Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > An answer I don't agree with

An answer I don't agree with

lawilson

I hope someone can help me out. I'm studying the Mike Meyers A+ Passport
book (love it), and in Chapter 3 under Motherboards. Here is the question
and choices:

2. Which of the following motherboards are you most likely to see in modern
PC's (select all that apply.)
A. AT
B. ATX
C. Baby AT
D. All of the above

Basing my answer on the word "modern," I chose B by itself. The correct
answer was B,C: Baby AT and ATX motherboards are still used in PC's today.
The full AT motherboard has become obsolete.

Now, I recognize that AT's still exist, and I don't question that. But
hardly any "modern" manufacturers make the board, and in "modern" PC's that
keep up with technology, ATX is the form factor used. I guess I just need
clarification on the wording here. I don't have a problem being wrong, but
I'd like to know the correct answer in case this comes up on the actual
test. Thanks.

lawilson

sAxmAn

Well, basically you're right AT is history (as will be ATX soon). It's just
that that the older full AT was 12 inches wide and would not fit into the
newer mini tower cases. Hence the baby AT and that's why there are still
more of them around. The full AT boards were 386 or earlier - prehistoric.
See http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/mobo/formAT-c.html

But I agree, it's not a 'modern' form factor. This is typical of many
questions in the actual A+ - far from clear cut.

"lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kWCic.11739$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I hope someone can help me out. I'm studying the Mike Meyers A+ Passport
> book (love it), and in Chapter 3 under Motherboards. Here is the question
> and choices:
>
> 2. Which of the following motherboards are you most likely to see in

modern
> PC's (select all that apply.)
> A. AT
> B. ATX
> C. Baby AT
> D. All of the above
>
> Basing my answer on the word "modern," I chose B by itself. The correct
> answer was B,C: Baby AT and ATX motherboards are still used in PC's

today.
> The full AT motherboard has become obsolete.
>
> Now, I recognize that AT's still exist, and I don't question that. But
> hardly any "modern" manufacturers make the board, and in "modern" PC's

that
> keep up with technology, ATX is the form factor used. I guess I just need
> clarification on the wording here. I don't have a problem being wrong,

but
> I'd like to know the correct answer in case this comes up on the actual
> test. Thanks.
>
> lawilson

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:37:23 -0500, El_carteliano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!
>i read the same book for my a+ exam and i saw the same question but i
>just continued with the test of the book but i knew it was a mistake,
>anyway there are others little mistakes if you see the a+ by mike
>meyers fifth edition(the big one) there is another big mistake, on
>page 20 it says : two nearly identical intel Pentium4 cpus (photo)-and
>the photo belonged to two almost identical AMD processors, bahh, just
>silly mistake because the books are so awesome and realistic towards
>the real exam.

Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
make an adjustment?

One has to realize...if the question was asked in these terms, what
dinosaurs were popular 175 million years ago?, including Triceratops
and Allosaurus, we'd realize that there are millions of years in the
difference. The overlap now is only months to years, and I am sure
there are still many Baby AT boards out there. The numbers would be
dwindling by now, but they are still out there.

Tom

>El_carteliano
>Sign up for free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US

lawilson

Thanks for the replies. I will forward this to TotalSem, as I did another
question in that book that said Parallel connections are 36 pin. Thanks.

lawilson

"Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:kWCic.11739$(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > I hope someone can help me out. I'm studying the Mike Meyers A+
> > Passport book (love it), and in Chapter 3 under Motherboards.
> > Here is the question and choices:
> >
> > 2. Which of the following motherboards are you most likely to see
> > in modern PC's (select all that apply.)
> > A. AT
> > B. ATX
> > C. Baby AT
> > D. All of the above
> >
> > Basing my answer on the word "modern," I chose B by itself. The
> > correct answer was B,C: Baby AT and ATX motherboards are still
> > used in PC's today. The full AT motherboard has become obsolete.

> Yeah, I would have to agree with you here. The last time I saw a Baby
> AT motherboard was in my 486 computer (1994) and I wouldn't call that a
> modern PC. Most Pentinum machines and beyond either used LPX/NLX or
> straight up ATX. I just looked at an archive of practice questions for
> A+ and AT, ATX and Baby AT are still referenced, so you still need to
> know about them and what their form factors look like.
>
> I do believe, however, in the past that anything that was XT was
> considered legacy and anything AT and beyond was considered "modern",
> but AT/Baby AT itself is so long in the tooth these days that I would
> feel safe in calling it legacy hardware.
>
> HTH,
> Adam

lawilson

> Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
> make an adjustment?

I am submitting it. I just found their errata sheet on the website on this
book, but it doesn't have this on it, so I don't know if they consider it an
error or not. Thanks for the tip.

lawilson

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:37:23 -0500, El_carteliano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!
> >i read the same book for my a+ exam and i saw the same question but i
> >just continued with the test of the book but i knew it was a mistake,
> >anyway there are others little mistakes if you see the a+ by mike
> >meyers fifth edition(the big one) there is another big mistake, on
> >page 20 it says : two nearly identical intel Pentium4 cpus (photo)-and
> >the photo belonged to two almost identical AMD processors, bahh, just
> >silly mistake because the books are so awesome and realistic towards
> >the real exam.
> >

> Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
> make an adjustment?
>
> One has to realize...if the question was asked in these terms, what
> dinosaurs were popular 175 million years ago?, including Triceratops
> and Allosaurus, we'd realize that there are millions of years in the
> difference. The overlap now is only months to years, and I am sure
> there are still many Baby AT boards out there. The numbers would be
> dwindling by now, but they are still out there.
>
> Tom
>

> >El_carteliano
> >Sign up for free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US

Glen

I am taking Cisco's Hardware and Software course and am reading that L2
Cache is on the Mobo. LOL I guess I'm supposed to put that as an answer if
I get asked that one. Or maybe they just take out questions that are
obviously wrong because of new technology. or maybe the most likely correct
response will be its on the Mobo and wont even mention the CPU
guess I'll find out on tuesdays quiz,

lawilson

I received this great reply from TotalSem:
Good morning, lawilson,

Clearly the question you noted didn't get updated between editions! You're
absolutely correct that you won't see new baby AT motherboards out there
anymore. You can find them, but not at most stores. You're more likely
now-a-days to see ATX, uATX, and SFF boards (with cases) than you'd see
anything smacking of AT.

We can only assume that the A+ exam was updated to take modern PCs into
account. On the real test, though, be careful of the wording of the
question. If it's generically, "what are the most common motherboards you'll
find in the field (select two)," then definitely include AT as part of your
answer!

Cheers,

TotalSem

"lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YJTic.704$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Might he have been referring to the 36 pin Centronics connection?

> No, this was a clearly wrong answer. It's on the errata page on the

Totalsem
> website.
>
> lawilson
>
> "VanillaSky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > <<Thanks for the replies. I will forward this to TotalSem, as I did

> another
> > question in that book that said Parallel connections are 36 pin.
> >
> > Might he have been referring ot the 36 pin Centronics connection?
> > "lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:_aPic.11905$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > Thanks for the replies. I will forward this to TotalSem, as I did

> another
> > > question in that book that said Parallel connections are 36 pin.

> Thanks.
> > >
> > > lawilson
> > >
> > > "Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Baby

that

for

"modern",

would

PJS

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:37:23 -0500, El_carteliano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!
> >i read the same book for my a+ exam and i saw the same question but i
> >just continued with the test of the book but i knew it was a mistake,
> >anyway there are others little mistakes if you see the a+ by mike
> >meyers fifth edition(the big one) there is another big mistake, on
> >page 20 it says : two nearly identical intel Pentium4 cpus (photo)-and
> >the photo belonged to two almost identical AMD processors, bahh, just
> >silly mistake because the books are so awesome and realistic towards
> >the real exam.
> >

> Have you submitted this information to Totalsem, so that they could
> make an adjustment?
>
> One has to realize...if the question was asked in these terms, what
> dinosaurs were popular 175 million years ago?, including Triceratops
> and Allosaurus, we'd realize that there are millions of years in the
> difference. The overlap now is only months to years, and I am sure
> there are still many Baby AT boards out there. The numbers would be
> dwindling by now, but they are still out there.
>
> Tom

Or even better. Did you check the errata page at their web site to make sure
it wasn't already listed?

I really love the fact that they do post errata for when the inevitable
error makes it into the book. Before going through their book, I printed out
the errata and updated my book.

Pete