Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

Joe

someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
boot it, play with it.
All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
open, so what could be the problem?

changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
blown,is there any fuse?

the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued

any ideas?

Tom MacIntyre

On 9 Jun 2004 13:44:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Joe) wrote:

>someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
>in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
>boot it, play with it.
>All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
>beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
>open, so what could be the problem?
>
>changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
>secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
>blown,is there any fuse?

Not likely the problem...motherboard, CPU, RAM, and/or connections are
indicated.

>the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
>
>any ideas?

Well, it's 5 years old. Strip it down to basics, reseat even the basic
connections. If you can borrow a POST card it may be worth a look.

Tom

Kenny

Try changing the CMOS battery.

--

Kenny

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
> in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
> boot it, play with it.
> All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
> beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
> open, so what could be the problem?
>
> changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
> secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
> blown,is there any fuse?
>
> the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
>
> any ideas?

Tony

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:34:36 +0100, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try changing the CMOS battery.

If all of the above fail, try another power supply. No post usually points to the CPU or the
motherboard. If there is no (or bad) memory, there are usually beeps involved.

Tony

Joe

I changed CMOS battery,thats not it,if fans,cd drives open it cant be PS can it?

> >Try changing the CMOS battery.

> If all of the above fail, try another power supply. No post usually points to the CPU or the
> motherboard. If there is no (or bad) memory, there are usually beeps involved.
>
> Tony

Joe

ok,i removed everything,dimms,HD,floppy,cables,PCI cards, there is no
beep,no screen,PS fan,mobo fans work, so i assume its motherboard?

> I changed CMOS battery,thats not it,if fans,cd drives open it cant be PS can it?
>

> > >Try changing the CMOS battery.

> > If all of the above fail, try another power supply. No post usually points to the CPU or the
> > motherboard. If there is no (or bad) memory, there are usually beeps involved.
> >
> > Tony

Hi - Check that the onboard speaker is connected or you won't hear POST beep
codes. I think I would fit a new graphics card.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
> in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
> boot it, play with it.
> All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
> beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
> open, so what could be the problem?
>
> changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
> secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
> blown,is there any fuse?
>
> the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
>
> any ideas?

I bought a POST card reader on Ebay for 13 sterling and it works great.

"Richard Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <cachrf$kpe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Hi - Check that the onboard speaker is connected or you won't
> >hear POST beep codes. I think I would fit a new graphics card.
> >
> >"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >
> >>someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
> >>in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
> >>boot it, play with it.
> >>All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
> >>beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
> >>open, so what could be the problem?
> >>
> >>changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
> >>secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
> >>blown,is there any fuse?
> >>
> >>the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
> >>
> >>any ideas?

> You need a 'POSTcard'. This is a test card that plugs
> into a PCI (or ISA? -- I know no POSTcards for MCA bus
> computers) bus slot and reads the POST codes as they
> are executed. LEDs on the POST card indicate that the
> clock is running and POST is occuring. The POST codes
> are displayed on eight segment alphanumeric readouts on
> the POSTcard -- you can observe exactly what is (not)
> happening. These cost ~$100US.
>
> Example: POSTcard indicates that video/keyboard POST test fails.
> Swapping a known good videocard and known good keyboard
> does not solve the problem. The motherboard probably is blown.
>
> 'Hope that helps.
>
> Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
> (E-Mail Removed)
> --
> Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging and security
> Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
> SALES
> P.O. Box 2609
> Saint Louis MO 63116-0609
> United States
> (314) 776-2799 (days & emergencies -- telephone only, no voice mail)
>
> Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
> --
> Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
> Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
> Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

Re: IBM APTIVA 2171 64G Audio Driver Sunny Computer Support 0 08-10-2005 10:27 PM
How do I reinstall the Mwave drivers for a IBM Aptiva 2144-Z27..W95. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au NZ Computing 1 02-03-2005 06:27 AM
Ibm Aptiva RAS Computer Support 3 12-24-2004 05:21 PM
IBM Aptiva PC gajaco Computer Information 1 11-09-2004 06:26 PM
IBM Aptiva Reformat and Installs no .spam Computer Support 5 02-08-2004 05:18 AM

Advertisments