Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Forget

Forget

Stephen OnlineŠ

With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade install'
i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98. Since
the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would often
solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.

Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer even
permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.

--
Stephen OnlineŠ

Techie

if by bugged version you mean no longer functioning then yes you can still
install XP on top of itself but its not advised. Do a data backup and do a
fresh install because in the end installing XP on top of itself will amount
to the same thing. The fresh install will prevent any lingering issues from
a older install from corrupting the new.

--
Techie
MCNGP #21
"Stephen OnlineŠ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9LOrc.2832$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com...
> With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade

install'
> i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98.

Since
> the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would often
> solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.
>
> Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer

even
> permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.
>
> --
> Stephen OnlineŠ

PlazticSoul

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UrPrc.99422$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> if by bugged version you mean no longer functioning then yes you can still
> install XP on top of itself but its not advised. Do a data backup and do a
> fresh install because in the end installing XP on top of itself will

amount
> to the same thing. The fresh install will prevent any lingering issues

from
> a older install from corrupting the new.
>
> --
> Techie
> MCNGP #21
> "Stephen OnlineŠ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9LOrc.2832$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com...
> > With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade

> install'
> > i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98.

> Since
> > the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would

often
> > solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.
> >
> > Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer

> even
> > permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen OnlineŠ

Sure it's not advised but I've done it a few times without any problems. Of
course I had to point to all the existing programs again because they
disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list in CP, from the start menu and
shortcut icons on the desktop. Other than that, it was fine and got rid of
my problems. For future reference though, you should probably make 2 or 3
partitions so you can keep your OS and apps seperate from your media and
personal files.

James

Or instead of doing that way, you can just do a repair, don't go into the
repair console, but act like your going to install windows again, and it
will detect the previous install and ask if you want to repair it, or just
do a clean install, choose the repair, and all your add/remove programs etc
will remain.

"PlazticSoul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UrPrc.99422$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > if by bugged version you mean no longer functioning then yes you can

still
> > install XP on top of itself but its not advised. Do a data backup and do

> > fresh install because in the end installing XP on top of itself will

> amount
> > to the same thing. The fresh install will prevent any lingering issues

> from
> > a older install from corrupting the new.
> >
> > --
> > Techie
> > MCNGP #21
> > "Stephen OnlineŠ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:9LOrc.2832$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com...
> > > With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade

> > install'
> > > i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98.

> > Since
> > > the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would

> often
> > > solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.
> > >
> > > Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer

> > even
> > > permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Stephen OnlineŠ
> > >

> Sure it's not advised but I've done it a few times without any problems.

Of
> course I had to point to all the existing programs again because they
> disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list in CP, from the start menu

and
> shortcut icons on the desktop. Other than that, it was fine and got rid of
> my problems. For future reference though, you should probably make 2 or 3
> partitions so you can keep your OS and apps seperate from your media and
> personal files.

PlazticSoul

> Or instead of doing that way, you can just do a repair, don't go into the
> repair console, but act like your going to install windows again, and it
> will detect the previous install and ask if you want to repair it, or just
> do a clean install, choose the repair, and all your add/remove programs
> etc
> will remain.

Interesting. I was aware of that option but am embarrassed to admit I never
tried it, simply because I don't always trust Windows' ability to repair
itself. LOL

Lest We Forget - ANZAC Day Wayne MCSE 1 04-24-2006 07:33 PM
Asynchronous Fire-And-Forget Call Stephen Barrett ASP .Net 5 04-13-2006 01:11 PM
I forget: what is the rule for method overriding? puzzlecracker Java 4 01-18-2006 04:15 PM
Don't Forget Jtyc MCSE 0 08-13-2003 08:37 PM
Re: Make text boxes "forget" values Emil Kvarnhammar ASP .Net 0 07-16-2003 07:53 AM

Advertisments