Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > DDR vs. SD RAM

DDR vs. SD RAM

natural_4u

Just on anyone's opinion, would you rather have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133 or
512MB of DDRAM PC266

with a Pentium 4 2.4 b GHZ

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

David BlandIII

It all depended upon whether I was going for speed or needed the most
memory.

--
David Bland

"natural_4u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Just on anyone's opinion, would you rather have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133 or
> 512MB of DDRAM PC266
>
> with a Pentium 4 2.4 b GHZ
>

> Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

RussS

DDR

Creative Door

Yes, i had one of those early systems that could handle both sd and ddr, i
started out with sd, and upgraded to ddr eventually, i wasn't expecting any
huge difference, but to my surprise the system sure ran a lot faster after
the switch. I would definately recommend the DDR, 512 megs is good for most
stuff, unless your running some memory intensive software, go with the ddr

"natural_4u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Just on anyone's opinion, would you rather have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133 or
> 512MB of DDRAM PC266
>
> with a Pentium 4 2.4 b GHZ
>

> Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You do not want SDRAM with any Pentium 4 under any circumstances. It
> will cost you the equivalent of about 25% of the CPU speed (e.g. your
> 2.4 GHz will perform more like 1.8 GHz).
>
> You either want DDR or RDRAM (Rambus; no longer being sold for new
> desktop systems, but still used in some older motherboards and also in
> some networking systems).
>
> Also, in most cases, any one motherboard will take one and only one type
> of memory, for any given system, it's usually not a choice (there were a
> FEW systems that could take both SDRAM and early DDR, however).

Actually I have a board that takes both SDRAM and DDR. You can use only one
at a time. I bought it because at the time I didn't have enough money for
new RAM and still wanted to upgrade later.
I don't remember what model I used. I've since broken the AGP slot on that
board and gotten another but the link below is to a page that describes one
that does take both.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=22&depa=1

Personally I'd recommend the DDR because it runs so much faster.
AG

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:51:38 GMT, "David BlandIII" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It all depended upon whether I was going for speed or needed the most
>memory.

I have rather limited needs myself as far as RAM goes. I am trying to
imagine a (home) scenario where 512 M was not enough. I suspect that
they must exist, but can anyone outline a specific scenario where the
HDD is being paged when there is 512M of physical RAM, in other words,
a scenario where 512M of physical RAM is insufficient to support the
OS and running software (other than a server)? Thanks.

Tom

David BlandIII

Tom,

I have 512MB DDR installed in my PC and I frequently run into RAM problems.
I sometimes keep my MBD's memory utility running so I can look at the RAM
allocation dynamically and on many occasions I run into the "swap meet"
blues.

It all depends upon how many and what kinds of applications you run
concurrently.
I can easily get bogged down when opening several pages of my net browser
while running my Music Match program and a multimedia app or two in the
back-
ground. Another problem that I frequently get that prompts me to plan to up
my
RAM to 1 GB is that I seem to have more than one problem with applications
that fail to release their memory upon termination. Thus after closing one
such app
and launching another my system quickly turns into a vat of molasses. The
extra
memory will keep me from having to reboot as often.

Lastly running concurrent programs that deal with video playback or
streaming,
image manipulation and or music will bring 512MB RAM to its knees very
quickly.
So it all depends on you usage habits. Just my two cents worth.

--
David Bland

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:51:38 GMT, "David BlandIII" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >It all depended upon whether I was going for speed or needed the most
> >memory.

> I have rather limited needs myself as far as RAM goes. I am trying to
> imagine a (home) scenario where 512 M was not enough. I suspect that
> they must exist, but can anyone outline a specific scenario where the
> HDD is being paged when there is 512M of physical RAM, in other words,
> a scenario where 512M of physical RAM is insufficient to support the
> OS and running software (other than a server)? Thanks.
>
> Tom

natural_4u

From what I've read, there is a lot of opinions on using both, meaning... it
couldn't hurt with either opinions. I currently have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133,
so I'm gonna stick with this for now and when I have enough money to spare,
I will upgrade to 1GB of DDR.

Also, I do watch a lot of video and play a lot of music and have a TV
tuner... so I guess the extra RAM will will come in handy.

"natural_4u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Just on anyone's opinion, would you rather have 1 GB of SDRAM PC 133 or
> 512MB of DDRAM PC266
>
> with a Pentium 4 2.4 b GHZ
>

> Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

RussS

Tom - Using Photoshop with big files does it every time. Most of my clients
who do ad work using Photoshop like to run a Gig - more is possible.

David - MusicMatch I stay away from - tends to hog memory and not release it
cleanly (I think perhaps a combination issue, but only happened for me with
MM).
I have also noticed that some other MultiMedia apps are chronic for that
exact same issue too.

RussS

Hey dood

You will find that 512 of DDR will totally cream 1 Gb of SD. However since
it appears that you have one of the earlier MotherBoards I am not certain if
you would get the full benefit of DDR, but the increase from 133 to 266
would certainly not go astray.