Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > win9x boot order

win9x boot order

Chris

Just a quick question as I get ready for the OS

Is the boot order in windows9X - io.sys,msdos.sys, config.sys,
command.com, autoexec.bat?

I have seen it listed with command com before config sys in a few
other books also. Does anyone know the right order or at least the
order that the OS exam is going to expect. I have seen a few other
possibilities on websites but these two seem to be the most common.

also does anyone know of a website that lists a good summary of the
mimimum system requirements in a nice easy to memorize format.

thanks

Chris

I just wrote the exam and managed to squeeze by without knowing for
sure the right order. The test I had didn't seem interested at all in
order of boot files just know what they are and what they do. A few
questions about windows 2000 boot files but nothing about win9X . I
did find it a little difficult when different books listed differed a
great deal in facts like these.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:48:45 GMT, "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I also would like to know the answer to this question since I am taking the
>OS exam soon.
>
>ExamCram2 lists the order as:
>IO.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, and AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
>A+ Certification for Dummies lists the order as:
>IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, and AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
>I am a little confused now. What order is Comtia looking for?

MF

The reason this is so confused among the books is that io.sys will do a
short read and load off one file, do the same to another file, go back to
the first file, and so on. So the final order listed is somewhat arbitrary.

Comptia has always been IMCCA, and, generally, config.sys is listed before
command.com.

As you know this, is really the DOS boot order. Win9x can does not need -
but will use - config.sys and autoexec.bat. And msdos.sys, which used to be
part of the core os, has had its core functions absorbed by io.sys and in
win9x is just a configuration file, preserved for backward compatability.

news22Jc.40351$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I also would like to know the answer to this question since I am taking

the
> OS exam soon.
>
> ExamCram2 lists the order as:
> IO.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, and AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
> A+ Certification for Dummies lists the order as:
> IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, and AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
> I am a little confused now. What order is Comtia looking for?
>
> --
> Steve, I-Net+
> Free PC Tech Support - http://www.webzila.com
> DLL Files - http://www.dllplanet.com
> Live Support - http://www.webzila.com/livesupport
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just a quick question as I get ready for the OS
> >
> > Is the boot order in windows9X - io.sys,msdos.sys, config.sys,
> > command.com, autoexec.bat?
> >
> > I have seen it listed with command com before config sys in a few
> > other books also. Does anyone know the right order or at least the
> > order that the OS exam is going to expect. I have seen a few other
> > possibilities on websites but these two seem to be the most common.
> >
> > also does anyone know of a website that lists a good summary of the
> > mimimum system requirements in a nice easy to memorize format.
> >
> > thanks

Chris

thanks

that kind of explains the discrepancy between sources