Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > K-12 Computer Lab Suggestions LONG POST

K-12 Computer Lab Suggestions LONG POST

Yummy

I support a computer lab for a K-12 private school. They recently
received a sizeable monetary donation for IT upgrades, mainly
pertaining to the lab. The lab currently has a mix of 24 IBM and Dell
PC's, none of which are faster than a 600 mhz Celeron. The OS's are
Windows ME on the Dells and W2K on the IBM's. The lab is on the same
campus network domain as the admin and teachers. Internet access is
SDSL and runs through a netopia router (new) and a 24 and 12 port
10/100 Zyxel switch, also new.

The principal wants to replace all lab pc's with P4 systems in the 2.8
to 3.0 ghz range, each with 512K ram, 80gb HD's, 64 mb video, cdroms,
etc, no burners. Windows XP Pro AE, MS Office Pro AE, 17" LCD
monitors. He mentioned 1Gbt NICs. He also wants to dump DSL for a T1
for full campus use ($$$$$$). There are other items, but are ancillary
and don't pertain to my questions. The lab will add 6 pc's to get to
30.

I gave him a wish list last month for things that need to be done, and
this is part of it. However, I have some issues with what he wants to
do.

1. New machines are fine, I wanted new ones and move the old ones to
the classrooms for the teachers. Teachers currently are using IBM
P233's with win 95/98

2. Includes monies for a hardware-based content filtering system.
Sorley needed as we had problems with certain students and porn.
Software solutions are a pain in the ass.

3. Wants a hardware-based anti-virus system. We invested $800 last yr
for Norton AV Corporate for 50 users, works fine, no need to change
IMOP.

4. I want another server so I can seperate the lab from the campus
domain. Instead of having 30 machines running individual versions of
XP, I would like to use Windows terminal services.

5. The Cat5 from the lab to the wiring closet is 10 yrs old and runs
under the floor. I have been having issues with cables failing the
past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.

6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
do one before.

I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

Thanks for help.

Yummy

Yummy

I forgot to mention this. The whole school only has 250 students and
the lab is used by all grades.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 07:11:30 GMT, Yummy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I support a computer lab for a K-12 private school. They recently
>received a sizeable monetary donation for IT upgrades, mainly
>pertaining to the lab. The lab currently has a mix of 24 IBM and Dell
>PC's, none of which are faster than a 600 mhz Celeron. The OS's are
>Windows ME on the Dells and W2K on the IBM's. The lab is on the same
>campus network domain as the admin and teachers. Internet access is
>SDSL and runs through a netopia router (new) and a 24 and 12 port
>10/100 Zyxel switch, also new.
>
>The principal wants to replace all lab pc's with P4 systems in the 2.8
>to 3.0 ghz range, each with 512K ram, 80gb HD's, 64 mb video, cdroms,
>etc, no burners. Windows XP Pro AE, MS Office Pro AE, 17" LCD
>monitors. He mentioned 1Gbt NICs. He also wants to dump DSL for a T1
>for full campus use ($$$$$$). There are other items, but are ancillary
>and don't pertain to my questions. The lab will add 6 pc's to get to
>30.
>
>I gave him a wish list last month for things that need to be done, and
>this is part of it. However, I have some issues with what he wants to
>do.
>
>1. New machines are fine, I wanted new ones and move the old ones to
>the classrooms for the teachers. Teachers currently are using IBM
>P233's with win 95/98
>
>2. Includes monies for a hardware-based content filtering system.
>Sorley needed as we had problems with certain students and porn.
>Software solutions are a pain in the ass.
>
>3. Wants a hardware-based anti-virus system. We invested $800 last yr
>for Norton AV Corporate for 50 users, works fine, no need to change
>IMOP.
>
>4. I want another server so I can seperate the lab from the campus
>domain. Instead of having 30 machines running individual versions of
>XP, I would like to use Windows terminal services.
>
>5. The Cat5 from the lab to the wiring closet is 10 yrs old and runs
>under the floor. I have been having issues with cables failing the
>past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
>thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
>video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
>
>6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
>getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
>times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
>distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
>know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
>do one before.
>
>I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
>would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
>college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
>Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.
>
>Thanks for help.
>
>Yummy

James

Ok, Heres my question, if Your going to be running terminal services, why do
you need brand new pentium computers?? Terminal services just connect to a
server and run everything off of the server, so its only as fast as your
server, doesn't matter if the client is running windows xp or windows 95.
If thats what you want to do, you could save yourself a whole wack of money
and simply use thin clients. We have 4 servers, with about 100 users
connecting to them, through terminal services, just using wyse thinclients.
Of course the main advantages of this are, you can set restrictions on the
servers, so the students can't do anything other then what you let them do.
You can also view sessions remotely to make sure the students are using the
computers productivly. Thin cleints cost us $390 Canadian each, so probably
under $250US or so.
If you have a problem with porn, maybe get some sort of program like ISA
server. It will let you monitor the students browsing activity, create
basic reports, and ban any site you want. ISA also allows for easy setup of
VPN incase any teachers need to connect from home.

Good luck with it.

"Yummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> >past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
> >thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
> >video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
> >
> >6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
> >getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
> >times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
> >distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
> >know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
> >do one before.
> >
> >I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
> >would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
> >college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
> >Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

AG

> [...]
> past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
> thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
> video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
>
> 6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
> getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
> times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
> distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
> know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
> do one before.
>
> I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
> would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
> college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
> Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

I've never used a HW based solution for AV but you'll still need antivirus
companies. Look at this review:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hard...0272398,00.htm

As far as setting up a T1 the Telco or other provider should supply and set
up the router for you. If they do it right you might not even have to
change the gateway settings for you network. Since the Jr. college people
are having bandwidth problems I'd hit them up to pay for part of the monthly
cost. It's going to be pretty high.
I've never used fiber at all. I know some guys that string it and they say
it's reliable. Wireless is nice but you ARE going to have problems with
hackers trying to "share" your bandwidth with a wireless network. Also
inside a building you are going to always have problems with that one room
that you just can't get a signal to. Cables are more reliable.
Since I work for an ISP that's about as much advice as I can give.
AG

Mark

I'm with James....I have setup several training labs in my work and using
Thin Clients is by far the easiest and less expensive....all you have to do
is maintain the server..ie: Antivirus and applications.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
> [...]

> > >past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
> > >thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
> > >video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
> > >
> > >6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
> > >getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
> > >times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
> > >distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
> > >know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
> > >do one before.
> > >
> > >I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
> > >would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
> > >college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
> > >Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

MF

Interesting project. A few thoughts:

T-1 - If the school can afford it, get it. 400 Mbs (at peak) isn't very
fast for more than for more than a few concurrent users. Other options:
Cable? Does your DSL provider offer a faster option? Will your connection
support it? If not, get the T-1 and make the principal happy. As someone
pointed out, the provider will set it up, and it will give you a chance to
become aquainted with CSU-DSUs. A thrill not to be missed.

Agree on your A-V. Remind the principal, if it's working, don't fix it.

Gigabit Ethernet - go for it. It will run on Cat-6 copper (wireless is
slow) and if the principal's willing to pay for recabling, it's a done deal.
10-100-1000 nic's are not that expensive and will allow you to put off
upgrading the switches, if necessary. Wireless eliminates the wires - a
plus. And invites every kid with a wireless laptop to become a junior
hacker. Not a plus. Discipline problems can be more difficult to deal with
than cabling problems.

One thought on wireles. Since it is now "something to learn" maybe a cheap
little server with a not too powerful access point that allows a few, short
range connections at a time - on a separate, isolated network - a wireless
test lab within the lab.

Terminal server obviously has big plusses. Two questions occur - one, how
many concurrent users will you have and what apps will they be running,
thus, what kind of server hardware do you need to support them?
Two, is the tightly controlled environment with dumb terminals appropriate
for the kind of learning the lab is intended for?

On different domains for students and teachers: obviously a good idea.

And for the PCs, check how much it would cost to upgrade the video to 128
MB.

Oh, and for PCs rather than thin clients, check out the re-imaging (at
re-boot or log off) software packages. People who handle networks for
libraries often use them and I've heard good things about them. When the
student logs off, the partition is wiped and re imaged, solving
configuration problems they may have introduced. A couple guys have told me
the packages work well, but I can't remember the specific products they
liked....

It sounds like fun.

Mike

> [...]
> past 2 years, he wants to recable the lab with Cat6 or fiber. I'm
> thinking wireless, but he wants a gigabit network, mainly for online
> video learning, speed, etc. I don't want the fiber headache.
>
> 6. I think a T1 is a waste of money, especially since the DSL we are
> getting is reliable and fast, downloads are usually at 400mbs at peak
> times. NOTE: A local junior college uses the lab 3 nights a week for
> distance learning. They have complained about bandwith. I also don't
> know much about setting up a network using a T1 link. I haven't had to
> do one before.
>
> I know this is a lot, but if any of you guys support a K-12 school, I
> would like to hear your suggestions. The principal wants to create a
> college-level lab. Also, Linux is not an option. Too many
> Windows-based 3rd party apps, ie educational games, MS apps, etc.

Yummy

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I met with the principal again
today and narrowed down what he wants done.

***Our current SDSL is static, SBC sold us 4 IP's. We are only using 1
of them. I had nothing to do with that.***

1. T1 is mandatory. Has something to do with a donation. Either get a
T1 or no donation. I was told about the e-rate fed program, should
help defer the costs. SBC is the provider. I guess I'll buy back the
new netopia router, I can always resell it.

2. I was hoping that I would get to build white-box systems for this,
but he is insisting on Dell. I hate Dell, I'm going to try to stear
him to IBM if he won't buy from me. And I'm giving him a good deal on
30 pc's and 30 LCD's. I don't build servers, I use IBM's.

3. The plan now is to finish the project this summer, then after the
2004-05 school yr., create another 30 pc lab for the high school. 60+
pc's for 2 labs, He does not want terminal services. He used it at his
old school and hated it, that was with NT4. I hope I can change his
mind. Thin clients would be nice. Hell, I would love to have the whole
campus on TS, but I'm dreaming.

4. The old lab pc's are going to the classrooms for teacher use. Once
I get rid of ME and install W2K Pro on them and boost the ram to 512
that will speed them up. Also, the admins are getting new PC's, they
really need them.

5. Brand new lab furniture from HON. $$$$, but sorely needed.

6. Got him away from changing AV platforms, but talked him into a
content-filtering/firewall appliance. I have Net Nanny on the library
PC's, it works great but its a PITA to install and make changes to,
plus its a resource hog. Currently Norton IS is on the lab pc's, what
a piece of sh*t that is.

7. Decided against wireless, too many cinder block walls to block
signals. I did a site survey with 3com equip., too many lost or week
signals. Since the comp lab room is being remodled and reconfigured
(the pc's will face a different wall), the room will have to be
recabled anyway. Cat6 and new electricals for the room.

8. The lab already has a LCD projector, it will be ceiling mounted and
connected to the teachers podium (pc) in the front of the classroom.
Now it sits on top of a dell pc. Arrgh.

9. I have heard of the software that re-images machines on boot. Its a
great idea if it isn't a hassle and too expensive.

10. Not pertaining to the lab, but he wants a server-based grade book
system that has online functionality, ie so parents can check grades
and dicipline records. Earthlink hosts our site now, I guess I have to
consider hosting our own site. I'm not fond of that idea.

11. He now wants to be able to connect the Parish's rectory to the
school network so they can share the T1. The rectory is about 60 yds.
from the campus with a clean line of sight, so a wireless point to
point bridge can be used. Fiber is an option, as I already have fiber
that runs between all school buildings, but I would have to have the
parking lot trenched, permits pulled, utilities located, etc. Using
fiber for that would probably cost 10K.

The library has a Follett catalog system on its own server, no need to
touch it. We dumped Accelerated Reader last yr for Scholastic Reader,
also runs off the librarie's server.

He wants all of this done BEFORE August so the system can get its
kinks out before school starts. I'm going to have to rely on subs
because I don't have much time as it is, especially since my time for
the school is pro bono and my paying clients are a priority. But no
more pro bono after this yr., the principal agreed to a maint.
contract that I will get at least 400.00 per month for 8 hrs per
month.

Note: I also have to move the lab to another classroom for temp
because of summer school so the current lab can be gutted out. 24
cables each of 40 ft length to run as a bundle down the hall. Great.

Whew.

Yummy