Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Net+ - should I start studying or wait?

Net+ - should I start studying or wait?

Patrick Michael

A while back, I read that CompTIA was in the process of updating their Net+
tests. What is the latest news on this? I don't want to go out and buy an
outdated book and then be forced to take a test that covers stuff I am not
farmillar with.

I just got my A+ certificaton in March, so I'd like to get my Net+ as soon
as possible. I imagine it wouldn't take me any longer than a month or two
to fully study the material and get ready for the test, as I do have some
experience with networking. Should I go out and buy the book, or should I
wait until CompTIA announces the revised tests? Keep in mind that I'd
probably be taking this test no later than June or July. Thanks!

John P. Dearing

Patrick Michael wrote:
> A while back, I read that CompTIA was in the process of updating their Net+
> tests. What is the latest news on this? I don't want to go out and buy an
> outdated book and then be forced to take a test that covers stuff I am not
> farmillar with.

They've only just completed the "Critical Incident Study" (whatever that
is) and have yet to formally announce *new* testing guidelines.

Since it took 6+ months for A+ to go through its update process, it
probably isn't unreasonable to infer that Network+ should proceed at
about the same pace.

Since you're looking to sit the exam in June/July I'd say you're safe in
using CURRENT study guides, etc... to prepare for the exam.

My current favorite is the Sybex Network+ Syudy Guide by David Groth.
Make sure you get a current version of the book.

The Exam Essentials by Tcat Houser is also an excellent text as well.

John
--
John P. Dearing
A+, Network+

Patrick Michael

"John P. Dearing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g_Anc.22602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patrick Michael wrote:
> > A while back, I read that CompTIA was in the process of updating their

Net+
> > tests. What is the latest news on this? I don't want to go out and buy

an
> > outdated book and then be forced to take a test that covers stuff I am

not
> > farmillar with.

> They've only just completed the "Critical Incident Study" (whatever that
> is) and have yet to formally announce *new* testing guidelines.
>
> Since it took 6+ months for A+ to go through its update process, it
> probably isn't unreasonable to infer that Network+ should proceed at
> about the same pace.
>
> Since you're looking to sit the exam in June/July I'd say you're safe in
> using CURRENT study guides, etc... to prepare for the exam.
>
> My current favorite is the Sybex Network+ Syudy Guide by David Groth.
> Make sure you get a current version of the book.
>
> The Exam Essentials by Tcat Houser is also an excellent text as well.

Thanks John. I picked up the msot recent edition of Sybex's study guide
today. Net+ looks a lot easier than A+.

Techie

until you write it

--
Techie
MCNGP #21
"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "John P. Dearing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g_Anc.22602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Patrick Michael wrote:
> > > A while back, I read that CompTIA was in the process of updating their

> Net+
> > > tests. What is the latest news on this? I don't want to go out and

buy
> an
> > > outdated book and then be forced to take a test that covers stuff I am

> not
> > > farmillar with.

> > They've only just completed the "Critical Incident Study" (whatever that
> > is) and have yet to formally announce *new* testing guidelines.
> >
> > Since it took 6+ months for A+ to go through its update process, it
> > probably isn't unreasonable to infer that Network+ should proceed at
> > about the same pace.
> >
> > Since you're looking to sit the exam in June/July I'd say you're safe in
> > using CURRENT study guides, etc... to prepare for the exam.
> >
> > My current favorite is the Sybex Network+ Syudy Guide by David Groth.
> > Make sure you get a current version of the book.
> >
> > The Exam Essentials by Tcat Houser is also an excellent text as well.
> >

> Thanks John. I picked up the msot recent edition of Sybex's study guide
> today. Net+ looks a lot easier than A+.

Patrick Michael

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshCnc.3462$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> until you write it

Perhaps, but based on the practice exams I've looked at, I don't think this
should take any more than a week or two to prepare for. It took me damn
near 3 months to get ready for A+. Of course, I have a lot more experience
with networking then I did with buliding computers.

Techie

good luck I wrote it hung over and still passed but I have 10 years
experience in networks

--
newsxCnc.23295$5a.15008@okepread03...