Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Some Windows ME Problems (errors)

Some Windows ME Problems (errors)

Tony

A customer brought a PC in to me after getting off the phone and being told that Dell does not help
with software problems). They told me that everyone they talked to or brought it to could not do
anything and the machine would not boot up.

I started in safe mode, took out a bunch of stuff in the startup menu, rebooted, installed spybot
and adaware (and removed around 150 bad files between the two). Now that most of the spyware files
are gone, it seemed to be running ok except that whenever I open IE, I get this message:

Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close. When I click ok, it works
fine, but it happens every time I open it. I know the customers are not going to want to see that. I
installed the latest IE 6.0 from MS website but the problem is still there.

Also, the home page keeps going back to about: blank. I ran Hijack This and ticked all of the about
blank entries and the problem is still there.

On the most recent boot, I get the following message when trying to open IE:

This program is incompatible with this version of Windows.

I rebooted and got the following messages as windows was loading:

The L232.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem
The Version.dll file cannot start.Check the file to determine the problem

So, there are 4 issues here. Anyone with any suggestions?

Here is the most recent Hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:54:55 AM, on 7/5/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\1\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM/left.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
O2 - BHO: Curl - {A78CC2FF-6E4E-4556-B27C-D7C3A70D7A50} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1B7D753B-1981-4bd2-91F3-6D055EE113A0} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program
files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {087173EF-9829-4F49-8340-A524177D3F60} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETP60.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {35844D4A-C4FB-4007-A13D-D3A08F0DCE20} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BDGMBA.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program
files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Rundll32_8] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETP60.DLL,DllRunServer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NDrv] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDrv.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference
2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® _JavaScript® Console (HKLM)

Thanks

Tony
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: _JavaScript Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: TREND MICRO HouseCall (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® _JavaScript® Console (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: _JavaScript Console (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) -
https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) -
https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...a/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2...ll/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7ED7005B-4AF6-4CFF-9AE0-F243C4B8260F} (HouseCallButton.setup) -
http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/file...CallButton.CAB

Tony

I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation, ran a Dos based antivirus and
now everthing is fixed except for the following error:

"Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer. When I click OK, the programs
function normally. I do not want to give this back to the customer like this. What is causing this?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Tony

mhaase-at-springmind.com

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:33:14 -0700 , Tony <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote:

>"Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

I'm betting it's a Spyware thing. Specifically a BHO (Browser help
Object).

Go to "Tools. Internet Options, Advanced", and uncheck "Enable third
party Browser Extensions". Do a restart and see if that stops the
error. If so, , run the traditional Ad-aware, Spybot, Hijaak This
Combo, plus, Search for somethinbg called "BHO Demon". This will show
you specifically what BHO's are loading, and allow you to control
them.

Geoff

Tony wrote:
> I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,
> ran a Dos based antivirus and now everthing is fixed except for the
> following error:
>
> "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now
> close"
>
> This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer.
> When I click OK, the programs function normally. I do not want to
> give this back to the customer like this. What is causing this?
> Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
>
> Tony

basicly if you have tryed everything to fix this just do a fresh install and
put all their settings back yourself
for all you know it could be duff hardware, like bad ram bad sectors on hdd
etc
windows could simple be screwed by all the spyware that was on it, crap
programs install the wrong files etc

TechGeekPro

On Jul 6, 2004 "mhaase-at-springmind.com" blathered:

> I'm betting it's a Spyware thing.

I'm betting it's a Windows Me thing.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

TechGeekPro

On Jul 6, 2004 "Geoff" blathered:

> windows could simple be screwed

Considering it's Windows Me, that's a given.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

TechGeekPro

On Jul 6, 2004 "Tony" blathered:

> I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,

Why on earth would you want to do that? It's like throwing bad after
worse.

> ran
> a Dos based antivirus and now everthing is fixed except for the
> following error:
>
> "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

Don't worry, I'm sure another error will pop up after you find the fix for
that one.

> This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer.
> When I click OK, the programs function normally. I do not want to give
> this back to the customer like this.

Then convince them of the evils of Windows Me and persuade them to either
downgrade to Windows 98SE or upgrade to Windows 2000.

> What is causing this?

Windows Me sucks.

> Thanks for
> any help anyone can give me.

If you (or your customer for that matter) are going to insist on using
Windows Me, there's not much help for you.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Can you tell I despise Windows Me?

TechGeekPro

On Jul 7, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

Then you must be the "ignorant ****" since it is you who is being hateful.

> Any competent tech could. The relative
> quality of the OS is a non-issue.

In my experience of dealing with hundreds of PC's running Windows Me, I
have found it to be very unreliable and unstable. It seems whenever one
problem is fixed more problems pop up. Yes you *can* get it to run
(eventually), but why go through the hassle when there are much better
alternatives?

In my experience of dealing with know-it-all little pricks who think
they're superior to everyone else, unfortunately I have not found a fix.

Anyone have a solutions for this epidemic?

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

TechGeekPro

On Jul 7, 2004 "Michael" blathered:

> ImhoTech wrote:
>
>> Who gives a **** what you despise. Hmmm...we know that ignorance breeds
>> hate, this would indicate that you must indicate you are an ignorant
>> **** incapable of getting ME to run. Any competent tech could. The
>> relative quality of the OS is a non-issue.
>>

> That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I would killfile you, but i
> need my daily laughs.
>
> Michael

I thought about kill-filing him too, but you're right, we need someone in
here to entertain us.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:26:02 -0500, TechGeekPro <%username%@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 6, 2004 "Tony" blathered:
>
>> I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,

>Why on earth would you want to do that? It's like throwing bad after
>worse.

Not always. Sometimes it's a quick and dirty way to save having to
restore your backups, if you have them. If it's a configuration
problem it may not have the desired effect, but if it's a corrupted
file or files it'll usually work fine.

Tom