Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > XP Home upgrading to Pro

XP Home upgrading to Pro

Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

Hey all!

I need to upgrade 2 machines that were OEM with XP Home to XP Pro. (It is a
full version of Pro, not the upgrade version) While I would assume that
such a thing would be nice and smooth, I also have that nagging twinge of
worry in my head that is whispering "You're still upgrading the OS...
beware!"

Anyone happen to have done this before? Did you have to re-install
applications or any drivers or did it go as smoothly as one would think it
_should_ ?? Do I need to set aside an entire day for this, with rebuilding
apps and directories, or is this just a couple hours tops you think?

Thanks much and yes, I will perform a complete backup and say the required
Microsoft Incantations and VooDoo dances before starting it.

Thanks!

Tracy

John D Loop

"Tracy & the SWAMPdogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all!
>
> I need to upgrade 2 machines that were OEM with XP Home to XP Pro. (It is

> full version of Pro, not the upgrade version) While I would assume that
> such a thing would be nice and smooth, I also have that nagging twinge of
> worry in my head that is whispering "You're still upgrading the OS...
> beware!"
>
> Anyone happen to have done this before? Did you have to re-install
> applications or any drivers or did it go as smoothly as one would think it
> _should_ ?? Do I need to set aside an entire day for this, with

rebuilding
> apps and directories, or is this just a couple hours tops you think?
>
> Thanks much and yes, I will perform a complete backup and say the required
> Microsoft Incantations and VooDoo dances before starting it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tracy

Upgrading should be no problem. However you have another option. Even the
upgrade XP Pro lets you install a clean version on another partition.
Thus you can have both environments on the same PC. Assuming you have
enough disk space, just buy partition magic and shrink the XP HOme
partition down to 10 MB or so. You can then install XP Pro to the new
partition. And you will still have access to all the apps on the XP home
side.
John
--
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!

Changeling

Why are you doing an upgrade???

There are only two major differences beween Home and Pro.

Home needs to be registered Pro doesn't.

You do get additional features with Pro BUT these features are available to
home users but need to installed manually as add-ons.

Thats it apart from that there are no differences.

Ade A+
"Tracy & the SWAMPdogs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all!
>
> I need to upgrade 2 machines that were OEM with XP Home to XP Pro. (It is

> full version of Pro, not the upgrade version) While I would assume that
> such a thing would be nice and smooth, I also have that nagging twinge of
> worry in my head that is whispering "You're still upgrading the OS...
> beware!"
>
> Anyone happen to have done this before? Did you have to re-install
> applications or any drivers or did it go as smoothly as one would think it
> _should_ ?? Do I need to set aside an entire day for this, with

rebuilding
> apps and directories, or is this just a couple hours tops you think?
>
> Thanks much and yes, I will perform a complete backup and say the required
> Microsoft Incantations and VooDoo dances before starting it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tracy

John Loop

"BLueCoBra" <bluecobra@*nospam*intergate.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Upgrading should be no problem. However you have another option. Even

> the
> > upgrade XP Pro lets you install a clean version on another partition.
> > Thus you can have both environments on the same PC. Assuming you have
> > enough disk space, just buy partition magic and shrink the XP HOme
> > partition down to 10 MB or so. You can then install XP Pro to the new
> > partition. And you will still have access to all the apps on the XP

home
> > side.
> > John
> > --

> ....10MB??? I think he means 10GB

Yes, thank you. 10MB would be a little tough.... I don't think IE fits
in 10 MB anymore.....
J--
www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
over again..

Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

Those would be the reasons, yes. Mainly the security features, in
particular the file encryption. It is also what I will be working with more
when I am out of the Network Security program I am attending, so I want to
be more familar with it.

Thanks!

Tracy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...