Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > winsock.dll

winsock.dll

I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply delete
or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a protected
system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file can
become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

chris

Hi

In a nut shell, the winsock helps translate the DNS names to IP address on
your local computer. (I know it is far more complicated than that but...)

If you can surf by IP but not names it may be winsock.

Here is Microsofts recomendations for fixing this issue

Chirs
Method 1
If you have only one computer or do not have access to a computer with the
same operating system version and a similar hardware configuration,
Microsoft recommends Method 1.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
Use Registry Editor to export and delete the Winsock and Winsock2 registry
subkeys, and then remove and reinstall TCP/IP on Windows 2000, or reinstall
TCP/IP on Windows XP.
Export and Delete the Corrupted Registry Subkeys
1.. Insert a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive of the computer whose
registry entries you are exporting.
2.. Click Start, and then click Run.
3.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4.. Locate and click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock

5.. On the File menu, click Export. In the Save in box, click 3 Floppy
(A, type a name for the file in the File name box, and then click Save.
6.. Right-click Winsock, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to
confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7.. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock2

Note Each .reg file that you save must have a different name.
8.. Right-click Winsock2, click Delete, and then click Yes.
9.. Restart the computer.

Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock and Winsock2
registry subkeys.
Remove TCP/IP on a Windows 2000-based Computer
1.. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2.. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local
Area Connection, and then click Properties.
3.. Under This component uses the following items, click Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP), and then click Uninstall.
4.. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove TCP/IP.
5.. Restart the computer when prompted, but click No if you are prompted
to allow Windows to enable a protocol.

Install TCP/IP on a Windows 2000-based Computer
1.. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2.. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local
Area Connection, and then click Properties.
3.. Click Install.
4.. In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Protocol, and
then click Add.
5.. Under Network Protocol, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then
click OK.
6.. When the protocol is installed, click Close.
7.. Restart the computer.
Reinstall TCP/IP on a Windows XP Computer
In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the operating system;
therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP in Windows XP.
1.. Install TCP/IP on top of itself:
1.. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click
Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
2.. Click Install.
3.. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4.. Click Have Disk.
5.. Type the path of the Nettcpip.inf file, and then click OK.
Typically, the Nettcpip.inf file is in the C:\Windows\Inf folder.
6.. In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP), and then click OK.
2.. Restart the computer.

When the computer restarts, the Winsock and the Winsock2 subkeys will be
functional.
Method 2
If you are correcting this problem on several computers and you have access
to a working computer with the same operating system version and a similar
hardware configuration, Microsoft recommends Method 2.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry entries, and then
replace them with the registry key information exported from a computer that
has a working installation of TCP/IP. To do this, follow these steps.
Delete the Corrupted Registry Entries
1.. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.. In Registry Editor, locate and click the following registry
subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet \Services.
3.. Right-click Winsock, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to
confirm the deletion, click Yes.
4.. Right-click Winsock2, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to
confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Export the Registry Entries to a Floppy Disk
Note The computer that you are importing the registry entries from must use
the same version of Windows and be either similar to or a duplicate of the
computer that is experiencing the issues described in the "Symptoms"
section.
1.. Insert a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive of the computer whose
registry entries you are exporting.
2.. Click Start, and then click Run.
3.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4.. In Registry Editor, locate and click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es, and then click
Winsock.
5.. Click File, and then click Export.
6.. In the Save in box, click 3 Floppy(A, type a name for the file in
the File name box, and then click Save.
7.. Click Winsock2, click File, and then click Export.
8.. In the Save in box, click 3 Floppy(A, type a name for the file in
the File name box, and then click Save.

Note Each .reg file that you save must have a different name.
9.. Quit Registry Editor.
Import the Registry Entries from the Floppy Disk
1.. Insert the floppy disk that contains the .reg files in the floppy disk
drive of the computer that is experiencing the issue that is mentioned in
the "Symptoms" section.
2.. Start Windows Explorer, click My Computer, and then double-click 3
Floppy(A.
3.. Double-click each .reg file that you created and saved to the floppy
disk in the "Export the Registry Keys to a Floppy Disk" section.
4.. Click Yes when you are prompted to add information to the registry.
5.. Click OK when you receive the message that the information is
successfully entered in the registry

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

delete
> or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a protected
> system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file can
> become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
> tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

chris

P.S. This is a common fix for not being able to surf but able to obtain IP
address and ability to ping and do other dos related network commands

Chris

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

delete
> or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a protected
> system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file can
> become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
> tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

AG

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

delete
> or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a protected
> system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file can
> become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
> tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

There's a program that will do this for you called Winsock XP fix.
It's available here:

I've used it several times.

AG

alright, thanks, that helps
now, someone had told me that the winsock.dll file was used for DNS, but
they said that it was only used for high level applications like internet
explorer and it was not used for applications like ping. so, in IE, if you
could go to http://66.102.7.147 which is an ip address for google, but could
not go to http://www.google.com, then it could be the winsock.dll file, but
in ping, if u could ping http://66.102.7.147 but not http://www.google.com
then the problem was not the winsock.dll file. I am skeptical of this
because I would think that resolving domain names to ip addresses is the
same, no matter what program is using it.

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

> disk in the "Export the Registry Keys to a Floppy Disk" section.
> 4.. Click Yes when you are prompted to add information to the registry.
> 5.. Click OK when you receive the message that the information is
> successfully entered in the registry
>

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

> delete
> > or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a

protected
> > system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file

can
> > become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> > know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
> > tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

I am not the best at this DNS stuff but one can use ping, tracert and the
like from DOS, Linux or the new MAC )S (without windows). Winsock only comes
in to play when Windows is loaded.

Maybe some one out there has a better explanation of how this actually
works.

Chris

> [...]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> alright, thanks, that helps
> now, someone had told me that the winsock.dll file was used for DNS, but
> they said that it was only used for high level applications like internet
> explorer and it was not used for applications like ping. so, in IE, if

you
> could go to http://66.102.7.147 which is an ip address for google, but

could
> not go to http://www.google.com, then it could be the winsock.dll file,

but
> in ping, if u could ping http://66.102.7.147 but not http://www.google.com
> then the problem was not the winsock.dll file. I am skeptical of this
> because I would think that resolving domain names to ip addresses is the
> same, no matter what program is using it.
>
> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

If you can ping or connect to an IP address but not a web name then DNS
isn't working. It's usually the Winsock service that isn't working but I
have seen some firewalls cause the same problem. I haven't seen it lately
so I'm guessing that they have that fixed.
It shouldn't matter whether it's DOS or Windows IE if you can connect to an
IP but not an address then your DNS isn't working which usually means
Winsock.
AG

> [...]

> > disk in the "Export the Registry Keys to a Floppy Disk" section.
> > 4.. Click Yes when you are prompted to add information to the

registry.
> > 5.. Click OK when you receive the message that the information is
> > successfully entered in the registry
> >

> > "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

> > delete
> > > or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a

> protected
> > > system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file

> can
> > > become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> > > know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone

ever
> > > tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

Patrick Michael

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have heard that when u are having internet problems you can simply

delete
> or rename the winsock.dll file in windows XP and because it is a protected
> system file, XP will make a new copy of winsock.dll, because the file can
> become corrupted. what does the winsock.dll file do? (yeah, I
> know....RTFM...) I guess what I really want to know is, has anyone ever
> tried that before and has it ever solved your problem?

I've experienced winsock problems before...usually as a result of removing
some particularly nasty spyware. It would manifest as being unable to
obtain an IP address from a DHCP server (something about a "socker error"),
or being unable to open any webpages in Internet Explorer.

To fix it, I used a program called LSPFix. I believe HijackThis can also
repair this, as it can recognize a corrupt/damage winsock entry in the
registry.