Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > bios password

bios password

lorenzoamante@tiscali.co.uk

Hi all,
does anybody knows how to reset the bios password on
a toshiba portege m100 laptop without sending it
to the toshiba auth service?
it is very important for me to know that, please!
thank you very much.

lorenzo.

Anthony & Virginia

Try pulling the CMOS battery out and restarting the computer. There also
might be a jumper on the motherboard to reset the password.

Good luck.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> does anybody knows how to reset the bios password on
> a toshiba portege m100 laptop without sending it
> to the toshiba auth service?
> it is very important for me to know that, please!
> thank you very much.
>
> lorenzo.

lorenzoamante@tiscali.co.uk

thank you, but doesn't work...i took off the cmos battery, and
short-circuited the mobo connector for it. and doesn't work...i'm
keeping the short-circuit to see if it's just a question of time, i.e.
discharging the capacitors...
am I on the wrong cmos battery? is the one located close to the wi-fi
circutry...don't know what else I can do...keep waiting.
cheers, lorenzo.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:43:40 GMT, "Anthony & Virginia"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try pulling the CMOS battery out and restarting the computer. There also
>might be a jumper on the motherboard to reset the password.
>
>Good luck.

lorenzoamante@tiscali.co.uk

I did that....doesn't work, thanx

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:40:37 -0600, "Judd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did you take the main battery out of the laptop before pulling the CMOS
>battery?

lorenzo amante

oops!!!

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:32:31 -0500, "Kathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Read Barry's post
>

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I did that....doesn't work, thanx
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:40:37 -0600, "Judd"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Did you take the main battery out of the laptop before pulling the

>CMOS
>> >battery?

Ronnie Broyles

Toshiba technical support can walk you through the steps to reset the
password--assuming you own the laptop and simply forgot the cmos password.
If, however, the laptop is not your computer I would suggest that you forget
the idea of cracking the password. Just my thoughts.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> does anybody knows how to reset the bios password on
> a toshiba portege m100 laptop without sending it
> to the toshiba auth service?
> it is very important for me to know that, please!
> thank you very much.
>
> lorenzo.

Vic Evans

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:07:49 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know how to clear the password on most Toshiba laptops, but until I
>have assurance that you are the owner and not someone who has come into
>posession of a stolen laptop, it's information that I won't give out.
>However, pulling the battery will NOT do it, not on Toshiba or on any
>laptop made since the early 1990's.

I can understand why Barry is reluctant to get involved in this as I
won't get directly into it either. Most thieves who specialize in
stealing laptops and electronic equipment have people who know how to
remove this protection.

This information is also in "the wild" and is quickly and freely
available by anyone who carefully searches the Usenet archives.

If a person doesn't know how to do that, they likely can't handle the
password removal and should take the unit to a reliable service depot.

Best wishes,

Vic Evans

ChrisW

Vic Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:07:49 GMT, Barry Watzman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> I can understand why Barry is reluctant to get involved in this as I
> won't get directly into it either. Most thieves who specialize in
> stealing laptops and electronic equipment have people who know how to
> remove this protection.
>
> This information is also in "the wild" and is quickly and freely
> available by anyone who carefully searches the Usenet archives.

Just for the heck of it I did a search on how to do this and was quite surprised
when it took less then a minute to find not only how to do it, but it listed the
types and years with each way.

I also learned how to do it for a Dell Note Book which my daughter owns, so that
I made a note of.

ChrisW