Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > check a site and advise please

check a site and advise please

richard

http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/

I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
is needed.
It's a free service provided by the government.
Both IE and FF report the same thing.

While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.

Yet I can get to this page?
<http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>

Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

Maxje

It looks as if your first link refers to an intranet site only available
from within the agency (employees)

Send an email to the agency and they will help you out.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:37:20 -0500, "Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It looks as if your first link refers to an intranet site only available
>from within the agency (employees)

So if you're getting that as well then their system is down.
That password is only needed if you have an account in order to access
your records and update data.
Otherwise the system would show a page that is a simple search page
with 3 options.

Thanks for the report. Now I know it's not my problem.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:19:55 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>
>I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.

Uhhh ok...

>Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
>is needed.

Obviously whoever hosts the site seems to think a password is needed,
and obviously, you'd obtain the password from them.

>It's a free service provided by the government.

Apparently not anymore. At least not now.

>Both IE and FF report the same thing.

That would be the case. Know HTML much?

>While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.

So obviously something changed recently..

>Yet I can get to this page?
><http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>

That means nothing. You can password protect a site, a document, a
directory, etc.

Stubbo of Oz

wrote:

>http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>
>I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
>Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
>is needed.
>It's a free service provided by the government.
>Both IE and FF report the same thing.
>
>While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.
>
>Yet I can get to this page?
><http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>
>
>Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

This link works without needing to log in:-

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Is that what you used to get?

--
----------------
Stubbo of Oz

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Stubbo of Oz wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:19:55 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>>
>> I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
>> Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
>> is needed.
>> It's a free service provided by the government.
>> Both IE and FF report the same thing.
>>
>> While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.
>>
>> Yet I can get to this page?
>> <http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>
>>
>> Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

> This link works without needing to log in:-
>
> http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>
> Is that what you used to get?

The last archived version of the page he used to get is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200801101...fmcsa.dot.gov/

It's not the same.

This is still available from the main page, along with several other
links (at the bottom). You can't get to the home page without a
password.

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"You know you can indict a ham sandwich if you want to."
William J. Martini, Judge, United States District Court

Blinky the Shark

richard wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:37:20 -0500, "Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It looks as if your first link refers to an intranet site only available
>>from within the agency (employees)
>>

> So if you're getting that as well then their system is down. That password
> is only needed if you have an account in order to access your records and
> update data.
> Otherwise the system would show a page that is a simple search page with 3
> options.
>
> Thanks for the report. Now I know it's not my problem.

I couldn't even get that page. Looked like about 1.6KB was loading, and
then nothing else happened; nothing at all rendered.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Muhayya ibn Fayyad al-Muntahi

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>
> I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
> Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
> is needed.
> It's a free service provided by the government.
> Both IE and FF report the same thing.
>
> While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.
>
> Yet I can get to this page?
> <http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>
>
> Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

Here you go. Let me know when you've read that, and I'll be more than happy
to post extracts from other pages for you to read.

'Company Safety Records'

'The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) maintains several
Web sites that provide easy access to valuable safety-related information.
Users only need a company's name, USDOT number or motor carrier (MC) number
to perform a search. Read the descriptions below to decide what you need.
SafeStat Online

Search for Motor Carrier Safety Data and find out how the FMCSA uses this
data to enhance safety. SafeStat combines current and historical safety
performance information to measure the relative safety fitness of commercial
motor carriers. This information includes Federal and State data on crashes,
roadside inspections, on-site compliance review results and enforcement
history.

Safety and Fitness Electronic Records (SAFER) System

The Company Snapshot is a free service which provides a concise record of a
company's identification, size, cargo, inspection and out-of-service
summary, crash data and safety rating (if any).

The Company Safety Profile (CSP) is a fee-based service that offers more
safety-related information about an individual company's operation,
including selected items from inspection and crash reports, and results of
any reviews or enforcement actions involving the requested company.

Analysis & Information (A&I) Online

If you are arranging transportation for a group, the Passenger Carrier
Safety Web Site helps you select the right vehicle and find the safest
passenger carrier companies.'

richard

wrote:

>http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>
>I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
>Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
>is needed.
>It's a free service provided by the government.
>Both IE and FF report the same thing.
>
>While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.
>
>Yet I can get to this page?
><http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>
>
>Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

Apparenty a temp thing. Site is back online in normal operation.

Zhai Pang Yuen

richard jowled:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:19:55 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/
>>
>> I am suddenly being told I need a username and password.
>> Excuse me, hello, there is no place to obtain either because neither
>> is needed.
>> It's a free service provided by the government.
>> Both IE and FF report the same thing.
>>
>> While half an hour ago I was in the site with no problems.
>>
>> Yet I can get to this page?
>> <http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/sites/company-safety.htm>
>>
>> Maybe a temporary thing. I hope.

> Apparenty a temp thing. Site is back online in normal operation.

Who give a flying **** about that except you...

.... so you don't want anymore pages posted for you to read at your ****ed up
leisure, no?

Bye!