Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Please help! System really slowing down

Please help! System really slowing down

Logo

So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.

Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.

It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.

I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
folders and Internet files folder.

Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card. Also
has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.

I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!

Any suggestions? TIA

Logo

David Hough

I got bit by that sasser worm, and had to clean up my pc. Are you using
up to date virus definitions? Using a good mouse? Try turning off the
Norton antivirus

Patrick Michael

"Logo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94E38779A1DA4WontCheckHereCom@204.127.199. 17...
> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
>
> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
> control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
> back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.
>
> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.
>
> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
> folders and Internet files folder.
>
> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
> 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card.

Also
> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
> I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
> a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
>
> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
> worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
>
> Any suggestions? TIA

First thing I'd try is booting in safe mode and playing around. If the
system is fine, then you know the problem is with some program/driver/TSR
that gets loaded at startup. If it's still sluggish, it's likely a hardware
issue. I realize I'm stating the obvious here, but I can't think of much
else. Hope this helps somewhat. :\

Logo

David Hough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:t92dnerKWO1EqQDdRVn-

> I got bit by that sasser worm, and had to clean up my pc. Are you using
> up to date virus definitions? Using a good mouse? Try turning off the
> Norton antivirus

I've been having problems way b4 sasser was born, and MS' site only
lists XP and 2000 as sasser sufferers, nothing about 98. I've updated
anti-virus and windows, but a friend mentioned I should update adaware
although I couldn't find an option to do that anywhere.

My mouse is clean, other than that do they go bad? I guess we all
get old someday huh?

Norton has been my buddy since day one, can't see how that could
be the problem. Actually I've only received a message from Norton
AV (other than updating) less than a handful of times my whole life.

Logo

"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "Logo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns94E38779A1DA4WontCheckHereCom@204.127.199. 17...
>> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
>>
>> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
>> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
>> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my
>> normal control back or if its still busy it gives me only very
>> sporadic control back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the
>> screen.
>>
>> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
>> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as
>> well.
>>
>> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my
>> temp folders and Internet files folder.
>>
>> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
>> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
>> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with
>> about 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound
>> card.

> Also
>> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo
>> and I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried
>> going with a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
>>
>> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse
>> and worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
>>
>> Any suggestions? TIA
>>

> First thing I'd try is booting in safe mode and playing around. If
> the system is fine, then you know the problem is with some
> program/driver/TSR that gets loaded at startup. If it's still
> sluggish, it's likely a hardware issue. I realize I'm stating the
> obvious here, but I can't think of much else. Hope this helps
> somewhat. :\

That's the way I've been leaning, but since the remedy there usually
involves $$$, I was hoping it could be saved. Previous system was a
Cyrix 200+, so when I doubled to a 450 I felt like I was at Indianapolis!
Been having dreams about 2.5's lately though....

Logo

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:OXgnc.12853$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> "Logo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns94E38779A1DA4WontCheckHereCom@204.127.199. 17...
>> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
>>
>> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
>> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
>> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my
>> normal control back or if its still busy it gives me only very
>> sporadic control back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the
>> screen.
>>
>> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
>> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as
>> well.
>>
>> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my
>> temp folders and Internet files folder.
>>
>> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
>> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
>> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with
>> about 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound
>> card.

> Also
>> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo
>> and I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried
>> going with a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
>>
>> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse
>> and worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
>>
>> Any suggestions? TIA
>>
>> Logo

> Device Manager, left click each item listed and see if there are any
> yellow exclamation or question marks posted. If so, then remove the
> items, reboot, let Windows attempt to install the drivers and see if
> that improves anything. The other possibility is that two or more of
> those devices have IRQ conflicts. You will note this if you then
> return to the Device Manager, left click "computer"(the top item
> listed)and then click Properties. When the new window appears, put a
> dot in the IRQ selection and see if there are two items occupying the
> same IRQ #. However, if you have an IRQ steering posted among other
> devices for the same #, that's OK.

Problems in Device Manager? Moi? How dare you! LOL

Thanks for all suggestions guys. Guess I'm going with the hardware
showing its age and just deal with it a little longer till the plastic
gets more manageable. Gone from paying on 5 credit cards to only 3 now,
so at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now...

RussS

Try going into properties of My Computer and check "Perfromance" - make sure
nothing is running in Protected Mode ... If there is that will make
something that is kinda slow anyways run like a proverbial slug.

AG

"Logo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94E38779A1DA4WontCheckHereCom@204.127.199. 17...
> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
>
> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
> control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
> back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.
>
> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.
>
> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
> folders and Internet files folder.
>
> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
> 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card.

Also
> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
> I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
> a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
>
> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
> worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
>
> Any suggestions? TIA
>
> Logo

Just a suggestion. Some systems about the age of yours had trouble with too
much RAM. I know that sounds crazy but you might try dropping the RAM back
below 96 megs. A BIOS update might take care of it IF you can find one for
a board that old.
Said in a creaky old voice "I remember when we had servers that were running
on a 400 Mhz Pentium II."
Good luck.
AG

MF

I think the tip about Norton updates is a good one - it's happened to me,
after months and months of good performance.

Try another av program. Every one I've had, McAffee, Computer Associates,
and Norton, has occasionally missed a virus (often older viruses, not a
question of updating) with the exception of AVG - but I haven't AVG very
long. One of them (McAffee) missed LaRue, whose specific function is to
make the computer run progressively slower.

Also, this is probably unlikely, but did you inadvertently turn on one of
Microsoft's indexing programs? They will bog down older computers.

good luck

mike

"Logo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94E38779A1DA4WontCheckHereCom@204.127.199. 17...
> So much for windows being a multi-tasking system.
>
> Whenever I load a program or open a file, my cursor will freeze for
> a couple of seconds while my computer is "busy". Depending on what
> I've asked my computer to do, it will then either let me have my normal
> control back or if its still busy it gives me only very sporadic control
> back and hesitates as I'm trying to move about the screen.
>
> It will do this both after a fresh boot and when the computer hasn't
> been re-booted for a while. Also does it when downloading files as well.
>
> I've defragmented, scanned for viruses and spyware and emptied my temp
> folders and Internet files folder.
>
> Running Win98SE, had 192MB of ram and just added 128 more but no
> improvement. The only things open at startup are Norton anti-virus,
> ZoneAlarm, systray, and explorer. Its an AMD 450Mhz, 20 GB Hd with about
> 5GB free, Voodoo3 video card with 16MB memory and onboard sound card.

Also
> has onboard 3d Now! video but doesn't work any better than the voodoo and
> I think the voodoo puts out a better quality screen. Also tried going with
> a PCI sound card but it didn't change anything.
>
> I've never had this problem before and it gradually has gotten worse and
> worse to the point where it just irritates the crap out of me!
>
> Any suggestions? TIA
>
> Logo

Logo

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You mentioned Adaware, it does have to be updated, the update link is
> on the initial screen when the program first launches. "Check For
> Updates" its called. Also Adaware alone is not enough to clean out
> spyware and such, try Spybot Search & Destroy as well.
>
> Norton can be the cause of the slowdown, make sure its up to date and
> in fact it could very well have been fine, then an up date caused the
> slowdown! The most recent involves the Microsoft Office plug-in. You
> didn't mention which version of Norton you're running, but if 2003 ,
> launch the Norton Window, click Options, go to Misc, remove the check
> mark for the Office Plugin.
>
> Did the problem go away in safe mode? If so the next step is msconfig
> troubleshooting. Start by running msconfig, choose selective startup
> and uncheck all the options, reboot and see if the problem goes away,
> if the problem goes away, add check marks one at a time till the
> problem returns, and you'll have identified where you need to look.
> Then click the appropriate tab in msconfig and start adding check
> marks on the individual items until you can identofy the specific item
> causing the problem.

Device Manager is spotless, no blanks or double entrees or anything. Norton
2003? LOL Remember I'm running a dinosaur here, its version 5.01.03, from
1998. So no need to worry about the Office plugin, the option to choose
isn't available for plugins. Adaware aint no spring chicken either, running
version 5.83. That version doesn't have an update option. So am going to
let SpybotS&D onboard to see if it will detect anything.

There's not a whole lot of programs running at startup either, but will run
through msconfig one more time anyways.

Thanks for the help/suggestions all!

Logo