Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Sharing a weird printer problem with you...

Re: Sharing a weird printer problem with you...

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:21:38 +0100, Linker3000
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was using a Brother 9160 multifunction printer
>(printer/scanner/copier) when it 'paper jammed'. When this happens, the
>LCD panel on the front scrolls a suitable message.
>
>Having fixed the jam (main paper hopper misfeed - nothing major), I went
>to press the start button but nothing happened and I noticed that the
>LCD message was frozen so I switched off the printer for 15 secs.
>
>When I switched on again, the frozen message showed up straight away -
>no 'warming up' or 'please wait' - ie: no printer reset.
>
>I switched off for 15 mins - same thing - no reset.
>
>Well, there was only one thing to do - I switched off and removed the
>parallel data lead. Waited 30 secs and reconnected everything - hey
>presto - the printer reset itself.
>
>Maybe you've seen that before, but I've not come across a printer whose
>logic won't reset because of (I guess), power being drawn from the
>parallel lead power lines!?
>
>Now you know!?
>
>L3K

HP printers, at least in the past, would not even reset if you removed
the AC power, if memory serves me.

Tom

AG

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:21:38 +0100, Linker3000
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I was using a Brother 9160 multifunction printer
> >(printer/scanner/copier) when it 'paper jammed'. When this happens, the
> >LCD panel on the front scrolls a suitable message.
> >
> >Having fixed the jam (main paper hopper misfeed - nothing major), I went
> >to press the start button but nothing happened and I noticed that the
> >LCD message was frozen so I switched off the printer for 15 secs.
> >
> >When I switched on again, the frozen message showed up straight away -
> >no 'warming up' or 'please wait' - ie: no printer reset.
> >
> >I switched off for 15 mins - same thing - no reset.
> >
> >Well, there was only one thing to do - I switched off and removed the
> >parallel data lead. Waited 30 secs and reconnected everything - hey
> >presto - the printer reset itself.
> >
> >Maybe you've seen that before, but I've not come across a printer whose
> >logic won't reset because of (I guess), power being drawn from the
> >parallel lead power lines!?
> >
> >Now you know!?
> >
> >L3K

> HP printers, at least in the past, would not even reset if you removed
> the AC power, if memory serves me.
>
> Tom

Which would make sense since HP probably makes the Brother machines. They
don't manufacture much of the stuff they distribute. They sell sewing
machines that they don't manufacturer either and don't stock parts for.
I won't buy anything from them since if anything goes wrong with it the
chances of them actually fixing it are pretty remote.
AG