Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon what?

Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon what?

Goodguy

I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?

Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

Geoff

Goodguy wrote:
> I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
> processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
> So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
> power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
> how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
> applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
> Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?
>
> Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
> above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

amd make 'mobile' cpu's, versions for laptops with power saving features

dunno much about intels centrino thing, i think it's a chipset thing rather
than a cpu thing, so you have a centrino chipset laptop with pentium m ??
not sure

AG

"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goodguy wrote:
> > I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
> > processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
> > So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
> > power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
> > how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
> > applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
> > Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?
> >
> > Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
> > above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

> amd make 'mobile' cpu's, versions for laptops with power saving features
>
> dunno much about intels centrino thing, i think it's a chipset thing

rather
> than a cpu thing, so you have a centrino chipset laptop with pentium m ??
> not sure

From my reading, not a whole lot, the Centrino package is the wireless and
the whole thing all with Intel chipsets. The reviews that I saw said if the
Centrino is cheaper or the same for a similar spec computer go for it but
don't pay extra for it.
There are lots of laptop reviews at Cnet and Tom's Hardware sites for the
original poster.
AG

Centrino has the M processor, the 855 chipset and wireless 2100 networking.
It extends battery life in mobiles, I think by letting the CPU run slowly
when appropriate. If you can afford it buy it!
Alan A+
"Goodguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm buying a notebook, considered options are Pentium Centrino M
> processors, Pentium 4 processors, and AMD Athlon XP processors.
> So far I prefer Pentium M processors because of their
> power-saving feature. P4 and Athlon don't do that. But I wonder
> how Pentium Centrino measure up in the speed when running
> applications. So Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon XP what?
> Is there a reliable source that I can read for myself?
>
> Also, see how I use Pentium M and Pentium Centrino interchangably
> above? Are they just different names for the same chip type?

my understanding of the centrino technology was that the processor came with
1 MB of L2 cache. I heard that with that much L2 cache, the mobile
processor at 1 GHz would perform as well as a p4 at 2 GHz, but I cannot
confirm that