Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Safe Mode doesn't work, Normal mode does

Safe Mode doesn't work, Normal mode does

bobG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ccgurj$q1e$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Bob: So you have reloaded the OS and still can't access Safe Mode. How
> about backing up all data deleting the partition and doing a complete
> re-install!
>
> A few other questions: Have you ever been able to access Safe Mode without
> problems? What was the last hardware or software change before the problem?
> Have you upgraded from an earlier OS or done any dual booting? Have you run
> Scandisk again?: If it locks up then you probably have a corrupted file
> somewhere. Lastly, before I get back to my revision, have you made any
> changes in CMOS? Alan.
>
>Hi Alan-

Congrats on your pass. I'll be writing my exams next month. Good
luck on OS!

To answer your questions is somewhat difficult, as I've not had my
hands on this box it's whole life. I don't know if Safe Mode was ever
accessable. I can't say what the last hardware or software change was
before I discovered the problem. It is not one of those things you
think is possible. I always assume Safe Mode will be there waiting for
me if I need it someday, ya know? I was doing what I thought would be
routine maintenance, found I couldn't run Scandisk in Normal Mode,
tried to boot to Safe to do it there, and ..Voila! Problem! I have
run Scandisk since, both before and after the dirty reinstall. No
problems found. I have defragged also, although, I doubt that would
apply to this situation anyway. I believe this system has been
upgraded from Win95. No dual boot. I've run SFC, and all is well.
The only change I made to CMOS after discovering this strange issue
was a VGABoot setting, changed from AGP to PCI. My video card is PCI.
That made no difference, either. As to reformat and clean reinstall,
I could, and might, but this is more an intellectual exercise than one
of necessity at this point. If it ever totally locks up or crashes,
that's what I'll do, but until then, Mom is able to do what little she
does with a computer just fine.

Thanks.
Bob

> "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in mess news:ccbh44$ht8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi again: I have given this some more thought. It can't be a hardware

> > problem if normal mode runs ok. I next would suggest running System File
> > Checker in System Tools. Have your Windows 98 CDROM ready. Any
> > missing/problem system files should get replaced. Also, it's interesting
> > that Task Manager is empty in Safe Mode: the only running task in Safe

> Mode
> > is Windows Explorer (C:\Windows\explorer.exe), perhaps explorer doesn't

> get
> > loaded properly for some reason in Safe Mode which would probably account
> > for the empty desktop. Let us know if that helps! Alan.
> > "bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm trying to clean up the Win98SE system my Mom inherited from my Dad
> > > when he passed away. While trying to run Scandisk, I got the not
> > > unusual 10 tries and stop; from my experience with ME, knew to run it
> > > in Safe Mode. Surprise! No Safe Mode. I get a screen with the words
> > > Safe Mode in the 4 corners, but no icons, no Start Menu. BTW, I was
> > > able to run Scandisk and then defrag in normal mode by unchecking a
> > > slew of items from the startup tab in msconfig.
> > >
> > > When I try to bring up a Start Menu using Ctrl + Esc, I get nothing.
> > > If I try to bring up Start Menu using Winkey, I get a Kernel32 Dialog
> > > box with the following error message:
> > >
> > > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> > > If the problem persists, contact the vendor.
> > >
> > > In this box are an OK button, and a Details button. If I click on
> > > either, it's as if the system freezes; the only way out is to use the
> > > reset button. If I Ctrl>Alt>Del, the Close Program dialog box is
> > > empty. I can Ctrl>Alt>Del again and restart from there.
> > >
> > > Again, Normal run runs fine.
> > >
> > > I've tried a re-install in place. No joy. I've tried reinstalling
> > > video drivers. Same result, i.e. no change. I've tried booting to MS
> > > DOS mode and getting to Safe mode that way; same results. I've tried
> > > booting from a startup disk and running Safe mode that way, same
> > > results.
> > >
> > > Anything ideas short of a reformat out there?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Bob

bobG

"juhu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40e94ab0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> How about starting from a floppy and run scandisk?
>
> Edi

Tried that; no problems found. Still no explorer.exe in Safe Mode.

Bob

(Austria)
> "bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm trying to clean up the Win98SE system my Mom inherited from my Dad
> > when he passed away. While trying to run Scandisk, I got the not
> > unusual 10 tries and stop; from my experience with ME, knew to run it
> > in Safe Mode. Surprise! No Safe Mode. I get a screen with the words
> > Safe Mode in the 4 corners, but no icons, no Start Menu. BTW, I was
> > able to run Scandisk and then defrag in normal mode by unchecking a
> > slew of items from the startup tab in msconfig.
> >
> > When I try to bring up a Start Menu using Ctrl + Esc, I get nothing.
> > If I try to bring up Start Menu using Winkey, I get a Kernel32 Dialog
> > box with the following error message:
> >
> > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> > If the problem persists, contact the vendor.
> >
> > In this box are an OK button, and a Details button. If I click on
> > either, it's as if the system freezes; the only way out is to use the
> > reset button. If I Ctrl>Alt>Del, the Close Program dialog box is
> > empty. I can Ctrl>Alt>Del again and restart from there.
> >
> > Again, Normal run runs fine.
> >
> > I've tried a re-install in place. No joy. I've tried reinstalling
> > video drivers. Same result, i.e. no change. I've tried booting to MS
> > DOS mode and getting to Safe mode that way; same results. I've tried
> > booting from a startup disk and running Safe mode that way, same
> > results.
> >
> > Anything ideas short of a reformat out there?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Bob

Hi Bob - Can you boot in Safe Mode and go to Start | Run and type MSCONFIG
for the System Config Utility and have a look at your System.ini file and
click on + [Boot] group: Does it show [Shell] = Explorere.exe ? Cheers -
Alan.

"bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "juhu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<40e94ab0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > How about starting from a floppy and run scandisk?
> >
> > Edi
> >

> Tried that; no problems found. Still no explorer.exe in Safe Mode.
>
> Bob
>

> (Austria)
> > "bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm trying to clean up the Win98SE system my Mom inherited from my Dad
> > > when he passed away. While trying to run Scandisk, I got the not
> > > unusual 10 tries and stop; from my experience with ME, knew to run it
> > > in Safe Mode. Surprise! No Safe Mode. I get a screen with the words
> > > Safe Mode in the 4 corners, but no icons, no Start Menu. BTW, I was
> > > able to run Scandisk and then defrag in normal mode by unchecking a
> > > slew of items from the startup tab in msconfig.
> > >
> > > When I try to bring up a Start Menu using Ctrl + Esc, I get nothing.
> > > If I try to bring up Start Menu using Winkey, I get a Kernel32 Dialog
> > > box with the following error message:
> > >
> > > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> > > If the problem persists, contact the vendor.
> > >
> > > In this box are an OK button, and a Details button. If I click on
> > > either, it's as if the system freezes; the only way out is to use the
> > > reset button. If I Ctrl>Alt>Del, the Close Program dialog box is
> > > empty. I can Ctrl>Alt>Del again and restart from there.
> > >
> > > Again, Normal run runs fine.
> > >
> > > I've tried a re-install in place. No joy. I've tried reinstalling
> > > video drivers. Same result, i.e. no change. I've tried booting to MS
> > > DOS mode and getting to Safe mode that way; same results. I've tried
> > > booting from a startup disk and running Safe mode that way, same
> > > results.
> > >
> > > Anything ideas short of a reformat out there?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Bob

bobG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ccjjru$nvg$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Bob - Can you boot in Safe Mode and go to Start | Run and type MSCONFIG
> for the System Config Utility and have a look at your System.ini file and
> click on + [Boot] group: Does it show [Shell] = Explorere.exe ? Cheers -
> Alan.
>

> "bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "juhu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<40e94ab0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > How about starting from a floppy and run scandisk?
> > >
> > > Edi
> > >

> > Tried that; no problems found. Still no explorer.exe in Safe Mode.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> > (Austria)
> > > "bobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Alan-

Thanks for your interest, but you have to reread my OP. I have NOTHING
in Safe Mode. No hotkeys bring up a Start Menu. There is nothing but
the words Safe Mode in the four corners. NO Icons, No START MENU.
Don't mean to rant, but if I could get to Start>Run, I wouldn't be
posting looking for answers to what even MS says seems to be a unique
situation.

I think the only way to solve this is to reformat if/when the system
crashes and becomes intractable.

Bob

Simon Roth

hi

Perhaps the BootKeys option in MSDOS.sys is set to 0. If yes, set it to one.

cya

simon

bobG

Simon Roth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40f6e2df$0$1945$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> hi
>
> Perhaps the BootKeys option in MSDOS.sys is set to 0. If yes, set it to one.
>
> cya
>
> simon

The Bootkeys option simply sets the function keys active or inactive,
right? The boot function keys on this system work fine...it's the
actual Safe Mode which doesn't, as it's not loading explorer. Thanks
for the thought.

Bob

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM
Safe Mode doesn't work, Normal mode does bobG A+ Certification 0 07-06-2004 10:57 PM

Advertisments