Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Computer won't boot/start up - Help!

Computer won't boot/start up - Help!

Gondo

Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay, had
a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an Intel
CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.

Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
necessary cable connections as far as I know.

There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.

So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Gondo

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:01:31 -0500, "Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
>memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay, had
>a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an Intel
>CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>
>Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
>aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
>necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>
>There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
>heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>
>So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
>problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
>start?
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
>-Gondo

Any error beeps? Is the internal speaker connected and working? This
won't be the cause, but could help you dignose if it is working.

Tom

bald eagle

If you don't get anything on the monitor it usually points to a video
problem.

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:27:05 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:01:31 -0500, "Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
>>memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay, had
>>a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an Intel
>>CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>>
>>Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
>>aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
>>necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>>
>>There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
>>heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>>
>>So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
>>problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
>>start?
>>
>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>>
>>-Gondo
>>

>Any error beeps? Is the internal speaker connected and working? This
>won't be the cause, but could help you dignose if it is working.
>
>Tom

Gondo

Thanks for all the suggestions! No speaker beeps, so will check that first.
Then will try all the other ideas mentioned. Will report back - hopefully
with some good news.

-Gondo

"Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
> memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay,

had
> a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an

Intel
> CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>
> Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
> aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
> necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>
> There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
> heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>
> So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
> problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
> start?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> -Gondo

SilverSurfer

Could be that your MoBo is being shorted on the case. Try to put the mobo on
a piece of cardboard and connect only the most essential peripherals. Try
booting up. If it works, carefully check your case stand-offs. Common
problem.

SilverSurfer, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP.

"Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
> memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay,

had
> a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an

Intel
> CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>
> Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
> aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
> necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>
> There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
> heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>
> So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
> problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
> start?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> -Gondo

Gondo

Thanks Surfer, will try that next.

Can't find a speaker on this thing anywhere, don't even see a power
connector on the MOBO for it.

Swapped out video card with known working one, no difference. I don't have
any other RAM to try, so can't test that. It's 512MB of Kingston ValuRAM,
PC2100.

Popped the CMOS battery out for about 5 minutes, reinstalled, no difference.

I'm starting to narrow it down to the MOBO or the MOBO BIOS chip. Thinking I
may need to get a replacement BIOS chip with the latest BIOS flashed on it,
if Surfer's suggestions doesn't help.

Any more ideas are appreciated, thanks!

-Gondo

"SilverSurfer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z3YEc.1205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could be that your MoBo is being shorted on the case. Try to put the mobo

on
> a piece of cardboard and connect only the most essential peripherals. Try
> booting up. If it works, carefully check your case stand-offs. Common
> problem.
>
> SilverSurfer, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP.
>
> "Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
> > memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay,

> had
> > a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an

> Intel
> > CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
> >
> > Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins

were
> > aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
> > necessary cable connections as far as I know.
> >
> > There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting

power,
> > heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
> >
> > So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
> > problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
> > start?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
> >
> > -Gondo

TechGeekPro

On 01 Jul 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

> "bald eagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you don't get anything on the monitor it usually points to a video
>> problem.
>>

> Typical assumption made by non-technician.

Are you saying that not getting anything on the monitor usually *isn't* a
video problem?

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Gondo

Just downloaded the tech. spec. .pdf from the Intel web site on the D845EBT
mobo, and evidently there is a speaker, installed right on the motherboard,
a little black round thing about a half-inch wide in diameter just to the
right of the 2 RAID controllers.

In anyone cares to take a look, it's at
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-008791.htm

Still not a peep from the little thing, though .

Thanks,
-Gondo

"Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
> memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay,

had
> a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an

Intel
> CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>
> Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
> aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
> necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>
> There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
> heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>
> So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
> problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
> start?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> -Gondo

Gondo

Well, I tried SilverSurfer's suggestion - removed motherboard, put it on
cardboard next to the case and hooked up just power to the motherboard, CPU
fan and power switch. Then installed the video card in the AGP slot, plugged
in the power cord and hit the power button. Same result, nothing.

I would say I've got a bad motherboard, or at the least, the motherboard
BIOS is corrupted/missing and I need to get a new BIOS chip flashed with the
latest BIOS version.

Any other conclusions are welcome, thanks for all the ideas guys!

-Gondo

"Gondo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bought a project VPR Matrix 226R tower on eBay with no CPU, hard drive,
> memory, video card. Purchased a CPU, video card and memory used on eBay,

had
> a used 30GB Maxtor hard drive already and installed all along with an

Intel
> CPU heat sink/fan. Replaced the original P4 2.26GHz CPU with a 2.4.
>
> Was careful when installing the CPU and heat sink/fan, made sure pins were
> aligned on the CPU and the heat sink/fan snapped down solid. I made all
> necessary cable connections as far as I know.
>
> There's power when I turn it on, all components seem to be getting power,
> heat sink/fan is working, but nothing shows up on the monitor at all.
>
> So is the CPU bad? Or is the BIOS corrupted/missing? Memory/video card
> problems? I've never seen this before so I'm at a loss. Where should I
> start?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> -Gondo

TechGeekPro

On 01 Jul 2004 "Linker3000" blathered:

> TechGeekPro wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that not getting anything on the monitor usually *isn't* a
>> video problem?
>>

> [Had to jump in to save you from ImhoTech in a bad mood...]

Yeah, I could tell.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+