Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 50mm 1.4 vs 50mm 1.8

Re: 50mm 1.4 vs 50mm 1.8

Bob Williams

measekite wrote:
> Other than some additional speed what does the faster of these lenses
> (either Canon or Nikon) give you other than 3 times the price?
>
> Is the image quality any better?
> If, so is it so substantially better as to jusify the price?

At any aperture larger than f=5.6, I don't think you will see ANY
difference. At f=1.8 you may see a slight difference.
It is a lot harder to grind a BIG piece of glass so that the resolution
is acceptable at f 1.4, than it is to grind a smaller piece of glass to
give the same resolution at f 1.8. That's what you are paying for.
I never could understand why people with DSLRs would pay such a premium
for such a slight increase in light gathering power.
After all, if you need more sensitivity most quality DSLRs will let you
shoot at ISO 1600 or more.
See what a user of a Nikon 1.4 and 1.8 has to say on the subject.
> http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YRAW0...R1YRAW0K3WMUDB

Bob Williams

David Ruether

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:JaXal.44654$(E-Mail Removed)...
> measekite wrote:
>> Other than some additional speed what does the faster of these lenses
>> (either Canon or Nikon) give you other than 3 times the price?
>>
>> Is the image quality any better?
>> If, so is it so substantially better as to jusify the price?

> At any aperture larger than f=5.6, I don't think you will see ANY difference. At f=1.8 you may see a slight difference.
> It is a lot harder to grind a BIG piece of glass so that the resolution is acceptable at f 1.4, than it is to grind a smaller
> piece of glass to give the same resolution at f 1.8. That's what you are paying for.
> I never could understand why people with DSLRs would pay such a premium for such a slight increase in light gathering power.
> After all, if you need more sensitivity most quality DSLRs will let you shoot at ISO 1600 or more.
> See what a user of a Nikon 1.4 and 1.8 has to say on the subject.
>> http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YRAW0...R1YRAW0K3WMUDB

> Bob Williams

And also read the follow-up comments! I, too, think the original
poster had a bad sample of the 50mm f1.4 Nikkor. Having had
several, it is basically sharp short the far corners (with FF) at f1.4,
but with a *slightly* reduced overall contrast. By f2, most of the
full frame is quite sharp and contrasty (and better than the f1.8
at f2, FF), short the far corners (again, for FF...), which are not
bad even wide open. LENS SAMPLES VARY! The two lenses
are close, even at the widest stops, and the f1.8 is cheaper, not
much slower, and it has essentially no linear distortion, making
the 50mm f1.8 Nikkor a bargain lens. You may find my listings
for these lenses, at www.donferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html,
interesting...
--DR