Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Help...fixing other peoples computers is an adventure

Help...fixing other peoples computers is an adventure

David Nesbitt

In all honesty I have not.. I am working on the assumption that hte
connection does work. That
is, the existing settings that allow IE and Firefox to work in Safe mode
should allow them to work
in Normal mode.

Having said that...it is worth a call.

In the end though, I have investigated enough time on this and will proceed
forward
with a clean install of XP.

Again thanks to you all.

David

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:01:14 GMT, "David Nesbitt"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Just got my A+ ( thank Mike Meyers ) and am currently studying the

Network
> >+.
> >
> >Soooo! was called to fix a friend's PC.
> >
> >The PC ( CLone PIII-800 ) is running Windows XP Home. The system became
> >infected with many virus's which I have eliminated with Norton Anti

Virus.
> >But
> >LiveUPdate will not access the Symantec Web Site and Norton Internet
> >Security
> >refuses to run at all.
> >
> >I uninstalled both Anti Virus and NIS and reinstalled....same problem.
> >
> >So I decided to reinstall/upgrade WIndows XP Home and now find that I

can
> >not
> >access the internet in Normal mode ( Page Not Found ) for any sites, but
> >can if I go into Safe Mode with Networking. all works well.
> >
> >I have updated with Windows XP with Windows Update while in safe mode
> >although
> >it is not receommended. Same problem...IE accesses web sites in safe mode
> >but not in
> >normal mode.
> >
> >Any thoughts on what may be wrong or how to proceed ?
> >
> >Really appreciate it.
> >
> >david
> >

> Have you contacted the ISP's tech support to verify settings?
>
> Tom

David Nesbitt

I amworking on the paid technician route. As it turns out, this person is a
friend and also runs a
business. I will be her new tech. I let it go a lot longer than need be for
the learning experience, plus we
did have a workaround ( safe mode ) to get to the internet. As she said, if
she had to pay me for all the
time I put in, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new PC.

In the real world as labour and time are big cost factors, a decsion to
simply format and reinstall
would have come much earlier.

SO I shall try the last few suggestions such as remove Norton ...

Then if success continues to elude me, I shall strike by the little bit
bravery needed to do a clean install of XP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> In the end though, I have investigated enough time on this and will

proceed
> > forward
> > with a clean install of XP.
> >
> > Again thanks to you all.
> >
> > David
> >

> Final Score:
>
> Computer - 1 David - 0
>
> And you had the entire Internet at your disposal. Were you hoping to be a
> paid technician or just helping out a friend ?

Steven L Umbach

Hi David.

See you are still working on this. A couple things.

I scanned your HiJack this log and it appears that the computer is configured to use
a proxy server? " C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe " and "
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer =
proxy:8080 ". Check the settings in safe mode compared to regular boot in tools/IE
options/connections/lan settings and if they differ configure the same setting in
regular boot as used in safe mode. A proxy server would be the server on the network
that computers use for internet access versus the normal default gateway access.
Maybe Norton is "looping" the internet connection through itself because there is
"C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe " running on the computer. I
have not used that product so I am not sure how the proxy is handled. Usually if not
using a proxy server [such as Microdot ISA] computers are configured to use "auto" or
nothing is configured for lan settings.

As far as using msconfig. You said you disabled just applications. The problem with
that is a lot of software such as Norton and personal firewalls are installed as
services which can be seen in services.msc. The reason is these applications are user
independent and are running before a user logs on as services do. That is why
msconfig gives the option to disable non critical system services. While msconfig is
good and built in I prefer using Autoruns to view all the various places that an
executable may be launched on a computer, and be given the opportunity to disable.
You may want to try Process Explorer to view processes running in regular mode and in
safe mode. The ones that run in regular mode but not in safe mode are the ones to
target for disabling for regular boot and be suspicious of. With process Explorer,
you can save output to a file for comparison. Always be suspicious of processes that
do not have a publisher name associated with them.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...autoruns.shtml

When you run AdAware, always run it twice in a row to see if new items are found.
Some parasites are very difficult to eliminate and using safe mode may help. I use
the customize option to scan with AdAware and select all options under memory and
registry to scan. I also select tweaks/cleaning engine - automatically try to
unregistered objects.

Don't worry about the time you are spending on this issue, it is part of the learning
process. I have done it myself on a number of occasions. I had a very nasty variation
of Cool Web Search on one of my computers a couple weeks ago that I spent at least a
couple hours on to resolve. Waiting for reboots is the worst part of computer
troubleshooting. Good luck. --- Steve

"David Nesbitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wHtOc.4$(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> I amworking on the paid technician route. As it turns out, this person is a
> friend and also runs a
> business. I will be her new tech. I let it go a lot longer than need be for
> the learning experience, plus we
> did have a workaround ( safe mode ) to get to the internet. As she said, if
> she had to pay me for all the
> time I put in, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new PC.
>
> In the real world as labour and time are big cost factors, a decsion to
> simply format and reinstall
> would have come much earlier.
>
> SO I shall try the last few suggestions such as remove Norton ...
>
> Then if success continues to elude me, I shall strike by the little bit
> bravery needed to do a clean install of XP
>

> "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "David Nesbitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > In the end though, I have investigated enough time on this and will

> proceed
> > > forward
> > > with a clean install of XP.
> > >
> > > Again thanks to you all.
> > >
> > > David
> > >

> > Final Score:
> >
> > Computer - 1 David - 0
> >
> > And you had the entire Internet at your disposal. Were you hoping to be a
> > paid technician or just helping out a friend ?

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:21:00 GMT, "David Nesbitt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I amworking on the paid technician route. As it turns out, this person is a
>friend and also runs a
>business. I will be her new tech. I let it go a lot longer than need be for
>the learning experience, plus we
>did have a workaround ( safe mode ) to get to the internet. As she said, if
>she had to pay me for all the
>time I put in, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new PC.
>
>In the real world as labour and time are big cost factors, a decsion to
>simply format and reinstall
>would have come much earlier.

Very wise words. And exactly the reason why my career in both
electronics repair and my brief stint as a helpdesk technician was so
emotionally painful to me. I desperately need to know why things won't
work, and so badly that I'll spend hours and days to get to the bottom
of things. Stubborn as a mule, that's me.

>SO I shall try the last few suggestions such as remove Norton ...
>
>Then if success continues to elude me, I shall strike by the little bit
>bravery needed to do a clean install of XP

One note...about not contacting the ISP...it's always a good idea to
check these things...like, if your TV doesn't work...is it plugged in?

Tom

>"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "David Nesbitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> In the end though, I have investigated enough time on this and will

>proceed
>> > forward
>> > with a clean install of XP.
>> >
>> > Again thanks to you all.
>> >
>> > David
>> >

>> Final Score:
>>
>> Computer - 1 David - 0
>>
>> And you had the entire Internet at your disposal. Were you hoping to be a
>> paid technician or just helping out a friend ?

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:47:06 -0400, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"David Nesbitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:wHtOc.4$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com...
>> I amworking on the paid technician route. As it turns out, this person is

>> friend and also runs a
>> business. I will be her new tech. I let it go a lot longer than need be

>for
>> the learning experience, plus we
>> did have a workaround ( safe mode ) to get to the internet. As she said,

>if
>> she had to pay me for all the
>> time I put in, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new PC.
>>
>> In the real world as labour and time are big cost factors, a decsion to
>> simply format and reinstall
>> would have come much earlier.
>>
>> SO I shall try the last few suggestions such as remove Norton ...
>>
>> Then if success continues to elude me, I shall strike by the little bit
>> bravery needed to do a clean install of XP
>>

>Every thing I know came from the real world. Truth of the matter is some
>repairs will take many hours to accomplish, way beyond billable time. Thats
>the only way you learn. This is not a fix that requires hours to fix, its a
>fix that requires knowledge to fix in an economical manner. You have to
>invest the hours this time to gain the knowledge neccesary for the next time
>it happens.

Right also. See my previous post about my anal retentive technical
tendencies.

Tom

David Nesbitt

In conclusion, the problem seems to have been Norton Internet Security. I
once more deleted the
product, deleted all references to it in the registry and deleted all files
that I could think of.

On doing this, normal mode internet access returned.

On reinstalling the product, I found myself in exactly the same boat.
Unfortunately
there is no provision within NIS to not install NIS and to install Norton
Anti-Virus
( which is part of ).

SO I must recommend something for anti-virus ( some people have suggested
just buying
the Norton Anti-virus portion ) and something for blocking Pop-ups and the
like.

As the computer is connected to a router, the router will act as the
firewall.

Thank yu once more.

david

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:21:00 GMT, "David Nesbitt"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I amworking on the paid technician route. As it turns out, this person is

> >friend and also runs a
> >business. I will be her new tech. I let it go a lot longer than need be

for
> >the learning experience, plus we
> >did have a workaround ( safe mode ) to get to the internet. As she said,

if
> >she had to pay me for all the
> >time I put in, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new PC.
> >
> >In the real world as labour and time are big cost factors, a decsion to
> >simply format and reinstall
> >would have come much earlier.

> Very wise words. And exactly the reason why my career in both
> electronics repair and my brief stint as a helpdesk technician was so
> emotionally painful to me. I desperately need to know why things won't
> work, and so badly that I'll spend hours and days to get to the bottom
> of things. Stubborn as a mule, that's me.
>

> >SO I shall try the last few suggestions such as remove Norton ...
> >
> >Then if success continues to elude me, I shall strike by the little bit
> >bravery needed to do a clean install of XP

> One note...about not contacting the ISP...it's always a good idea to
> check these things...like, if your TV doesn't work...is it plugged in?
>

> Tom
>

> >"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "David Nesbitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> In the end though, I have investigated enough time on this and will

> >proceed

> >> Final Score:
> >>
> >> Computer - 1 David - 0
> >>
> >> And you had the entire Internet at your disposal. Were you hoping to be

> >> paid technician or just helping out a friend ?

David Nesbitt

Hey Michael , Thanks for the thoughts.

Earlier in the process, I ran a Hijack scan and there was a Proxy=8080
included. I think that
I was able to remove that shortly afterwards. THe current scan ( without
Norton ) is as follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 2:50:38 AM, on 02/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Windows\Twain_32\1200ub\WATCH.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\xx\My Documents\Hijack\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program
Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Soap Pro] C:\Program Files\System Soap
Pro\soap.exe min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"
/background
O4 - Global Startup: Watch.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\1200UB\WATCH.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) -
http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yaho...st20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} -
http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/...eInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) -
O18 - Protocol: burst - {2F2BA850-6714-11D4-8D0D-00B0D02A5D4E} - (no file)

I suspect that I can get rid of SOAP at some point as well.
I spent a lot of time at the Symantec website and followed their many
suggestions as to how to
resolve the problem. In the end to no avail.

As for Mozilla, the user of the PC is very PC illiterate and sort of has
gotten used to IE. My ISP has aligned itself with Yahoo and
provides an updated IE browser that allows the user quick access to Yahoo
mail. It also controls Popups as well as a bunch of
other things.

I most likely will take your suggestion about AVG.

As for the router, I will look into its make and specs when I return the PC
to her probably Monday. I think that it
does have NAT but will investigate further..

Thank again

David

newsLkPc.22861$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...