Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > DoD model Vs OSI

DoD model Vs OSI

J. Q. Etuo, MSCE 2003, A+ 2003

[I asked this in alt...cisco, but there were no takers.
Perhaps some of you Network+ folks have
seen something on this]
I've checked several sources, and I've seen the DoD/TCPIP
model's Layer 3 equivalent written
as "Internet" and "Internetwork."
In the class lab book I've found it both ways.
Which is it, or does it make any difference?

While I'm on the subject, is it always safe to
treat the "DoD Model" as synonymous
with "TCP/IP."

One other discrepancy, the Layer 4 equivalent is
"Host to Host" apparently, but I have seen it listed
in diagrams as "Transport" just like OSI's terminology.

Thanks for your time.

Chris E

According to different Cisco study materials, the proper name can be either
Internet or Internetwork layer. I've never heard the Transport layer be
called the Host to Host Layer. The DoD model can be loosely mapped to the
OSI model:

Physical and Data Link to Network Access

Network to Internet

Transport and Session to Transport

Presentation and Applicaton to Application

And, yes, Cisco seems to treat the DoD model as synonomous to TCP/IP.

Chris
A+, Net+ (CCNA coming soon)

news:25d16$40abb4b1$4589acf7$13679@allthenewsgroup s.com...