Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > New Problems DOS + Monitor

New Problems DOS + Monitor

teak

It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
and keep stroking.

My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
I can work them on C prompt.

And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?

Thanks.

Tino

Geoff

teak wrote:
> It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
> worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
> built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
> proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
> and keep stroking.
>
> My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
> not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
> implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
> I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
> I can work them on C prompt.
>
> And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
> and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
> to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tino

cd = change directory not change drive
if you want to change drive just type the letter
like this
a:

however if you where to do cd like that you could use it for something like
this:

---

C:\>cd e:\temp

C:\>copy autoexec.bat e:
1 file(s) copied.

C:\>e:

E:\temp>dir
Volume in drive E is QD8-A1
Volume Serial Number is 1234-5678

Directory of E:\temp

04/06/2004 04:31 PM <DIR> .
04/06/2004 04:31 PM <DIR> ..
05/10/2003 09:39 PM 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
1 File(s) 0 bytes
3 Dir(s) 1,333,395,456 bytes free

E:\temp>

---

a better way to do this would be

copy autoexec.bat e:\temp
as this tells the copy command exactyly where to put the file

prob the most use dos is these days if for installing win9x machines, boot
off the win98se cd
boot with cd support and do this:

(assuming you did fdisk and then format first)

md c:\win98
copy e:\win98\*.* c:\win98 (i think it makes e the cdrom drive letter i
forget)
c:
cd win98
setup
---

oh ya, the serial number 1234-5678 on that hdd above is not edited in any
way, try work out how i have it

AG

"teak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
> worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
> built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
> proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
> and keep stroking.
>
> My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
> not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
> implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
> I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
> I can work them on C prompt.
>
> And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
> and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
> to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tino

What OS are you using? Just DOS? If so what version? Is a full install or
did you just SYS the drive with a boot disk? It sounds like you need to put
in the video card drivers.
AG

Hey - just type A: at the C:> prompt to get to the A: prompt

CD\ just takes you back a level use X: where X is the drive you want to
change to.

As for the video card, have you installed the driver?