Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Beware BT Pay As You Go with virus!

Beware BT Pay As You Go with virus!

Fitted a new drive to a clients PC and installed XP Home SP1A. Installed
McAfee Anti Virus 8.0 and then downloaded Britsih Telecom Internet Pay As
You Go. The PC was infected with teekids.exe worm whilst downloading BT's
dial up software and fortunately McAfee cleaned the virus. I couldn't
believe it but having complained to BT tonight they have admitted that they
are aware of the problem! Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had
similar problems. Regards Alan A+

Patrick Michael

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:cer76n$qig$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Fitted a new drive to a clients PC and installed XP Home SP1A. Installed
> > McAfee Anti Virus 8.0 and then downloaded Britsih Telecom Internet Pay

As
> > You Go. The PC was infected with teekids.exe worm whilst downloading

BT's
> > dial up software and fortunately McAfee cleaned the virus. I couldn't
> > believe it but having complained to BT tonight they have admitted that

> they
> > are aware of the problem! Would be interested to hear if anyone else has

> had
> > similar problems. Regards Alan A+
> >

> Has little to do with BT Pay As You Go. The virus was Blaster, a result of
> connectiong to the internet without the XP security patches in place.

Could
> have happened with any ISP, and will happen again if the updates to XP
> aren't installed.

ImhoTech is right. You probably were talking to some level1 tech at BT that
didn't really know what they were talking about. You should just get a
firewall to avoid these types of worms (pretty much any one will do...even
the one built into XP)

XP Firewall is operational. Can't get the last 23 XP patches without an
Internet connection. BT have said this afternoon said that they do have a
problem, they are aware of it and blame the problem on the company who host
their downloads.

"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:cer76n$qig$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Fitted a new drive to a clients PC and installed XP Home SP1A.

Installed
> > > McAfee Anti Virus 8.0 and then downloaded Britsih Telecom Internet Pay

> As
> > > You Go. The PC was infected with teekids.exe worm whilst downloading

> BT's
> > > dial up software and fortunately McAfee cleaned the virus. I couldn't
> > > believe it but having complained to BT tonight they have admitted that

> > they
> > > are aware of the problem! Would be interested to hear if anyone else

has
> > had
> > > similar problems. Regards Alan A+
> > >

> > Has little to do with BT Pay As You Go. The virus was Blaster, a result

of
> > connectiong to the internet without the XP security patches in place.

> Could
> > have happened with any ISP, and will happen again if the updates to XP
> > aren't installed.

> ImhoTech is right. You probably were talking to some level1 tech at BT

that
> didn't really know what they were talking about. You should just get a
> firewall to avoid these types of worms (pretty much any one will do...even
> the one built into XP)

Thanks guys for all your comments and helpful suggestions. Alan.

news:lM9Qc.15$(E-Mail Removed) et...