Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Need help with another a+ test question

Need help with another a+ test question

bobG

Gordon Findlay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> that

> XP

> book,

> >> My XP machine, which I installed XP using clean install, has Windows as the
> >> default System folder.

> >From Michael Meyers' All-in-One 5th edition,p.628: "On a clean
> >installation, Setup creates a folder named Windows in C:\ into which
> >it installs the OS, creating appropriate subfolders below this
> >folder."

> He should have added:
>
> - UNLESS it is manually changed, or an installation is over an
> earlier OS, in which cae it may be WINNT (or could equally be anything
> else you like).
>
> The defaults are:
>
> Windows 95, 98, XP: C;\windows
> Windows NT, 2000 C:\winnt
>
> I can't remember Windows Me, and I frankly don't care. I know that it
> is still in the A+ objectives, but that's scandalous!
>
> Gordon

For those who might want to know, ME is installed by default to C:\Windows.

bobG

(E-Mail Removed) (Charlie) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> "Bernie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Bernie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
> > > Selftestsoftware.com.
> > >
> > > Question is:
> > >
> > > What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
> > > system?
> > >
> > > There answer is "Windows"
> > >
> > > My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.
> > >
> > > Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in

> both
> > > are "WINNT"
> > >
> > > I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this

> is
> > > the way they came.
> > >
> > > Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
> > > default system folder.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help
> > >
> > > Bernie

> > Follow up
> >
> > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me that
> > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
> >
> > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows XP
> > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
> > changed from there default name of Windows.
> >
> > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS book,
> > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
> >
> > I will keep searching.
> >
> > Bernie Eshleman
> >

> I just recently did a clean install of Windows XP, and I have
> c:\WINDOWS. It's very possible that Gateway had a custome OEM version
> of Windows that they use to do installs on their machine which
> utilizes the c:\WINNT.
>
> I'm pretty sure that W2K still used WINNT, so maybe they just carried
> it over from 2K for some reason.

Win2k does, as it's default in a clean retail install,which I have
recently performed, use C:\WINNT. I also recently installed it over
Win98, and so it's default location in that instance is C:\WINDOWS,
where Win98 used to reside.