Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Supplying Windows to Customers

Supplying Windows to Customers

techshare

Here is a tip ... do what I do and pick up a 3 pack OEM of XP Home. 261 from
my vendor (who is really just an online retailer ... nothing special). Yes,
that's 87 bucks a copy ... but unless your customers want to play with Linux
that is the best you can do.

Also, I believe the OEM licensing scheme has been relaxed so that you can
merely "sell" a piece of qualifying hardware to sell the OS. A better
question is this ... if my vendor sells me XP OEM with qualifying hardware
.... do I need to turn around and sell the same hardware or other qualifying
hardware to the customer? I wonder why... since MS has already made their
!@#$ profit. Of course this isn't an issue when selling new machines with
XP.
"sAxmAn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZMjic.59$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been in the business of building bespoke PC's for customers for a
> couple of years. Never had a serious complaint about any machine I've

built
> so far, but folks often expect me to provide a copy of Windows loaded on

the
> system. Since I don't like to deal in pirated OS's, this means I need to

get
> a fresh copy for each customer. This adds considerably to the cost of the
> PC as XPpro or 2kpro costs around 100 ($200USD) at the very cheapest for

an
> OEM copy from an online store.
>
> Customers do not understand the benefit of owning their own OS disk, and
> often complain that systems from high street shops come with an OS loaded
> (although no disk is supplied).
>
> So, my question is, how do I fix it so that I can legally load an OS onto
> the new machines I build, without supplying a fresh OS disk to each
> customer?

sAxmAn

And derided by the boorish and ignorant. I'll certainly take it from whence
it comes. I've come to expect a grunt from a pig. lol.

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "sAxmAn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Thanks for detailed reply. This has been very helpful.

> What? No ...it wasn't.
>
> >Guess I'll just
> > stay doing what I do already - buy a separate OS for each customer and

> hope
> > they can understand the benefit of owning it.

> Um...lemme see...DUH?
>

> Not only "The Blind Leading The Blind" but also the Blind being happily

led.

David Hough

On most business systems, the customer is using a vertical application
package, be it POS or accounting or some other specialty thing. Your
software vendor quite often certifies his software on a particular OS
version. I am finding a lot of stuff certified for W2K. I,ll bet
better than 50%. Linux is a good OS! But you can't run MS software on it.

supplying runtime parameter sp XML 3 01-27-2006 08:42 AM
Problem writing cookie when supplying Path property =?Utf-8?B?U3llZCBHaGF5YXM=?= ASP .Net 2 05-06-2005 03:55 PM
supplying constants in an extension module Torsten Mohr Python 1 01-17-2005 09:23 PM
Making function private/ not supplying declaration in header file Daniel Nichols C Programming 6 06-15-2004 05:03 AM
Making function private/ not supplying declaration in header file Daniel Nichols C Programming 5 06-15-2004 03:38 AM

Advertisments