Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Clarification on Number of Disk Partitions?

Clarification on Number of Disk Partitions?

Will Hay

Am I correct in thinking that a HD can only have 4 partitions - 1 Primary
DOS, 1 Extended DOS(Containing Logical Drives) and 2 others. Also, is this
restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only hold
4 entries.

Thanks

John D Loop

"Will Hay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c2f9f2$vue$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am I correct in thinking that a HD can only have 4 partitions - 1 Primary
> DOS, 1 Extended DOS(Containing Logical Drives) and 2 others. Also, is this
> restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only

hold
> 4 entries.
>
> Thanks

I believe this is correct. Windows FDISK restricts you to 1 primary. Other
tools will let you have more than 1 primary.
The install tools of XP/Win2k/Linux will add a second primary if one already
exists (if there is free space)- that is how you can multiboot.
The initial boot screen will let you choose which primary partition to make
active.
One of the 4 can be an extended partition, in which you can place multiple
(8?) logical drives.
John--
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com
You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
over again.

sAxMAn

"John D Loop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sKG2c.35504$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Will Hay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c2f9f2$vue$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Am I correct in thinking that a HD can only have 4 partitions - 1

Primary
> > DOS, 1 Extended DOS(Containing Logical Drives) and 2 others. Also, is

this
> > restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only

> hold
> > 4 entries.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I believe this is correct. Windows FDISK restricts you to 1 primary.

Other
> tools will let you have more than 1 primary.
> The install tools of XP/Win2k/Linux will add a second primary if one

already
> exists (if there is free space)- that is how you can multiboot.
> The initial boot screen will let you choose which primary partition to

make
> active.
> One of the 4 can be an extended partition, in which you can place multiple
> (8?) logical drives.
> John--
> Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

wireless
> homenetworking environments!
> www.pccitizen.com
> You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
> let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
> over again.

You can have up to 23 logical partitions in the extended partition.

jim6538

If its Windows 2000 with dynamic drives there is no restriction on the
number of volumes. I have over 350 partitions on a stiped volume. I've
found it easier to manage a web server with individual volumes for
each web site's content. When I install a new site I just create a
volume out of the unpartitioned space and mount it to a folder. This
way the site's owner is restricted to the amount of space purchased.
If they buy more space I extend the volume. You could use quotas but
I've found this works well for me.