Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > XP machine cant see network

XP machine cant see network

Rick Todd

Got called in as the "guru" as a friends company just put an XP machine on
their NT server/win98 desktop network. Can get email to work, browse the net
just fine, but cant see other machines or the server on the network. Now,
others see the new XP machine just fine. I havent done much with XP
networking, I figure something is set wrong somewhere. It wouldnt be that
big of a deal, but they have an accounting program that they run off the
server, and the "boss" needs access on his XP machine.

I'll be there at lunch tomorrow to take another crack at it, any
suggestions?

David Hough

Rick Todd wrote:
> Got called in as the "guru" as a friends company just put an XP machine on
> their NT server/win98 desktop network. Can get email to work, browse the net
> just fine, but cant see other machines or the server on the network. Now,
> others see the new XP machine just fine. I havent done much with XP
> networking, I figure something is set wrong somewhere. It wouldnt be that
> big of a deal, but they have an accounting program that they run off the
> server, and the "boss" needs access on his XP machine.
>
> I'll be there at lunch tomorrow to take another crack at it, any
> suggestions?

This is probably a NT domain, so don't log into a workgroup, log into
the server. I'll bet the PC name and user must be set on the server.
Check to see if the server is DHCP host, if not then you will need a
static IP number and the same subnet mask as the other machines.

SHADE

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:29:52 -0400, "Rick Todd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Got called in as the "guru" as a friends company just put an XP machine on
>their NT server/win98 desktop network. Can get email to work, browse the net
>just fine, but cant see other machines or the server on the network. Now,
>others see the new XP machine just fine. I havent done much with XP
>networking, I figure something is set wrong somewhere. It wouldnt be that
>big of a deal, but they have an accounting program that they run off the
>server, and the "boss" needs access on his XP machine.
>
>I'll be there at lunch tomorrow to take another crack at it, any
>suggestions?

I have had a few XP machines that needed to have NetBEUI intalled
before they would play well on a network that had machines with an OS
other than XP. Try this.

The files that you need for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows
XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. To install NetBEUI, follow these steps:
1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive and then
locate the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
2. Copy the Nbf.sys file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers
folder.
3. Copy the Netnbf.inf file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden folder.

Note To make a hidden folder viewable, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then click OK.
2. Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View
.. tab.
3. Under Advanced Settings, click to select Show hidden files
and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network
Connections.
5. Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then
click Properties.
6. On the General tab, click Install.
7. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
8. Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click
OK.
9. Restart your computer if you are prompted to do this.

The NetBEUI protocol is now installed and working.