Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > question need explanation for

question need explanation for

Fred Mathering

a.. Which Windows 9x file should be kept at a minimum size of 1KB?

1.. MSDOS.SYS
2.. X USER.DATABASE
3.. ? CONFIG.SYS
4.. ? AUTEXEC.BAT

I don't understand this question, the answer is A, why?

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 15 May 2004 04:29:03 GMT, "Fred Mathering"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>a.. Which Windows 9x file should be kept at a minimum size of 1KB?
>
> 1.. MSDOS.SYS
> 2.. X USER.DATABASE
> 3.. ? CONFIG.SYS
> 4.. ? AUTEXEC.BAT
>

>I don't understand this question, the answer is A, why?

I don't remember the full answer, but it's a requirement of MS, I
think, and the file won't work reliably, at least, if the minimum size
isn't observed. Sorry I don't remember the rationale.

Tom

Fred Mathering

Thanks all!!

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHppc.1307$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Microsoft states that there are some programs that expect this to be at
> least 1024KB or they will not run. Most notably were anti-virus programs
> that figured if smaller, it must be a virus. Why was this ever set this
> way? No idea. MSKB link with the above data.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;118579
>
> "Fred Mathering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > a.. Which Windows 9x file should be kept at a minimum size of 1KB?
> >
> > 1.. MSDOS.SYS
> > 2.. X USER.DATABASE
> > 3.. ? CONFIG.SYS
> > 4.. ? AUTEXEC.BAT
> >

> > I don't understand this question, the answer is A, why?

MadDogH

To answer the question "Why was this ever set this way?" you have to take
the WayBack Machine to a time prior to Windows 9x.

In DOS, MSDOS.SYS was not just a text file - it was OS code, the same as
IO.SYS. The MSDOS.SYS file was probably >1KB (I can't remember for sure,
since it has been a while since I worked on a true DOS machine).

When 9x came out, much of the original functions of MSDOS.SYS were rolled
into IO.SYS. MS probably could have done away with MSDOS.SYS, except that
there was a huge installed base of prog's that expected to see the file on
the boot drive. Removing the file would have obsoleted those prog's. MS
knew that would be enough to prevent many users from upgrading - so they
left the file in for compatibility and changed its function from OS code to
a "config" file.