Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Help! How do i connect my home PC to my home Laptop?

Re: Help! How do i connect my home PC to my home Laptop?

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, both computers have Ethernet.
>
> We need some more information to provide the best help: Is your
> internet connection broadband or dialup? Do you have a router?
>
> If you have a broadband internet connection (cable modem or DSL modem),
> and you don't already have one, get a router. Connect the "WAN" input
> of the router to the Ethernet jack on the modem (cable or DSL). Connect
> both computers to the router's "LAN" ports (it will have 3 to 8 such
> ports, each computer connects to a different one). That completes the
> hardware connection.
>
> Software wise, right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties" and
> select the "computer name" tab. Use the "change" tab to give both
> computers the EXACT same workgroup name, and different computer names
> (select "workgroup" instead of "domain" UNLESS this is a work computer
> that is also connected, while you are in the office, to a large
> corporate LAN -- if that's the case, then this whole issue becomes FAR
> more complex).
>
> Open "My Computer", browse to drives/folders that you wish to share over
> the network, right-click on them and select the sharing tab, check the
> boxes as desired.
>
> You will have to restart the computers, and after a while (2-5 minutes),
> each computer should appear on the other computer in the "My Network
> Places" Window.
>
> There are some cautions here, you should only share things when
> operating behind a router, and even then there is some risk. I wouldn't
> leave large numbers of folders or the root directory of a drive shared
> continuously.
>
> There are some other ways to do this, including doing it without a
> router, but that's the standard quick way in a nutshell.

Barry I have to compliment you, no sarcasam intended or anything like that.
That is one of the best short discussions of Windows Networking that I've
ever read. I just wish it was always that easy.

Venus, the only thing that I would add is that if all you want to do is
connect the two computers in a temporary network so that you can copy files
from one to the other you can use a crossover cable. You can buy one or if
you have the tools you can make one too. If you need directions just Google
for crossover cable.

AG