Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Perils of getting Paid

Perils of getting Paid

Tom

Hi,
I am still new to the Computer Repair field, and have been certified for
a number of years now. Usually when I finish a job I say something like
"I accept Cash and Checks with proper identification". Recently, I did a
repair, and when I was finished the customer gave me $50.00, telling me
that he would give me the other $100.00 in a couple of days when he could
get to the Bank. I wrote out a receipt for the $50.00 and noted that
there was $100.00 remaining to be paid. On a seperate piece of paper I
also detailed everything I repaired and noted that he gave me $50.00 with
a $100.00 balance remaining to be payed by March 2nd 2004

I had him sign this.

Late yesterday, I was in his neighborhood on business so I stopped by to
see if he had the money.

He said he would drop by my office in a couple of hours with the check.

He never showed up.

It doesn't look like I am ever going to see the rest of the money owed to
me by this guy.

I would be interested to find out how others handle situations like this
one. I believe that people are basically honest and good, and almost all
of the repairs I have done usually end on a positive note.(getting paid)

So, my question is: How do the other Computer Techs in this group handle
situations such as this, when it looks like your not going to get paid,
or paid in full. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
Thank You!

Tom

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi,
> I am still new to the Computer Repair field, and have been certified for
> a number of years now. Usually when I finish a job I say something like
> "I accept Cash and Checks with proper identification". Recently, I did a
> repair, and when I was finished the customer gave me $50.00, telling me
> that he would give me the other $100.00 in a couple of days when he could
> get to the Bank. I wrote out a receipt for the $50.00 and noted that
> there was $100.00 remaining to be paid. On a seperate piece of paper I
> also detailed everything I repaired and noted that he gave me $50.00 with
> a $100.00 balance remaining to be payed by March 2nd 2004
>
> I had him sign this.
>
> Late yesterday, I was in his neighborhood on business so I stopped by to
> see if he had the money.
>
> He said he would drop by my office in a couple of hours with the check.
>
> He never showed up.
>
> It doesn't look like I am ever going to see the rest of the money owed to
> me by this guy.
>
> I would be interested to find out how others handle situations like this
> one. I believe that people are basically honest and good, and almost all
> of the repairs I have done usually end on a positive note.(getting paid)
>
> So, my question is: How do the other Computer Techs in this group handle
> situations such as this, when it looks like your not going to get paid,
> or paid in full. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
> Thank You!

Thanks for the wise words. The points that have been brought up are
all very helpful.

Syphillus

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Hi,
> > I am still new to the Computer Repair field, and have been certified for
> > a number of years now. Usually when I finish a job I say something like
> > "I accept Cash and Checks with proper identification". Recently, I did

> > repair, and when I was finished the customer gave me $50.00, telling me
> > that he would give me the other $100.00 in a couple of days when he

could
> > get to the Bank. I wrote out a receipt for the $50.00 and noted that
> > there was $100.00 remaining to be paid. On a seperate piece of paper I
> > also detailed everything I repaired and noted that he gave me $50.00

with
> > a $100.00 balance remaining to be payed by March 2nd 2004
> >
> > I had him sign this.
> >
> > Late yesterday, I was in his neighborhood on business so I stopped by to
> > see if he had the money.
> >
> > He said he would drop by my office in a couple of hours with the check.
> >
> > He never showed up.
> >
> > It doesn't look like I am ever going to see the rest of the money owed

> > me by this guy.
> >
> > I would be interested to find out how others handle situations like this
> > one. I believe that people are basically honest and good, and almost

all
> > of the repairs I have done usually end on a positive note.(getting paid)
> >
> > So, my question is: How do the other Computer Techs in this group

handle
> > situations such as this, when it looks like your not going to get paid,
> > or paid in full. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
> > Thank You!
> >

> Thanks for the wise words. The points that have been brought up are
> all very helpful.

Tom

In article <z1T1c.8638$(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qox1c.18184$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> >
> > "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > Hi,
> > > I am still new to the Computer Repair field, and have been certified for
> > > a number of years now. Usually when I finish a job I say something like
> > > "I accept Cash and Checks with proper identification". Recently, I did

> > > repair, and when I was finished the customer gave me $50.00, telling me
> > > that he would give me the other $100.00 in a couple of days when he

> could
> > > get to the Bank. I wrote out a receipt for the $50.00 and noted that
> > > there was $100.00 remaining to be paid. On a seperate piece of paper I
> > > also detailed everything I repaired and noted that he gave me $50.00

> with
> > > a $100.00 balance remaining to be payed by March 2nd 2004
> > >
> > > I had him sign this.
> > >
> > > Late yesterday, I was in his neighborhood on business so I stopped by to
> > > see if he had the money.
> > >
> > > He said he would drop by my office in a couple of hours with the check.
> > >
> > > He never showed up.
> > >
> > > It doesn't look like I am ever going to see the rest of the money owed

> > > me by this guy.
> > >
> > > I would be interested to find out how others handle situations like this
> > > one. I believe that people are basically honest and good, and almost

> all
> > > of the repairs I have done usually end on a positive note.(getting paid)
> > >
> > > So, my question is: How do the other Computer Techs in this group

> handle
> > > situations such as this, when it looks like your not going to get paid,
> > > or paid in full. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
> > > Thank You!

> > You should have full control of the merchandise until you're fully paid.
> > IOW, keep the computer IN YOUR POSSESSION until you've gotten all the

> $$$$$
> > owed to you, then deliver the goods.
> >

> The downside to keeping the goods is being at the persons home...

An Excellent Point!

Paul

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:53:57 -0500, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, my question is: How do the other Computer Techs in this group handle
>situations such as this, when it looks like your not going to get paid,
>or paid in full. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
> Thank You!

First off, I stay away from home users.

Second, if in doubt, give a fixed price beforehand and ask how they
will be paying. If you get a bad vibe, tell then that you just got
ripped off last month, so you now have a pay up front policy.

If you do get ripped off, collection agencys will give about 30% for
home users. You must, as you have, got good signed documentation.

I would expect to get ripped off once or twice a year, but I've been
lucky up to this point, but as I said, I stay away from home users.

Hope this helps,
--
Paul Whitehead
(E-Mail Removed)