Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Token Ring Network Question

Token Ring Network Question

Will Hay

Just curious - when a token is passed to a workstation what stops that
worksation hogging the network. i.e. if a workstation wants to send a few
Gig of data do the other workstations have to wait or is there a time limit
a ws can hold the token. The books I have are not clear on the matter.

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick

"Will Hay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1tnss$jmc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious - when a token is passed to a workstation what stops that
> worksation hogging the network. i.e. if a workstation wants to send a few
> Gig of data do the other workstations have to wait or is there a time

limit
> a ws can hold the token. The books I have are not clear on the matter.
>
> Thanks

Token Ring has time-related and attribute-related mechanisms to force a
workstation to release the token if it seems to be hogging it and to not try
and use it too often.

Very brief summary here: http://www.cdk3.net/networking/Ed2/TokenRing.pdf

NK

RING RING RING Dashing through the wind, In a four dog dragged sleigh. Oh the street we go, laughing all the way Mathematician C++ 0 12-24-2006 02:26 PM
Token Ring Routers JWC Cisco 0 12-05-2003 11:46 PM
Token ring pinout Walter Roberson Cisco 5 11-17-2003 01:09 PM
Token Ring Translation Roger Cisco 1 10-20-2003 03:47 PM
Ring ring....ring ring.... Slumpy Computer Support 1 07-06-2003 10:57 PM

Advertisments