about it.

> use
> > >
> > > Then you're not qualified to comment on the use of Windows products on

> the
> > > Internet.

> > What a Moron, I was using DOS in the 80's before Windows was developed.

> What a moron. You think DOS in 80's has any relevance on Windows today? HA
> HAH HA!

Dumbass, I was using Windows before you were born!

> > Get
> > you head out of your ass, and try addressing something you have a clue

> about
> > instead of talking out your ass.
> >

> I never comment on things I don't have a clue about. You're projecting.

You did several times in your replies.

Sierraman

> On Aug 23, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:
>
> > You've made the clueless **** list.

> Welcome to the club Sierraman! Fortunately It's an easy list to get on.
>
> --
> TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
> "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

Paper clueless loser. You know who the weenies are, they always post their
paper certs they bought or used from braindumps like they know something.
The smartest guys don't always do this, of course they don't hang out in
this newbies forum either. This is A+ however, which the newbies sport their
paper trash. BTW, I'm not joining your club dummy. There been a few smart
guys in here over the years but most of them have Probably moved on. I see
there is a new batch of weenies.

TechGeekPro

On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:

> Paper clueless loser. You know who the weenies are, they always post
> their paper certs they bought or used from braindumps like they know
> something. The smartest guys don't always do this, of course they don't
> hang out in this newbies forum either. This is A+ however, which the
> newbies sport their paper trash. BTW, I'm not joining your club dummy.
> There been a few smart guys in here over the years but most of them have
> Probably moved on. I see there is a new batch of weenies.

Apparently your feeble mind isn't able to grasp the concept of sarcasm. As
for your accusation of me having had "bought" my certs or using "braindumps"
to attain them, it just far too ignorant for me to even bother responding to.
You make ImhoTech look like Gandhi.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Sierraman

news:gRAWc.11433$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> TechGeekPro wrote:
> > On Aug 23, 2004 "Sierraman" blathered:
> >

> >>Paper clueless loser. You know who the weenies are, they always post
> >>their paper certs they bought or used from braindumps like they know
> >>something. The smartest guys don't always do this, of course they don't
> >>hang out in this newbies forum either. This is A+ however, which the
> >>newbies sport their paper trash. BTW, I'm not joining your club dummy.
> >>There been a few smart guys in here over the years but most of them have
> >>Probably moved on. I see there is a new batch of weenies.

> You'd think the "smartest" guys would know that iptables replaced
> ipchains in 2.4.
>
> michael

Yup, but Blow Geek didn't know, and that was the test. He's just a Windows
weenie. He doesn't know about Bastille, Snort and Probe.

Sierraman

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "TechGeekPro" <%username%@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > On Aug 23, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

> > > Welcome to the club Sierraman! Fortunately It's an easy list to get

on.

> > > --
> > > TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
> > > "Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable!"

> > Paper clueless loser. You know who the weenies are, they always post

their
> > paper certs they bought or used from braindumps like they know

something.
> > The smartest guys don't always do this, of course they don't hang out in
> > this newbies forum either. This is A+ however, which the newbies sport

> their
> > paper trash. BTW, I'm not joining your club dummy. There been a few

smart
> > guys in here over the years but most of them have Probably moved on. I

see
> > there is a new batch of weenies.
> >

> Heh...man ... You win. You are the most incredibly stupid individual I

have
> ever seen on Usenet.
> In fact I'll have to rescind you're membership to the clueless **** list.
> Your membership there would throw the curve so far off, I would have to

kick
> everybody else off.

Blow Geek, your twin is looking for you. He wants to give you another blow
job. Maybe you guys could blow each other.

Sierraman

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> .
> >
> > Then why are you talking out your arse?
> > >

> You're projecting again. A cursory review of archived items reveals this

is
> an accusation more aptly directed at yourself.
>

> > I don't need to dumbass, that's not what the original poster wanted.
> > >

> You apparently had no idea what the original poster wanted. You never
> addressed the original post, you certainly can't use that in your defense
> now.
>
> > > No, you don't, Your response pretty much clinches it.

> > Easy way out, now I know you are clueless.
> > >

> Ah..you're admitting you took the easy way out. But I did recognize that.
>
> > > No, he doesn't, he needs to learn how to maintain what he has.

> > Dumbass, if he can't maintain it, then he needs to try a different

> approach.
>

> > Dumbass, you shown your a Windows weenie, and that's about it.
> > >

> Even with handholding you still didn't get it.

> developed.
> > >
> > > What a moron. You think DOS in 80's has any relevance on Windows

today?
> HA
> > > HAH HA!

> > Dumbass, I was using Windows before you were born!

> No you weren't. That was just stupid.
>

> > > I never comment on things I don't have a clue about. You're

projecting.

> > You did several times in your replies.

> I'm sorry, but you're really gonna have to get better at this if you

expect
> me to continue.
> Work on your reading comprehension, and the whole dumbass thing is getting
> tiring.
> I'm afraid I can't help you with your lack of wit and creativity but maybe
> this would help a bit:
>
> http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?r=2&q=dumb
>
> http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=ass
>
> Don't think you can just switch to moron and use that thirty or forty
> either, moron.

Stop beating off.

Solomon Kozanski

"Sierraman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tamar Solutions" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:cg5qjh$545$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Heres my problem. I have a close friend that keeps bringing his

system
> > that
> > > I built for him back to me to clean the viruses out. His most

popular
> are
> > > MSXMIDI.EXE, TSS.EXE and a broswer homepage hack. When I built

the
> system
> > > sold him Norton SW 2003 and ZoneAlarms free firwall. He still

gets
> > totally
> > > infected to the point that the system locks up.

> That's because none of that crap on the market is bulletproof. If

you want
> bulletproof, have him get an old pentium on the cheap froma

highschool, for
> $50 bucks. Put Linux on it, and use that for his dialup to his ISP.

Use the
> connection sharing that comes with Linux. I don't know about all

versions, I
> have used Redhat, Slackware, Caldera and Mandrake. Mandrake is what

I still
> use and the connection sharing the Tiny Firewall that comes with it

works
> well together. I went through the same thing couple of years ago. I

dumped
> Norton because viruses, trojans were still getting in, even with

their
> premiere firewall. I haven't has any viruses, (not one) for two

years.
> Mandrake has familar ease of use that Windows users want too for

installing
> these features, just click your way through these setups. I layer my

mail
> with Mail Denfense, and my ISP has filtering. Remember that the mail

would
> be a whole different issue. Linux uses a musical chairs approach to
> assigning addresses thus fooling many of the programs hackers use to

get in.
> Some skilled hackers could get in by they (do not) target Linux

boxes. Blame
> M$ for all the ports left open on your windows box. Gates says he

will patch
> the holes in a huge service pack upcoming for free but I still never

use
> windows for dialing into the Internet.

makes me wonder why you would use 'doze at all - except as an odd
curiosity, of course.
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

Can Viruses infect .AVI files??? Smiley Computer Support 109 05-17-2011 02:00 PM
Will Mozilla stop viruses? P T Firefox 8 10-05-2004 12:55 AM
OT: Kerpal is now authoring viruses ! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 06-04-2004 07:02 PM
Re: spam and viruses Dave Computer Support 5 07-01-2003 10:21 PM
Re: spam and viruses Brian H Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments