Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > All computers accessing a single Outlook Express account?

All computers accessing a single Outlook Express account?

dstvns

Hi,

I've been toying around with the idea of a single Outlook Express
incoming e-mail folder. I was hoping to get 4 separate PCs to share
the same folder on one computer. I was hoping they could share it
through network neighborhood. This would allow each computer to have
its own Outlook Express program, but they all shared the same e-mail
folders, therefore various incoming e-mails would not be spread all
across the office on different computers.

The main folder would be local to the internet-connected (dial-up)
computer, so in case of network problems e-mail would still be
accessible there. However, I've been having difficulty in changing
over to the shared account so that each PC can share the same folder.
I believe the proper shared folder would be something like this:

\\MainComp\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Identities\{329074109721\Microsoft\Outlook Express

How would I link the separate Outlook Express programs to this exact
shared folder? Synchronizing? Would I need to edit the registry?
If someone can point me toward the proper registry entry I would
greatly appreciate it, thanks very much,

Dan

jim6538

If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
and link everyone else's to it.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:05:22 -0500, dstvns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been toying around with the idea of a single Outlook Express
>incoming e-mail folder. I was hoping to get 4 separate PCs to share
>the same folder on one computer. I was hoping they could share it
>through network neighborhood. This would allow each computer to have
>its own Outlook Express program, but they all shared the same e-mail
>folders, therefore various incoming e-mails would not be spread all
>across the office on different computers.
>
>The main folder would be local to the internet-connected (dial-up)
>computer, so in case of network problems e-mail would still be
>accessible there. However, I've been having difficulty in changing
>over to the shared account so that each PC can share the same folder.
>I believe the proper shared folder would be something like this:
>
>\\MainComp\WINDOWS\Application
>Data\Identities\{329074109721\Microsoft\Outlook Express
>
>How would I link the separate Outlook Express programs to this exact
>shared folder? Synchronizing? Would I need to edit the registry?
>If someone can point me toward the proper registry entry I would
>greatly appreciate it, thanks very much,
>
>Dan

dstvns

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:56:42 GMT, jim6538
<jim6538<NOSPAM>@nebutel.com> wrote:

>If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
>and link everyone else's to it.

Sadly, it's not. However, I did find the field in the registry that I
was searching for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\<long security
code>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root value

This looks like the field which decides where all the mail goes. If I
can re-align this field on the client computers and share the same
folder with no resource conflicts arising (ie Outlook crashing on
everyones computers when the same folder is accessed at the same time
;P ), then it would be awesome

Dan

GoGators

"dstvns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:56:42 GMT, jim6538
> <jim6538<NOSPAM>@nebutel.com> wrote:
>
> >If your OS is Win2k you can use DFS. Share the folder as the DFS root
> >and link everyone else's to it.

> Sadly, it's not. However, I did find the field in the registry that I
> was searching for:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\<long security
> code>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root value
>
> This looks like the field which decides where all the mail goes. If I
> can re-align this field on the client computers and share the same
> folder with no resource conflicts arising (ie Outlook crashing on
> everyones computers when the same folder is accessed at the same time
> ;P ), then it would be awesome
>
> Dan

uh...why not just go into Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Maintenance,
Store Folder, Change and point it to a mapped drive?

GoGators

dstvns

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:22:58 GMT, "GoGators" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>uh...why not just go into Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Maintenance,
>Store Folder, Change and point it to a mapped drive?

That will work. I just couldn't find it in the options tabs. Thanks,

Dan