Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Laptop CPU q pls.

Laptop CPU q pls.

Spammy Sammy

Hi.
Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
TIA

--
http://physics911.org/net/
Applying science to uncover the truth

Patrick Michael

"Spammy Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
> TIA

Yes. Laptop processors are usually designated by "Mobile" or just "M."
Generally speaking, they consume less power and run a lot cooler than their
desktop counterpart.

Spammy Sammy

"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Spammy Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi.
> > Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
> > TIA

> Yes. Laptop processors are usually designated by "Mobile" or just "M."
> Generally speaking, they consume less power and run a lot cooler than

their
> desktop counterpart.

Thanks.

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
> highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
> consumption and energy management.
>

> Spammy Sammy wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Are laptop CPU's different to "normal" CPU's?
> > TIA

Also it depends on the age. The older the machine the more likely it is
using a desktop CPU. Most any laptop built in the last couple of years will
have some sort of mobile processor but when you get back to the Pentium 1
days there were quite a few machines that used standard CPUs.

AG

FredG

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
> highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
> consumption and energy management.

Thanks.

The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
as well.

Patrick Michael

"FredG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
> > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
> > consumption and energy management.

> Thanks.
>
> The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
> required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
> as well.

What CPU does it have and what did you want to upgrade it to?

> "FredG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Yes, they are different, however some laptops use desktop CPUs (not
> > > highly recommended, but some do). The differences are in power
> > > consumption and energy management.

> > Thanks.
> >
> > The reason I asked was that I was offered a laptop which would have
> > required a new hard drive, and I was wondering about upgrading the CPU
> > as well.

> What CPU does it have and what did you want to upgrade it to?

T'was a 500Mhz, however I was told the mobo supported up to 1.3Ghz.