Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Windows XP

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows XP

 
 
Paul Kersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
What would cause programs that had previously been removed from the start up
list in the system configuation Utility to be placed back in the start up
list?
Is this a sign of a virus? Machine may have been exposed, due to no
firewall for a period of time..... on a DSL line.
System Restore also proved to be ineffective.


Thanks,
PK

A+


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Kersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
Owner did say that he had run adware and spyware removal. Have not actually
seen machine, only asked some questions about it by owner. He did say that
these were unwanted/unknown programs that were loading up.

He did say he kept Windows and Norton updated, however it is a family
machine and that Kazaa was being used....how much I don't know.

His son, 15, used the machine for some gaming, but didn't get the impression
he was all that knowledgeable about computing....just enough to be dangerous
I guess...

My first instinct was to tell him to format hard drive and reload OS. My
second instinct was to suggest he get the kids their own machine so that
they'd have to learn to deal with problems like this on their own machine,
without killing the family pc....

You fellas probably run into this senerio sometimes,...a friend or family
member finds out about your line of work and starts asking ?????'s about
some situation at home or work...that's what this is....

thanks,
PK
A+

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Paul Kersey" <Paul http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:X8fEc.72440$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > What would cause programs that had previously been removed from the

start
> up
> > list in the system configuation Utility to be placed back in the start

up
> > list?
> > Is this a sign of a virus? Machine may have been exposed, due to no
> > firewall for a period of time..... on a DSL line.
> > System Restore also proved to be ineffective.
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > PK
> >
> > A+
> >
> >

>
> Um..something loading from somewhere else that loads startup entries? By
> itself it means nothing. Its normal procedure for some programs. What else
> have you done? What was the entry? Have you run Adware/spyware removal,
> Antivirus and etc?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2004
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:31:30 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Owner did say that he had run adware and spyware removal. Have not actually
>seen machine, only asked some questions about it by owner. He did say that
>these were unwanted/unknown programs that were loading up.


A bit of friendly advice, which you may already be aware of. While it
is okay to accept the word of another for preliminary analysis, once
you get into the hands on, you must do whatever you would do from
scratch. Communication glitches is one of several reasons for this.

Tom

>
> He did say he kept Windows and Norton updated, however it is a family
>machine and that Kazaa was being used....how much I don't know.
>
>His son, 15, used the machine for some gaming, but didn't get the impression
>he was all that knowledgeable about computing....just enough to be dangerous
>I guess...
>
>My first instinct was to tell him to format hard drive and reload OS. My
>second instinct was to suggest he get the kids their own machine so that
>they'd have to learn to deal with problems like this on their own machine,
>without killing the family pc....
>
>You fellas probably run into this senerio sometimes,...a friend or family
>member finds out about your line of work and starts asking ?????'s about
>some situation at home or work...that's what this is....
>
>thanks,
>PK
>A+
>
>"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Paul Kersey" <Paul (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:X8fEc.72440$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> > What would cause programs that had previously been removed from the

>start
>> up
>> > list in the system configuation Utility to be placed back in the start

>up
>> > list?
>> > Is this a sign of a virus? Machine may have been exposed, due to no
>> > firewall for a period of time..... on a DSL line.
>> > System Restore also proved to be ineffective.
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > PK
>> >
>> > A+
>> >
>> >

>>
>> Um..something loading from somewhere else that loads startup entries? By
>> itself it means nothing. Its normal procedure for some programs. What else
>> have you done? What was the entry? Have you run Adware/spyware removal,
>> Antivirus and etc?
>>
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
!Windows Live Mail replace Outlook Express on Windows XP and Windows Mail on Vista... Max Burke NZ Computing 8 05-18-2007 12:10 AM
Windows XP Home Connected to Windows XP Pro via TCP/IP Armstrong Wong Wireless Networking 1 11-25-2004 01:12 PM
wireless ad-hoc with Windows XP and Windows 2000 =?Utf-8?B?ZHVtbWthdWY=?= Wireless Networking 1 09-23-2004 11:34 AM
Windows XP laptop and Windows 2000 desktop won't communicate =?Utf-8?B?UmlmbGVtYW4=?= Wireless Networking 0 08-19-2004 03:35 AM



Advertisments