Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SP2 and SP3 Questions

SP2 and SP3 Questions

Robert11

Hello,

Regarding SP 2:

Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.

PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.

Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?
Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?

Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?

How important is SP3 ?
Would hate to have PC run even slower ?

Thanks,
B.

Shawna Heath

Robert11 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gki4rp$31d$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> Regarding SP 2:
>
> Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
>
> PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
>
> Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?
> Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?
>
> Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?
>
> How important is SP3 ?
> Would hate to have PC run even slower ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Forget it until or unless you really think you need it. Go read up on it you
lazy ****ster.

chisv

Robert11 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gki4rp$31d$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,

Goodbye!

*PLONK*

Old Gringo

On Or About This Time And Date In History, Robert11 Stumbled Over To
The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
> Hello,
>
> Regarding SP 2:
>
> Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
>
> PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
>
> Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?
> Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?
>
> Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?
>
> How important is SP3 ?
> Would hate to have PC run even slower ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

After installing anything this large it might be a good idea to hold
PM on the computer to speed it back up. Do the same thing after SP3.
Good Luck

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

elaich

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:gki4rp$31d$1
@news.motzarella.org:

> PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.

It is time for you to back up your data, wipe the disk and start fresh,
including all the updates, many of which are critical. We had a similar
situation with the computer at work. The registry gets so full of crap over
the years that the only solution is to start fresh.

It was taking this computer 3 -4 minutes to boot up. Now, it takes 30
seconds.

wisdomkiller & pain

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Regarding SP 2:
>
> Never realized I hadn't downloaded it, ever, and did so.
>
> PC, about 6 years old, running XP, is noticeably slower now.
>
> Is there any reason SP2 would cause this ?

SP2 or SP3?
Anyways .... your PC has accumulated a truckload
of %windir%\$NtUninstal* entries, probably as much %windir%\temp junk
and - unless regularly (every other month or so) defragged, it will be
heavily fragmented as well.
Not to forget, 6 years is a good lifetime for a harddrive. Sometimes
(then consider yourself lucky) you may notice significant slowdown
before a drive dies, due to DMA failure. Other times it just quits
before you had chances to backup.
Not to forget possible malware infestations as a cause for the slowdown.

And no, the registry may grow and enlarge bootup time a little bit, but
it will not make the pc run noticeably slower. Do not fiddle with that
one.

> Anything to configure, perhaps, after the installation ?

If you have less than 1G of ram, add some. It is cheap these days.

> Is SP2 solely "security updates," or does it also include XP "fixes" ?

Since most security updates rely upon SP2, your PC has been almost naked
for quite a while now.

> How important is SP3 ?

Not *that* much yet, but it adds extra protection amongst bugfixes.