Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Which VAT rates apply?

Reply
Thread Tools

Which VAT rates apply?

 
 
Joel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009
From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
applies for customers in the UK?)
Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
Best wishes,
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein
Nottingham, UK
Web: http://www.feinst.demon.co.uk/joel.html
Blog: http://explainingmaths.wordpress.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
george
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009
Joel a écrit :
> From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
> appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
> this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
> applies for customers in the UK?)
> Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
> country's rate applies to customers in the UK?


A german 19% VAT rate is charged because Betamax is a german based company.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009
> You pay VAT based on the invoicing country.
> They don't "charge" in GBP those prices are for reference only. You get
> charged in Euros and the Credit Card company takes theur bit and gives
> you a charge after they have converted to ££'s


Thanks!
But is voipcheap.co.uk (as opposed to voipcheap.com) an exception to
this? I had heard that they genuinely do charge in GBP. Is there a
"Betamax UK" which would charge at UK VAT rate?
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein
Nottingham, UK
Web: http://www.feinst.demon.co.uk/joel.html
Blog: http://explainingmaths.wordpress.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009


"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You pay VAT based on the invoicing country.
> They don't "charge" in GBP those prices are for reference only. You get
> charged in Euros and the Credit Card company takes theur bit and gives
> you a charge after they have converted to ££'s


Thanks!
But is voipcheap.co.uk (as opposed to voipcheap.com) an exception to
this? I had heard that they genuinely do charge in GBP. Is there a
"Betamax UK" which would charge at UK VAT rate?
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein
Nottingham, UK
Web: http://www.feinst.demon.co.uk/joel.html
Blog: http://explainingmaths.wordpress.com/
>


I don't think the Top-Level Domain has any bearing on it.

You have to select your country when you first buy credit.

Once selected, it cannot be changed, so choose an EU
country if you want to pay 19%VAT or a non-EU if you
want to avoid (perhaps that should read evade )

Either way there is a 75c handling charge they don't
tell you about.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2009
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Joel <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
: applies for customers in the UK?)
: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
: Best wishes,
: Joel

VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
rate will apply.

Ivor

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Blunt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2009
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Joel <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
>reason:
>: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
>: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
>: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
>: applies for customers in the UK?)
>: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
>: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
>: Best wishes,
>: Joel
>
>VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
>is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
>rate will apply.


I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.

I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.

Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
andy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2009
On 14 Jan, 15:34, Chris Blunt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>
>
>
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> >Joel <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
> >reason:
> >: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
> >: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
> >: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
> >: applies for customers in the UK?)
> >: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
> >: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
> >: Best wishes,
> >: * *Joel

>
> >VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
> >is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
> >rate will apply.

>
> I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
> is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
> the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.
>
> I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
> with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
> UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
> resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.
>


then don't use a UK credit card and a UK address!


As for people buying Betamax services, I don't know the details, but
paying from a different territory than the declared account country
and/or IP address may cause problems with their anti-fraud and fair
use policies, especially if you try to pay accounts in more than one
country with the same card
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2009


"andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 14 Jan, 15:34, Chris Blunt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:45:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>
>
>
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> >Joel <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
> >reason:
> >: From their web pages, poivy.com, voipzoom.com, voipstunt.com etc.
> >: appear to charge VAT at 19%, even when charging in GBP. However, does
> >: this really apply to UK customers too? (Which country's VAT rate
> >: applies for customers in the UK?)
> >: Also, voipcheap.co.uk only show VAT exclusive rates: again, which
> >: country's rate applies to customers in the UK?
> >: Best wishes,
> >: Joel

>
> >VAT is charged at the rate applicable to the country in which the service
> >is based. So if you are using a German company's service then that VAT
> >rate will apply.

>
> I think that's correct, but only if the company providing the service
> is based in an EU country. If not, then the rate applied is that of
> the country in which the supplier believes the customer lives.
>
> I live in Asia and I often buy software online from the US. If I pay
> with a credit card with a UK billing address I get charged VAT at the
> UK rate. In fact I shouldn't be paying any VAT at all as I'm a
> resident of a country outside both the US and the EU.
>


then don't use a UK credit card and a UK address!


As for people buying Betamax services, I don't know the details, but
paying from a different territory than the declared account country
and/or IP address may cause problems with their anti-fraud and fair
use policies, especially if you try to pay accounts in more than one
country with the same card

They reject Paypal payments if you use the same account on
multiple Betamax clones, there appears no way close a Betamax account.
This caused me a problem when I wanted to migrate from voipcheap.com
to smslisto.com.
A little lateral thinking prompted me to cancel the Paypal account and
open another, linking the same card. That works fine.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VAT & import duty. Kenny Computer Support 6 09-16-2005 05:55 PM
Voipfone vat Joel UK VOIP 4 06-11-2005 11:39 AM
OT: F-secure Antivirus Software - VAT? BIGEYE Computer Support 9 12-15-2004 10:38 AM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James Microsoft Certification 1 10-26-2003 07:42 PM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James MCSE 3 10-26-2003 07:42 PM



Advertisments