Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Server+ exam...Who's passed ?

Server+ exam...Who's passed ?

cc0275012

Hello all.

I'm not new to this group. I guess you'd call me a "lurker". This post is
directed at those who have taken and passed Server+.

I took the Server+ exam today and I did not pass. I used the Mike Myer's
Server+ Passport book, the updates to the book they have available on their
website, the quizzes on freecomptia, and cert21.com. On all the exams, I was
scoring 85%-95% so I thought I was well prepared. I used these methods to
study for and pass A+, (each exam on the first attempt) so I thought I was
on the right track.

There were absolutely no questions on IDE technology, memory technology,
clustering. Nothing on the OSI model. When I say "no questions" I mean no
questions. None. Zero. Zip. The questions on SCSI and RAID were like "What
is the best RAID solution for this configuration?". I was shocked at this.
My test was 80% disaster recovery and 20% configuration issues.

So my question is to all those folks who took and passed this exam...What do
I study next? If you search CompTIA's website it suggests 4 books for
self-study, so there isn't much. I found it interesting that the Passport
book wasn't listed. I'm not much into "braindump" type studying, but I may
not have a choice since I have about 30 days left to pass.

Any and all comments, suggestions, assistance at all is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Mark

I used the Sybex study guide...and have a whole lot of experience....I
passed the first time, but it was the toughest Comptia exam I have
taken...surprised me. The gal at the testing center said very few people do
good on this exam. It's such a broad subject area.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"cc0275012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all.
>
> I'm not new to this group. I guess you'd call me a "lurker". This post is
> directed at those who have taken and passed Server+.
>
> I took the Server+ exam today and I did not pass. I used the Mike Myer's
> Server+ Passport book, the updates to the book they have available on

their
> website, the quizzes on freecomptia, and cert21.com. On all the exams, I

was
> scoring 85%-95% so I thought I was well prepared. I used these methods to
> study for and pass A+, (each exam on the first attempt) so I thought I was
> on the right track.
>
> There were absolutely no questions on IDE technology, memory technology,
> clustering. Nothing on the OSI model. When I say "no questions" I mean no
> questions. None. Zero. Zip. The questions on SCSI and RAID were like

"What
> is the best RAID solution for this configuration?". I was shocked at

this.
> My test was 80% disaster recovery and 20% configuration issues.
>
> So my question is to all those folks who took and passed this exam...What

do
> I study next? If you search CompTIA's website it suggests 4 books for
> self-study, so there isn't much. I found it interesting that the Passport
> book wasn't listed. I'm not much into "braindump" type studying, but I

may
> not have a choice since I have about 30 days left to pass.
>
> Any and all comments, suggestions, assistance at all is greatly

appreciated.
> Thanks!

cc0275012

Thanks for responding !

I'm looking at either the Server+ Certification Bible or the Sybex Server+
Study Guide.
I have enough experience too( or thought I did), but I primarily fix servers
not install them.
Now all I need is to find a place when I can get practice exams...Probably
Preplogic...

The gal at my testing center didn't seem to surprised either.....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I used the Sybex study guide...and have a whole lot of experience....I
> passed the first time, but it was the toughest Comptia exam I have
> taken...surprised me. The gal at the testing center said very few people

do
> good on this exam. It's such a broad subject area.
>
> --
> Mark
> MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> "cc0275012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I'm not new to this group. I guess you'd call me a "lurker". This post

is
> > directed at those who have taken and passed Server+.
> >
> > I took the Server+ exam today and I did not pass. I used the Mike Myer's
> > Server+ Passport book, the updates to the book they have available on

> their
> > website, the quizzes on freecomptia, and cert21.com. On all the exams, I

> was
> > scoring 85%-95% so I thought I was well prepared. I used these methods

> > study for and pass A+, (each exam on the first attempt) so I thought I

was
> > on the right track.
> >
> > There were absolutely no questions on IDE technology, memory technology,
> > clustering. Nothing on the OSI model. When I say "no questions" I mean

no
> > questions. None. Zero. Zip. The questions on SCSI and RAID were like

> "What
> > is the best RAID solution for this configuration?". I was shocked at

> this.
> > My test was 80% disaster recovery and 20% configuration issues.
> >
> > So my question is to all those folks who took and passed this

exam...What
> do
> > I study next? If you search CompTIA's website it suggests 4 books for
> > self-study, so there isn't much. I found it interesting that the

Passport
> > book wasn't listed. I'm not much into "braindump" type studying, but I

> may
> > not have a choice since I have about 30 days left to pass.
> >
> > Any and all comments, suggestions, assistance at all is greatly

> appreciated.
> > Thanks!

Mark

For test practice I used vnpublishing...the practice exams are only 19
dollars and are very through.
http://www.vnpublishing.com/
--
> [...]

> no
> > > questions. None. Zero. Zip. The questions on SCSI and RAID were like

> > "What
> > > is the best RAID solution for this configuration?". I was shocked at

> > this.
> > > My test was 80% disaster recovery and 20% configuration issues.
> > >
> > > So my question is to all those folks who took and passed this

> exam...What
> > do
> > > I study next? If you search CompTIA's website it suggests 4 books for
> > > self-study, so there isn't much. I found it interesting that the

> Passport
> > > book wasn't listed. I'm not much into "braindump" type studying, but

> > may
> > > not have a choice since I have about 30 days left to pass.
> > >
> > > Any and all comments, suggestions, assistance at all is greatly

Mark

Its not vendor specific...so you have to focus on Linux, Novell, and
Microsoft. Thats what makes it a little tough....wide area for question
pools.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
news:mGWOc.4354$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> cc0275012 wrote:
>
> > Thanks for responding !
> >
> > I'm looking at either the Server+ Certification Bible or the Sybex

Server+
> > Study Guide.
> > I have enough experience too( or thought I did), but I primarily fix

servers
> > not install them.

> install, maintain, and repair servers at home.
>
> Server+ sounds damned easy compared to Redhat RHCE. They give you
> broken setups and expect you to repair them in a timed lab test.
>
> michael

cc0275012

I guess I'd say I goofed by just using the Passport book. Good book, but it
didn't follow the objectives. Seems most like the Cybex or the
Certification Bible.
One last question....Since I failed it, how long should I study now before I
retake the test? I would think soon, especially after I bet one of
those books and finish reading it?

Thanks for your help.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its not vendor specific...so you have to focus on Linux, Novell, and
> Microsoft. Thats what makes it a little tough....wide area for question
> pools.
>
> --
> Mark
> MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mGWOc.4354$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > cc0275012 wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for responding !
> > >
> > > I'm looking at either the Server+ Certification Bible or the Sybex

> Server+
> > > Study Guide.
> > > I have enough experience too( or thought I did), but I primarily fix

> servers
> > > not install them.

> > install, maintain, and repair servers at home.
> >
> > Server+ sounds damned easy compared to Redhat RHCE. They give you
> > broken setups and expect you to repair them in a timed lab test.
> >
> > michael

Mark

I would say one to two weeks no longer...enough time to read some more
material and maybe practice exams.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"cc0275012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I guess I'd say I goofed by just using the Passport book. Good book, but

it
> didn't follow the objectives. Seems most like the Cybex or the
> Certification Bible.
> One last question....Since I failed it, how long should I study now before

> retake the test? I would think soon, especially after I bet one of
> those books and finish reading it?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Its not vendor specific...so you have to focus on Linux, Novell, and
> > Microsoft. Thats what makes it a little tough....wide area for question
> > pools.
> >
> > --
> > Mark
> > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> > "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:mGWOc.4354$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> > Server+

> > servers
> > >
> > > install, maintain, and repair servers at home.
> > >
> > > Server+ sounds damned easy compared to Redhat RHCE. They give you
> > > broken setups and expect you to repair them in a timed lab test.
> > >
> > > michael

Brian M.

Would anyone recommend the Server+ All in One guide by Stephen Bigelow? I'm
reading it now because I liked Mike Myers "all in one" books for my A+ &
Net+, but I'm a bit worried because the reader reviews on Amazon.com weren't
so good. Anyone had any good experiences with the book?

I'm also contemplating finishing reading this book and then brushing up on
the objectives for the 2004 beta Server+ exam ($75 for a limited time). It's
focused more on hardware than troubleshooting scenarios and sounds like fun.
Is it worth it to be a guinea pig or is it a setup for disaster?

Brian M.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would say one to two weeks no longer...enough time to read some more
> material and maybe practice exams.
>
> --
> Mark
> MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> "cc0275012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I guess I'd say I goofed by just using the Passport book. Good book, but

> it
> > didn't follow the objectives. Seems most like the Cybex or the
> > Certification Bible.
> > One last question....Since I failed it, how long should I study now

before
> > retake the test? I would think soon, especially after I bet one of
> > those books and finish reading it?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Its not vendor specific...so you have to focus on Linux, Novell, and
> > > Microsoft. Thats what makes it a little tough....wide area for

question
> > > pools.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark
> > > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> > > "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:mGWOc.4354$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> > > Server+

fix
> > > servers

Mark

Go for the Beta if you feel your ready...I would not think your setting
yourself up as long as you have studied the objectives.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"Brian M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would anyone recommend the Server+ All in One guide by Stephen Bigelow?

I'm
> reading it now because I liked Mike Myers "all in one" books for my A+ &
> Net+, but I'm a bit worried because the reader reviews on Amazon.com

weren't
> so good. Anyone had any good experiences with the book?
>
> I'm also contemplating finishing reading this book and then brushing up on
> the objectives for the 2004 beta Server+ exam ($75 for a limited time).

It's
> focused more on hardware than troubleshooting scenarios and sounds like

fun.
> Is it worth it to be a guinea pig or is it a setup for disaster?
>
> Brian M.
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I would say one to two weeks no longer...enough time to read some more
> > material and maybe practice exams.
> >
> > --
> > Mark
> > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> > "cc0275012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I guess I'd say I goofed by just using the Passport book. Good book,

but
> > it
> > > didn't follow the objectives. Seems most like the Cybex or the
> > > Certification Bible.
> > > One last question....Since I failed it, how long should I study now

> before
> > > retake the test? I would think soon, especially after I bet one of
> > > those books and finish reading it?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> question

Sybex

> fix

cc0275012

He wrote the Passport Server+ book. A great book, but in my case, it wasn't
enough material to pass the test.

Does anyone know...If you take the 2004 beta exam and pass, do you become
Server+ certified?