Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > How to prepare for the A+ Exams

How to prepare for the A+ Exams

chobb

I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
Mike Meyers complete A+ book.

How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
sound?

Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?

Thanks, chobb

PlazticSoul

"chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
>
> How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> sound?
>
> Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
>
> Thanks, chobb

Sure, whatever works for you. I only used the Mike Meyers book and some
online practice tests. You should have NO problem if you take a course on
top of that! What I did was read the Meyers book cover-to-cover and
highlighted what I thought was most important. Memorization... I didn't
bother with that until I was all the way through the book. Got the concepts
down first, then went back and focused on the raw information. Flash cards
arent necessary. Just jot down all the stuff you highlighted on some
paper... writing it down will help you remember it better, and then you will
have all the notes right there in front of you.

Jason Peavey
A+

Fred Mathering

How much are you paying for these courses? I passed A+ with alot of studying
on my own just with mike meyers 5th edition.

"chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
>
> How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> sound?
>
> Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
>
> Thanks, chobb

Julian

So far I have spent about $400, for 2 vouchers, 5th edition mike
meyers book, and Learnkey's A+ Certification 11-DVD set. I just passed
the Core, had no problems at all. Now I am going for the OS in a week
or so. I have the DVDs available if anyone interested for a real good
price. They helped me a lot.

Good luck to you

"Fred Mathering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<yu%Jc.46659$ek5.22850@pd7tw2no>...
> How much are you paying for these courses? I passed A+ with alot of studying
> on my own just with mike meyers 5th edition.
>
> "chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> > Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> > Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
> >
> > How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> > booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> > in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> > sound?
> >
> > Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
> >
> > Thanks, chobb

Patrick Michael

"chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
>
> How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> sound?
>
> Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?

I think I would cancel out of each class. You aren't going to learn
anything during a 5-day class that you couldn't just as easily learn on your
own. If you have a system you can take apart, and access to some different
Operating Systems (Windows 98, WIndows 2000 and Windows XP are all you
really need), you've got everything you need to pass both A+ tests.

TechGeekPro

On Jul 18, 2004 "LadyTech" blathered:

> .... what I call a "closet computer" (spare)

You really should encourage your computers to "come out of the closet".

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

chobb

"Fred Mathering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<yu%Jc.46659$ek5.22850@pd7tw2no>...
> How much are you paying for these courses? I passed A+ with alot of studying
> on my own just with mike meyers 5th edition.
>
> "chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> > Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> > Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
> >
> > How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> > booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> > in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> > sound?
> >
> > Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
> >
> > Thanks, chobb

I'm not. Work is.

Otherwise I'd think twice...

chobb

"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<G5EKc.10034$Wv4.4863@okepread03>...
> "chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
> > Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
> > Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
> >
> > How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
> > booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
> > in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
> > sound?
> >
> > Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
> >

> I think I would cancel out of each class. You aren't going to learn
> anything during a 5-day class that you couldn't just as easily learn on your
> own. If you have a system you can take apart, and access to some different
> Operating Systems (Windows 98, WIndows 2000 and Windows XP are all you
> really need), you've got everything you need to pass both A+ tests.

Thanks for all the info guys. (Work is paying for the classes, so I'm
going to stick with them).

chobb

Tom MacIntyre

On 19 Jul 2004 00:33:58 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (chobb)
wrote:

>"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<G5EKc.10034$Wv4.4863@okepread03>...
>> "chobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> > I have booked 2 training courses for A+. Each one is a 5-day course:
>> > Hardware mid-August and OS mid-October. I also have the 5th Edition
>> > Mike Meyers complete A+ book.
>> >
>> > How would you guys recommend I take the exam? I was thinking of
>> > booking each exam 1 week after the course, and reading the Meyers book
>> > in between the course finishing and the exam itself. How does this
>> > sound?
>> >
>> > Do you recommend Flash cards (or similar)?
>> >

>> I think I would cancel out of each class. You aren't going to learn
>> anything during a 5-day class that you couldn't just as easily learn on your
>> own. If you have a system you can take apart, and access to some different
>> Operating Systems (Windows 98, WIndows 2000 and Windows XP are all you
>> really need), you've got everything you need to pass both A+ tests.

>Thanks for all the info guys. (Work is paying for the classes, so I'm
>going to stick with them).

Good plan...accept anything you can get (legally) for free.

Tom

>chobb

birinci

if you think that your resources are not enough you can visit the web
site pcguide.com.
it has really detailed resources about hardware such as case, power,
cpu, motherboard, memory, hdd...