Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > OS exam this Friday...

OS exam this Friday...

PlazticSoul

Ok let's see... I've made my way through Mike Meyers' All-in-One exam guide,
5th edition. I understand all the concepts. I use WinXP Pro at home so I'm
very comfortable with that, and I use Win2000 Pro at work.

When I studied for the Core exam, I had to memorize a few things even though
the concepts were clear. Is there something I need to focus on memorizing
for this test, or do you think I ought to do well? The Mike Meyers book has
been reviewed so many times, the information is very boring now... it
doesn't seem like I can absorb much more info from it. So am I ready?

J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+

You'll probably do fine.
You already passed Core Hardware, so you know
the format and pacing of a Comptia exam.
You use XP and 2000, so just emphasize the
legacy OS's in your review.
Take a couple of practice tests in the next couple of days.
There are some online, or
go down to your local book store and take the
OS practice test at the back of a book like
ExamCram. btw, ExamCram also has a list of
must know items on the fold-in cover flap.

Good luck.
=================

"J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49634$40be0db9$4589acf7$29414@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> You'll probably do fine.
> You already passed Core Hardware, so you know
> the format and pacing of a Comptia exam.
> You use XP and 2000, so just emphasize the
> legacy OS's in your review.
> Take a couple of practice tests in the next couple of days.
> There are some online, or
> go down to your local book store and take the
> OS practice test at the back of a book like
> ExamCram. btw, ExamCram also has a list of
> must know items on the fold-in cover flap.
>
> Good luck.
> =================

Hey, thanks for the encouraging words. I am taking a full day off from work
tomorrow for last-minute preparation. I did this for the Core exam and that
proved to be very wise!

Troubleshooting is not a problem for me. What I need to brush up on, as far
as I can tell, is both the minimum and preferred requirements for installing
every Windows version. I also need to make sure I know all of the main files
responsible for booting them and what each one does, and where to find them.
Anything else someone might care to add? Hurry. The clock is ticking down
Many more thanks in advance!!!

PlazticSoul

Just a follow-up, I passed and now am waiting on my certificate!

J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+

Way to go !

Celebrate now; don't wait for your mail.
CompTIA spared no expense on the
sad, flimsy, peal-off, paper
card they're sending you.

=======
> Just a follow-up, I passed and now am waiting on my certificate!

mjohns2

Congrats... Awesome job

news:6a2a5$40c0ed52$4589acf7$14939@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Way to go !
>
> Celebrate now; don't wait for your mail.
> CompTIA spared no expense on the
> sad, flimsy, peal-off, paper
> card they're sending you.
>
> =======
> "PlazticSoul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Just a follow-up, I passed and now am waiting on my certificate!

It's not even certificate-size? It's more like a card? That really sucks. I
paid $300! You would think for that price, they would issue a fancy,
gold-embossed certificate, worthy of framing!! >

PlazticSoul

"mjohns2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6xbwc.65326$c%(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Congrats... Awesome job
>

> "PlazticSoul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Just a follow-up, I passed and now am waiting on my certificate!

Thanks. Was really worried because I have had eye paid for the past few
months and the eye docs say my eyes are just fine. I thought it was an
allergic reaction to Adderall so I stopped taking that, which really
impaired my ability to prepare for the exam. I barely passed, but who needs
to know that? Hehe...

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:07:08 -0500, "PlazticSoul"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:6a2a5$40c0ed52$4589acf7$14939@allthenewsgrou ps.com...
>> Way to go !
>>
>> Celebrate now; don't wait for your mail.
>> CompTIA spared no expense on the
>> sad, flimsy, peal-off, paper
>> card they're sending you.
>>
>> =======
>> "PlazticSoul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Just a follow-up, I passed and now am waiting on my certificate!
>>>

>It's not even certificate-size? It's more like a card? That really sucks. I
>paid $300! You would think for that price, they would issue a fancy,
>gold-embossed certificate, worthy of framing!! >

Brainbench certificates are pretty nice...

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:59:44 -0400, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:07:08 -0500, "PlazticSoul"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >"J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:6a2a5$40c0ed52$4589acf7$14939@allthenewsgrou ps.com...

>> >It's not even certificate-size? It's more like a card? That really sucks.

>> >paid $300! You would think for that price, they would issue a fancy,
>> >gold-embossed certificate, worthy of framing!! >
>> >

>> Brainbench certificates are pretty nice...
>>
>> Tom

>Kinda sad that the Brainbench certs are actually much better quality
>certificates than the Comptia ones. Did you get in on those while they were
>still completely free?

I got about 15 or 20, I think. I was a Brainbench MVP for awhile also.
I did more than just IT stuff...Telephone Etiquette, Childcare, Math,
English, etc...

They're actually quite similar to some employment aptitude tests, some
of them anyway.

Tom