Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Hard Drive Problems

Hard Drive Problems

DW

I have two computers networked and running WinXP Pro. The one computer had
been off for about a week, and when I attempted to start it, it was DOA. I
came to the conclusion that the power supply was bad. After replacing the
PS, I restarted, and the BIOS would not recognize the drive. After,
attempting auto detect, booting from XP CD, other IDE controller, new cable,
battery, etc., nothing would get the drive to spin up. Assuming the drive
was probably a goner, I hooked up an identical drive (Maxtor 30Gig) and had
the same result. I even tried them both as slaves on my other machine. No
recognition, no spin.

Has anyone else seen this problem. Is it weirdly possible that both drive
are now bad? The power supply was also the same wattage as the original,
could there be a problem there? I would really like to get the data off the
drive. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

DW

DW

Will,

I've tried those suggestions, with no luck. This is a tough one to figure.
Thanks.

DW
**********************************
"Will Dormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5K4zc.36169$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DW wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else seen this problem. Is it weirdly possible that both

drive
> > are now bad? The power supply was also the same wattage as the

original,
> > could there be a problem there? I would really like to get the data off

the
> > drive. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

> The drive should spin up when the system is powered on, reglardless of
> bios settings or anything else. I'm assuming you're going by feel or
> sound to tell if the drive is spinning?
>
> Have you tried another power connector in the same machine?
> What about either drive in a different machine?
>

> -WD

David Hough

Are you really getting the power connector plugged into the drive? Try
a different power connector and use a pair of channel locks to squeeze it in