Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Shutdown on http problem?

Shutdown on http problem?

lanceman

HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started rebooting
at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time (about
3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a re
format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I installed
NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened. The
PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
the story?

Some things I've tried:
If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
responds
Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on other
PC's including those in the server.
The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
didn;t see anything.
I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.

I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
software problem. Or is the virus still there?

Any suggestions?

Lanceman

Geoff

lanceman wrote:
> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem.
> My room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and

<snip>

in which case why isn't it fixed already

what virus name exactly, find out, look for it, what method of infection
does it use

run memtest86 (stick it in google)
and test the memory in that, memory is number 1 suspect of unstable pc's

Ben

Sounds like the SASSER worm to me. I had it hit both my networks. My bad
for not installing the patch prior to.

Check this info may help.....

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...sser.worm.html

My fix was; unplug from the network and install the patch

Good luck!

"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

rebooting
> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

(about
> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

re
> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

installed
> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

The
> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
> the story?
>
> Some things I've tried:
> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
> responds
> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

other
> PC's including those in the server.
> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
> didn;t see anything.
> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>
> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Lanceman

Nildram

If you don't have up-to-date antivirus then you don't know that the network
is in fact healed?

Do the easy stuff first like swap the network card, switch memory with
another machine etc. Rule out all this basic stuff and the virus situation
then you will have a problem worthy of asking people about.

This coming from someone of TEACHES A+. !!

M.

"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

rebooting
> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

(about
> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

re
> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

installed
> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

The
> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
> the story?
>
> Some things I've tried:
> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
> responds
> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

other
> PC's including those in the server.
> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
> didn;t see anything.
> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>
> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Lanceman

---

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:36:37 +0100, "Nildram" <yesright@nonospamo.4me>
wrote:

>If you don't have up-to-date antivirus then you don't know that the network
>is in fact healed?
>
>Do the easy stuff first like swap the network card, switch memory with
>another machine etc. Rule out all this basic stuff and the virus situation
>then you will have a problem worthy of asking people about.
>
>This coming from someone of TEACHES A+. !!
>
>M.

There are probably people who teach medicine who aren't/weren't
necessarily good doctors. There are Major League Baseball batting
coaches, good ones, who couldn't hit worth a darn. In this case there
have been some steps that should'be been taken, but there were also
steps taken which indicate a level of competence. We don't know why
certain things haven't been done that should have been. IMHO

Tom

>"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
>> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
>> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

>rebooting
>> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
>> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

>(about
>> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
>> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

>re
>> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

>installed
>> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
>> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

>The
>> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
>> the story?
>>
>> Some things I've tried:
>> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
>> responds
>> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

>other
>> PC's including those in the server.
>> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
>> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
>> didn;t see anything.
>> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
>> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>>
>> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
>> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Lanceman
>>

>---

mhaase-at-springmind.com

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:29:04 -0700 , "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sounds like the SASSER worm to me. I had it hit both my networks. My bad
>for not installing the patch prior to.
>
>Check this info may help.....
>
>http://securityresponse.symantec.com...sser.worm.html
>

>My fix was; unplug from the network and install the patch
>
>Good luck!

Actually, Sasser doesn't hit W98 machines....although it may still be
a virus, that's not it.

>"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
>> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
>> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

>rebooting
>> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
>> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

>(about
>> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
>> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

>re
>> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

>installed
>> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
>> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

>The
>> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
>> the story?
>>
>> Some things I've tried:
>> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
>> responds
>> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

>other
>> PC's including those in the server.
>> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
>> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
>> didn;t see anything.
>> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
>> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>>
>> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
>> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Lanceman

I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

(sigh) Address altered against Spam.

Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

Thumper

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:50:10 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:36:37 +0100, "Nildram" <yesright@nonospamo.4me>
>wrote:
>
>>If you don't have up-to-date antivirus then you don't know that the network
>>is in fact healed?
>>
>>Do the easy stuff first like swap the network card, switch memory with
>>another machine etc. Rule out all this basic stuff and the virus situation
>>then you will have a problem worthy of asking people about.
>>
>>This coming from someone of TEACHES A+. !!
>>
>>M.

>There are probably people who teach medicine who aren't/weren't
>necessarily good doctors. There are Major League Baseball batting
>coaches, good ones, who couldn't hit worth a darn. In this case there
>have been some steps that should'be been taken, but there were also
>steps taken which indicate a level of competence. We don't know why
>certain things haven't been done that should have been. IMHO
>
>Tom

People ought to give the guy credit for admitting that he teaches. he
could just as easily made up a story. It isn't really relevant to
helping him.
Thumper

>>"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
>>> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
>>> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

>>rebooting
>>> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
>>> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

>>(about
>>> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
>>> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

>>re
>>> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

>>installed
>>> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
>>> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

>>The
>>> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
>>> the story?
>>>
>>> Some things I've tried:
>>> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
>>> responds
>>> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

>>other
>>> PC's including those in the server.
>>> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
>>> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
>>> didn;t see anything.
>>> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
>>> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>>>
>>> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
>>> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Lanceman
>>>

>>---

Hi, How about a quick Fdisk /MBR to get rid of a boot sector virus. I have
Norton & McAfee on different PCs and the former failed to spot a virus that
the latter found and cleaned. As for being up to date - yes every day sir
together with McAfee Firewall and daily Scumware removal using two
applications. Passed the Core exam this week but not looking forward to the
OS exam!
"lanceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HELP, I teach A+ certification in HS and have a perplexing problem. My
> room is set up with a private LAN containing10 PC's (with XP) and a unix
> based server box connected with a switch. One of the PCs started

rebooting
> at the first access of the server from Internet explorer using a http URL.
> There was some sort of virus floating around the school at that time

(about
> 3 weeks ago) which exhibited similiar symptoms, so I suspected that the PC
> had somehow got infected. I repartitioned the hard drive followed by a

re
> format and a clean install of Win 98SE. (just to be different) I

installed
> NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols (with fixed IP address), tried ping to check
> continuity, and fired up my browser and whamo the same thing happened.

The
> PC rebooted as soon as the the browser tried to access the server. What's
> the story?
>
> Some things I've tried:
> If I use an invalid URL, there is no problem, since nothing on the network
> responds
> Microsoft networking seems to work OK. I can access other folders on

other
> PC's including those in the server.
> The server also supports ftp. If I ftp the server, no problem.
> I looked in CMOS for some sort of wake -on-LAN setting that might be bad -
> didn;t see anything.
> I ran Norton antivirus but it didn't find anything ( although it is not
> current to the last 6 mos). Don't know if it checks the MBR.
>
> I haven't swapped out the ethernet card yet, I am still holding out for a
> software problem. Or is the virus still there?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Lanceman

lanceman

All youse helpers, thanks for the comments on my http problem and my
debugging/teaching skills.

The virus the school had was indeed the Sasser virus, which according to my
research does not affect Win 98 (which I have installed on this PC -
although I did have XP earlier and maybe it stuck around dispite my
repartition and reformat). Also no other PCs on my network have exhibited
any of the same symptoms.

I downloaded a memory testing program per suggestion and ran it overnight on
the PC but did not get any errors. I'm not sure what I was supposed to find
anyhow. If there is a bad memory location, can't the software live through
it? Why would the PC restart instead of someother software error?

My last resort is to change the NIC which I have saved for last in the hope
of finding a more elegant cause, not because I didn't consider it earlier.
I do teach my students to check the more obvious (and sometimes easiest)
things first when troubleshooting. I just haven't found the time, but know
that finals are over and classes are over, it will give me a summer project.

I'll let y'all know what I find - if U care.

lanceman

news:(E-Mail Removed)...