Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: SeaTools FREE disk utility from Seagate - go get it!

Re: SeaTools FREE disk utility from Seagate - go get it!

Jack

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
>download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
>into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
>disk, not just Seagate.

That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
like help or a menu.

Linker3000

Jack wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
>>download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
>>into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
>>disk, not just Seagate.

> That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
> next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
> There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
> like help or a menu.

If it doesn't boot into a menu then you probably have a corrupt diskette
- maybe you reused some old ones? This happened to me the first time I
made the diskettes and I redid a new set and they worked fine.

L3K

Jack

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:07:37 +0000 (UTC), Linker3000
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jack wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:26 +0100, Linker3000
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>If you haven't come across SeaTools then hop over to Seagate and
>>>download a FREE copy - you can make a two-floppy disk set that boots
>>>into some useful disk diagnostic and repair utilities for ANY make of
>>>disk, not just Seagate.

>> That's very nice, but having booted up using the floppy disk, what
>> next? It comes up with a DOS prompt and a blank screen.
>> There's just a few .COM files, no EXE files, no suggestion of anything
>> like help or a menu.
>>

>If it doesn't boot into a menu then you probably have a corrupt diskette
>- maybe you reused some old ones? This happened to me the first time I
>made the diskettes and I redid a new set and they worked fine.

Thank you, you are correct. I have used new diskettes and I now get a
menu. Strange that there were no errors displayed in the creation of
the original diskettes, and that the boot disk appeared to be doing
something and didn't display any error messages.