Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Taking the Tests

Taking the Tests

lawilson

Hello all,

I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website. I am
currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me than
his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.

Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should I
study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!

lawilson

Graham Chapman

lawilson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website. I am
> currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me than
> his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.
>
> Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
> first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should I
> study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!
>
> lawilson

personally, as I've done more work in the past repairing/ re-installing
etc., I thought I'd tackle the hardware part, and then move onto the Op
systems later in the year ( I've got a hell of a flat to decorate...)
I'm not sure if I could take it all in, and do doth at the same time...
Graham

georgewood

If you have not taken a test like this before I would take the hardware
first. Then take a few days to prep for the O/S.

"lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L15hc.10031$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website. I

am
> currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me than
> his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.
>
> Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
> first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should I
> study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!
>
> lawilson

lawilson

Thanks for the suggestion. As for my current studying now, should I only
study for the hardware, and then go take it, or should I study for
everything, then do a prep right before the hardware test, and the same
thing for the OS?

lawilson
"georgewood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3Obhc.13452$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have not taken a test like this before I would take the hardware
> first. Then take a few days to prep for the O/S.
>

> "lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L15hc.10031$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website.

> am
> > currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me

than
> > his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.
> >
> > Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
> > first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should

> > study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!
> >
> > lawilson

Patrick Michael

"lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L15hc.10031$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website. I

am
> currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me than
> his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.
>
> Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
> first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should I
> study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!

I'd just take them both at the same time. Some of the people who decided to
take one test and than study for another are running into problems with the
2001-to-2003 changeover. Basically, if they don't pass their 2nd test by
some time in June, their first test will no longer count toward
certification.

It's not really hard to study for both of them at the same time...just takes
a little more effort. Good luck with whatever you do.

Graham Chapman

Patrick Michael wrote:
> "lawilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L15hc.10031$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I'm happy to have found this group, thanks to the Mike Meyers website. I

> am
>
>>currently studying his new passport book, which is MUCH better for me than
>>his BIG A+ book. I'm getting through it much easier.
>>
>>Here's my question, and I'm sure it's been asked here before. Should I
>>first study the hardware part, then go take the hardware test, or should I
>>study all of the material and take both at the same time? Thanks!

> I'd just take them both at the same time. Some of the people who decided to
> take one test and than study for another are running into problems with the
> 2001-to-2003 changeover. Basically, if they don't pass their 2nd test by
> some time in June, their first test will no longer count toward
> certification.
>
> It's not really hard to study for both of them at the same time...just takes
> a little more effort. Good luck with whatever you do.

I don't see anything about the new rules from Comptia?? where is it??
Graham

Patrick Michael

"Graham Chapman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40867ab2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't see anything about the new rules from Comptia?? where is it??
> Graham

http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/mixandmatch.asp

Ron Y

> "Graham Chapman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40867ab2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I don't see anything about the new rules from Comptia?? where is it??
> > Graham

> http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/mixandmatch.asp

Right here.

http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/mixandmatch.asp

CompTIA Certification Advisory

The Grace Period of A+ Mix and Match 2001 and 2003 Exams Ends June 30

Until June 30, all CompTIA A+ candidates can mix and match 2001 and
2003 exams to earn their A+ computer technician certification. After June
30, candidates must take a 2003 Core Hardware exam together with a 2003
Operating Systems exam to achieve the CompTIA A+ certification.

The option to mix and match old and new exams began on November 26,
2003 when the latest versions of the two A+ exams were released. Since A+ is
a two-exam certification, CompTIA did not want to penalize those that had
already passed one of the exams. That grace period will end, June 30, 2004.

Ending this grace period helps to ensure that those earning CompTIA A+
in 2004 and beyond have demonstrated knowledge mastery that is current and
relevant. CompTIA urges all A+ candidates who have passed a 2001 Core
Hardware or Operating Systems exam to make the most of the remaining grace
period and schedule the remaining exam as soon as possible.

Information on CompTIA Learning Alliance training and CompTIA
Authorized Quality Curriculum courseware for the 2003 A+ exams is available
on the CompTIA website. Please contact a CompTIA Customer Service
Representative or visit the A+ Objectives for additional information
concerning the 2003 exams.